1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

are watches going bye bye?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by AirForceShooter, Apr 19, 2006.

1. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

17 years of 7x24 including showers for my Rolex GMT Master II with zero service. I take it off once a day to dry it after the shower. I suppose I should send it in for a cleaning one of these days...

-john

2. Blue Jays

Blue Jays Empty Pockets

Maintenance is cheaper than repair

Hi JohnN-

Keep your fingers crossed that there isn't corrosion within your Rolex due to dried seals/gaskets that should have been serviced a decade ago.  Yours is the unfortunate situation when one can potentially encounter a bill of over $1000.00 rather than a much lower one for periodic maintenance.  Particles of dust mixed with old congealed lubricant can create an abrasive paste that grinds precision watch components.  It simply doesn't pay to refuse a watch the maintenance it deserves every five or so years.

~ Blue Jays ~

3. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

Considering the fact that a basic service with Rolex costs $500, I'm not sure you are really saving anything.

-john

4. Blue Jays

Blue Jays Empty Pockets

Prices depend on your relationship with the jeweler...

Hi JohnN-

The individual Rolex retailer will oftentimes work with repeat customers in terms of ongoing maintenance prices.  They don't have too much flexibility on pricing for the watches themselves due to corporate "shoppers" seeking jewelers willing to discount and dilute the brand, but they'll work with you on periodic cleaning, lubricating, and repairs.

One wouldn't go 50,000 miles between oil changes in their car or truck and the same is true with watches.  The repair prices can (and will) skyrocket if there is pitting and/or major corrosion.  That is just part of owning an automatic watch. Maintenance is worth it.

~ Blue Jays ~

5. foxy

foxy Empty Pockets

I only wear my wristwatch to work - I never wear it off duty - I have my cell phone for that - it only takes me an extra second to pull it out of my pocket and I just dont like having a watch on for 16 hours a day - it gets uncomfortable to me and I dont like the watch tan line. However on duty, I need to tell time by the second so its necessary. Also I wear it when SCUBA but otherwise, I dont wear it.

6. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

God, I hope not!! I have been wearing a TAG for several years now!! I LOVE it!! It even has a green face, and is automatic!! I LOVE it!! I am alsohooked on watches too!! Watches are a thing of beauty to me!!

7. kamkazmoto

kamkazmoto Empty Pockets

About 15-20 years of wearing my watch 24-7. That is a lot of showers, baths and steam baths. In all that time I have had it serviced twice with no major wear. It probably needs to be cleaned again but so far so good.

8. Evolute

Evolute Empty Pockets

I guess I'm in the minority, here, because I have mostly phased watches out of my life. I wouldn't exactly say that my watch-rejection is part of a newfangled trend, though: I usually use the sun, moon, and stars to tell the time... and compared to that, watch-wearing is a very newfangled fashion trend. :laugh:

I carry a lot of EDC gear... photo gear for my business, emergency wilderness survival gear (because, with my business, that is a real concern), and handy everyday tools and necessities. I also enjoy when the gear and tools I carry are high quality and nice design. But I don't carry anything just for the sake of it being a well made piece of gear. A mere timepiece is of no use to me, because it is so redundant. In the unusual situations where I can't figure out the time within a few minutes from the sun, moon, stars, tide, plant behavior, animal behavior, honed sense, etc... then I do use my cell phone or camera or GPS to tell time. Indoors, there are clocks on the wall, on the dresser, on the stove top, on the microwave, on the VCR, on the cable box, on the computer screen, on more gizmos than I'd like. In cars, there's always a clock in the dashboard.

Besides, I don't have a constant need to know what time it is. Even if there weren't a million redundant ways to find out the time in every situation, I'd keep my watch in my pack like I keep my rain jacket or my toothpick, because I don't have a constant need to know the exact time, and it would be odd for me to keep such a rarely needed item strapped to me, ready for immediate use at all times.

I always hated wearing a watch. I feel the same way about clothes, too, and I don't wear more than necessary, either. When I did carry a watch, I always kept it strapped to my belt loop or my pack, because I didn't find it comfortable on my wrist.

A watch may also serve as men's jewelry, but I don't have any interest in wearing jewelry.

I do have a watch: a Casio Triple Sensor. I have it because of its other functions (altimeter/barometer, compass, thermometer, etc.). I only take it with me when I need those other functions, and in those cases I don't often put it into "time" mode, and I never wear it on my wrist.

I have no idea whether my own case is exemplary of a growing disinterest in wearing timepieces, but... now that I think about it, most of my close friends only wear watches occasionally.

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

9. auxcoastie

auxcoastie Empty Pockets

I wear a watch everyday. Not when showering or sleeping but that is me. As a Chemist and part time emt along with boat crew duties I need to know the time, pardon the pun, all the time.

10. wolf

wolf Loaded Pockets

The only time I don't wear a watch is when I'm in the shower (or other wet spots, saunas, lakes, rivers, etc.) or if I'm on vacation - and sometimes even then I'll wear it. I do use my cell phone for an alarm clock, though.

11. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

I'm going back to a pocketwatch. I just traded for a Swiss Army pocketwatch that will fit my EDC needs nicely. I just need to get a battery to get it up and running...

GG

12. thesurefire

thesurefire Empty Pockets

I sure hope not. I'm still young and a few of my friends wear watches. Most of them are more sporty and analog, but some still carry old fashioned watches. I personally think they are 'coming back' as a 'bling bling' think, not a keeping time thing. I actually know a kid that goes to my school that wears a Omega everyday, not for the ‘bling bling’ but because his parents gave it to him for his birthday. I doubt he has any idea how much the watch cost, or of what fine caliber of time piece he received, but he wears it for the simple reason of knowing what time it is.

13. Tom Anderson

Tom Anderson Empty Pockets

I'd rather keep the watch and leave the cell phone on the table.

:)

14. tesseract

tesseract Empty Pockets

I'm 18 years old and I've worn a watch daily for the last 8 years or so. (Teachers/professors seem to appreciate it when their students show up for class on time. :) ) A few of my friends wear watches as well, but I have definitely noticed the "cell phone as timepiece" trend. Though I have a cell phone, I feel it's no substitute for a watch because (a) I don't carry it unless I anticipate needing it that day, (b) it doesn't have an analog clock mode, and (c) glancing at my wrist is easier than fishing for my phone.

15. Blue Jays

Blue Jays Empty Pockets

Hi All-

You mean to tell me that you can obtain the time via plant and animal behavior with the same convenience as someone simply looking at the watch on his or her wrist?  Now you're pulling our legs.  A watch is critically important even during mundane activities like hiking because one will know exactly how many hours of daylight are remaining.  To essentially state that a watch is superfluous is an outrageous notion.

~ Blue Jays ~ 

16. spiffytech

spiffytech Empty Pockets

I'm 18, but I still wear a watch daily (have since the 6th grade). I have a Blackberry on my belt all the times, and a PDA in my pocket, but a watch just does it better. It's quicker, no-handed, lighter, and you can glance at it without being noticed.

I have noticed many people (my own brother, even) using their phones instead of watches, though. But these are the people who would rather spend their money on more minutes for their phone or some special piece of clothing or new music CD than buy a good dedicated device for something, anyway. I think that many people of my generation have been so inundated with disposable, intentionally poor quality materials that they don't appreciate investing a little more time/money in something that works very well doing what it's supposed to do. Not to say I'm exempt from that; I still like convergence and some cheap things, but when I find something that's worth the extra money (because it really is, not because it's popular), I'll go for it. I think I'm the exception for that in my generation, though.

17. laurent

laurent Empty Pockets

I like a lot watches, but for me they are just jewels. They may have there utility in outdoor, but in urban context, you got hour indication everywhere (from your computer to your car's clock, and from various public announcements - firefighter 12 o'clock siren, muezzin, churches' bell...).
    Since I got rid of my watch, and since I got frequent resetting through publically displayed hour, I generally can tell which time is it with a one-minute precision. And thus my cellphone clock is enough for my needs. And I got no more this awful untan mark on my wrist ^^

18. runruhn

runruhn Empty Pockets

Well, young kids *should* be using watches, since cell phones are prohibited in most, if not all, grade to high schools.

I personally like (Analog)watches a lot, no real reason why

19. pocketrocket

pocketrocket Banned

people still wear watches??

Years ago, men carried a watch in the watch pocket of their jacket or pants. Wrist watches are a recent innovation. Now with the advent of cell phones, why strap something to your arm? If for status, ok. Or if you are a diver or a pilot, i can see that. If you are on some secret mission where you arent carrying a cell phone, ok. Maybe you live in some rempote area that dosent get cell service... But joe shmoe like myself... I have a clock in my car, on my phone, on my desk, work truck, and everyone else around me has at least one of the above at their disposal, so my question to you is...

Why do you wear a watch??? :shrug:

20. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Empty Pockets

Re: people still wear watches??

Seldom. The thing about cell phones, cell phones die. If I'm out somewhere where I cant charge it, like the woods, I'll have a watch on sure as shootin'