1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

are watches going bye bye?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by AirForceShooter, Apr 19, 2006.

1. AirForceShooter

AirForceShooter Empty Pockets

Read an article that the wrist watch is fading out.
    Young kids just use their cell phones to tell time.
    Any thoughts?

2. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Nah, even I use the phone to tell time occasionally, but so many of the watches do more--and do so in a much more aesthetic manner, without having to press any buttons. And you can't take too many cell phones I know of (at least I'm not aware of any) diving with you--who are you going call? Your neighborhood loan shark? Sorry. :-[

I looked at some today that include barometers and heart-rate monitors. Not that future cell phones won't (maybe some present-day ones do...? I'm not up on all the phone gizmos). And I still like the lunar phase on the dial, not to mention pushing the little button in the middle of the night to make the Indiglo go. :) They are utilitarian jewelry, and even if they decline in popularity with the younger folks, too many of us still exist to make them obsolete. And it's much easier and faster to look at a wrist than pull out or dig for the cell phone. The worst is that they'd become like fountain pens or pocket watches--plenty of those around to collect. Or that they'll micro-size cell phones and include them in watches.

What I sometimes wonder is what percentage of younger folks can tell analog time...

3. AirForceShooter

AirForceShooter Empty Pockets

I have a pocket watch and a fountain pen.
    And they're not collector pieces.
    Geeze, am I that old??

AFS

4. Serigrapher83

Serigrapher83 Empty Pockets

What a shame that would be. I'm completely addicted to watches. The current piece for the last six years is a TAG Heuer, I can't imagine something else taking it's place for a long time. There is hope for the future though, my seven year old is begging for any of my past time-pieces (all analog). I can't see them going completely away.

5. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Naaaaah, I buy NEW fountain pens whenever I see one that meets my criteria: I love it AND I can afford it. I see plenty more that I would love to own, but they are a bit rich for my blood.

I've been looking at antique pocket watches for several years, but haven't found THE ONE yet, or when I did, it was already sold. Still on my wish list, though.

6. Blue Jays

Blue Jays Empty Pockets

Wristwatches are a needed tool

Hi All-

That same absurd story ran in my local newspaper as well. A wristwatch is used so frequently that digging around in pockets for a cellular telephone would be a...waste of time. An analog watch also has the capability to distinguish direction by using the sun...so one can always have a compass with them. A watch is also incredibly handy to have during active sports like bicycling, skiing, running, hiking, and motorcycling when one must keep accurate track of available daylight.

~ Blue Jays ~

7. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I don't think the watches are being fazed out. They said the same think about mazazine and newspapers years ago and they are still going strong.

8. Blue Jays

Blue Jays Empty Pockets

By segment is important, too...

Hi All-

As an aside, high-quality mechanical watches appear to have been unaffected by this trend. Folks who are in the market for a Patek Phillippe, Audemars Piguet, Breguet, IWC, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Blancpain, Panerai, Glashutte Original, Girard-Perregaux, Zenith, Omega, SINN, Fortis or similar will still be making their horological purchases as expected.

The migration towards cellular telephones as timepieces seems to have only impacted watches on the bottom-end of the scale.

~ Blue Jays ~

9. Mahachippy

Mahachippy Loaded Pockets

I agree, there is no substitute for a wrist watch....well okay, I might would choose a pocket watch over a wrist watch, but never ever a cell phone!

10. 7k7k99

7k7k99 Loaded Pockets

I don't believe watches are fading away. I would be lost without one. I have my Marathon Navigator Tritium on 24 hours a day, except in the shower. Of course, I am 52 years old and have had a watch since the third grade. I have a cell phone too, but never pay attention to the time or calendar function. That's what the watch is for.

11. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

You guys take your watches off for shower? The only time mine comes off is when I'm switching to another one!

As a friend used to say, watches are men's jewelry. They're a tool, a fashion statement, an EDC object, all-in-one.

12. Blue Jays

Blue Jays Empty Pockets

Hi Crocodilo-

Watches should never, never, never, ever go in a hot shower! This holds true from the most basic G-Shock right up to the most sophisticated Audemars Piguet automatic. Soaps, shampoos, and detergents are brutal on waterproof seals. The rapid change in temperature coupled with the drying effects of soap on the seals can result in seal failure.

Remove your watch and store it in another room before even starting the shower water.

~ Blue Jays ~

13. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Wow. Thanks for the advice.

14. Blue Jays

Blue Jays Empty Pockets

Hot water, cold water, tepid water, and detergents

Hi Crocodilo-

Isn't it funny how a watch that is perfectly comfortable being 1000 meters under salty seawater is at risk in a nice suburban bathroom?   :)  The best way to clean a watch is with clean tepid water and an old soft toothbrush.  If it is really, really dirty one could use a very sparing amount of mild liquid soap to get the job done.  If the watch is exposed to saltwater, it should be rinsed in freshwater as soon as possible.

~ Blue Jays ~    

15. simbad

simbad Loaded Pockets

Well, after sixteen years on my wrist my old Tag F1 had 365x16=5840 showers?  :boo: plus several inmersions at sea and swiming pools. It  only went to the shop three times for battery/o-ring change and is still working like its first day. I like wearing my watch 24 hours. 

16. Blue Jays

Blue Jays Empty Pockets

Hi simbad-

You're a lucky example. One wouldn't find a watch aficionado anywhere in the world who would agree with that course of action. All manufacturers are in 100% agreement and specifically recommend against that practice. One should simply check the time before they hop in the shower and leave the timepiece in a non-steamy environment.

~ Blue Jays ~

17. simbad

simbad Loaded Pockets

Hi Blue Jays, I know what you mean, I remember my dad telling me when he gave me my first Seiko watch as a gift on my 15th birthday: "don't wear your watch in the shower". I am thinking in buying the new F1 model, just thinking because is a bit pricey, but if I get it I will not tke it to the shower.. :tickedoff:

18. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I certainly hope they don't go bye bye.

19. Blue Jays

Blue Jays Empty Pockets

Hi All-

Assuming the newspaper accounts are accurate about watches in the inexpensive categories losing popularity, I don't feel this really affects people who are active participants in this forum.  I get the distinct feeling that most who enjoy posting here take pride in having high-quality gear as best as they can afford.  That's similarly why we rely upon folding pocketknives that cost $100.00 and not some low-grade Pakistani junk that can be purchased at the flea market for $3.00 or less.  Most people wouldn't understand that concept, either.  I'll pay for reliability and durability.

Just because it's become trendy for teenagers not to wear timepieces on their wrists doesn't mean I'm going to follow the trend! 

:)

~ Blue Jays ~

20. Co_Outdoorsman

Co_Outdoorsman Loaded Pockets

Nor am I wearing my britches down around my knees and my hat down over my eyes... :crazy2: