1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are Walmart knives any good?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bryan123, Dec 19, 2016.

1. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I think my point got lost in my explanation. I revised my post above to make it more clear.
    Lower-end knives that release from shaking (such as Smith & Wesson) are dangerous. I don't know if they are a threat to the public, but they are certainly a threat to the user.

My point was that a lower-end knife by a reputable maker, such as Kershaw, is a much better option than a low-end knife that is simply not put together right. In the past, many of the knives sold by Walmart fell into the not-put-together-right category. For the casual buyer, a cheap Walmart Kershaw is a much better purchase than a normal cheap knife of dubious origin.

Last edited by jag-engr, Dec 21, 2016
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I had a feeling that was the case,it is sometimes too easy to take comments that are typed out of context when read.
    Thanks for the splainin'!

I do think though that the guy who will buy the $4 knife is more likely to use it as not intended too thus getting hurt than many enthusiasts like us who actually may consider a knifes limitations,if you know what I mean?

3. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

I don't know, I believe those companies will make anything Walmart wants, as long as they don't have to put their name on it. I believe once it says Buck Knives it will be the same quality as any other Buck Knife. Why ruin their reputation for Walmart's sake???

baccar-3 likes this.
  4. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

The Kershaw $20 knife set has serial numbers that read *******WM******* with the WM for Walmart. They have the same Kershaw logo as all other Kershaw knives.

I saw some reviews on Youtube. Flip action was nice on the no-name knife with the 3.5 inch blade that looks like a Skyline but isn't. The steel was said to be of lower quailty than the regular Kershaws. A decent knife for the price I guess.

5. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Shike, I hope you're right and that this is a mistake by the QC inspector.
    This is a picture of the awl of the Victorinox I bought at WM.
    I did email the Swiss folks and will post the reply when I get it.

[​IMG]swissflaw by ?, on Flickr

Never used, right out of the box.
    Sorry about the poor pic;best I could do with my little camera.

Shike likes this.
  6. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Ouch. Was there anything on the packaging of your Victorinox knife to indicate that it had passed quality control or that it was steered toward WM after failing QC, such as ******WM***** in the serial number?

7. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

I didn't see anything indicating it was a WM special.
    Here are a couple of pics of both sides of the main blade.

[​IMG]PC210271 by ?, on Flickr

[​IMG]PC210272 by ?, on Flickr

Shike likes this.
  8. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I think you just picked a lemon with that Victorinox. Afaik they simply don't sell items that didn't pass QC.
    Maybe this one slipped but they have such a good reputation because it nearly never happens and because they usually replace any damaged item.

baccar-3 and Shike like this.
  9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Walmart are known for negotiating/dictating to suppliers what they want. In principle, it is no different than a supermarket chain having canned vegetables private labelled for them from a 'name' supplier.

Except. The private labelled canned vegetables do not have the brand name on the label of the 'name' supplier. The consumer does not believe they are purchasing something of the quality level associated with the national brand.

I feel rather strongly that just having a two letter code in small print on the label to indicate it is a special product for Walmart (or any other chain that wants a budget item to help their profit margin) is in effect cheating the consumer. If the brand name on the label is a known, national brand, the consumer will be expecting that level of performance and quality. In my NOT very humble opinion, what Walmart is doing as described in this thread is unethical.

And for that matter, Kershaw are being fools. Even if the product code does have the two letter designation to make it legal, the marketing team at Kershaw are jeopardizing their brand identity . What idiots.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

baccar-3, Shike and bryan123 like this.
  10. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

They have the CRKT Drifter and pocket tool set for 20$. Not bad, its a high value knife. Other than that I didn't see anything that interesting.

11. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

Agree 100% !

baccar-3 likes this.
  12. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

Was it a blister pack? or could someone have used it and put it back in the box????

bryan123 likes this.
  13. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Good question....Blister packs may be a pain but at least you know that you'll be the first one who uses it.

14. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Hey does anyone know if the CRKT Drifter currently available at Walmart is the actual Drifter as opposed to a Walmart-version of the Drifter? It comes in a blister pack with a Viva multi-tool.

If it's the genuine article I will most likely buy it.

Thanks

15. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Yes, it was also in a sealed box; I ordered on line and picked it up at the store.

16. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Here's the reply from Victorinox.

Thank you for your request. The Super Tinker you bought at Walmart is exactly the same as one purchased from us directly. Sometimes Walmart may request different packaging on our products but we never make Swiss Army Knives with anything but the best material.

Sincerely,
    Timothy
    Customer Support
    Victorinox Swiss Army

Please note that we will conduct our physical inventory Monday January 2, 2017 through Friday January 6, 2017. During this week our Distribution Center will not ship or receive any product. All orders will be processed normally and held until we resume normal shipping and receiving on Monday January 9, 2017.

I sent the pics posted on here.
    We'll see where it goes from there.

17. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

email CRKT customer service and ask that question.

bryan123 likes this.
  18. dcmassena

dcmassena Loaded Pockets

I do the same thing. In fact this New Years I'm going to Ill for a few days and I'm not planning on checking a bag, so my Strider won't be coming. I'll need to pick up a cheap knife as the Spyderco I left at my parents house last time got stuck in my dad's pocket...lol. For some reason it won't come out of there. Bummer.

19. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

I just got off the phone with CRKT customer service and spoke with a nice helpful guy. He says that they do have an account with WM and the combo pack with the SS Drifter and Viva are the same version that we would get directly from them.

Seeing as how the Drifter has received good reviews and seems to be in the same class as the Zancudo and Rat 2, I'll give it a try.

Adahn likes this.
  20. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

You can also try the Sanrenmu 707 which is the same knife as the Drifter but branded for the Asian and Russian market (I'd say Sanrenmu Knives is producing the Drifter, too, just as some Spyderco budget models). Around $13 shipped.

bryan123 likes this.