1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are Walmart knives any good?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bryan123, Dec 19, 2016.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Yesterday I was at my local Walmart and I checked out the offerings in their sporting goods department. I saw their usual generic knife line (Ozark Trails?) as well as some brand name stuff.

Inside a locked glass case were some Leatherman tools and some Kershaws and some Spydercos. These appeared to be legit.

Not sure however about a 3 piece Kershaw set selling for $20. Contained a no-name 3.5 inch folder that resembles a Skyline, a keychain folder with a bottle opener, and what appears to be a screwdriver tool.

Since at $20 there's no way this could be an actual Skyline, I passed on it.

They also had on sale for $20 a CRKT Drifter and Viva combination pack. Any good?

2. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

This? Well, you get what you pay for. The knives should be solid, the blade steel is on the lower end.
    It might take a decent edge and dull quickly but Victorinox knives aren't made of a much better steel and still sell well.

For light duty I'd say it's a good bargain, esp. with the bottle opener knife and the screwdriver with the standard torx bits for folding knives.
    If/when the knifoholism will drag you down more you'll spend more on more expensive knives, if they are "better" or just more expensive lies in the eye of the beholder.

Gary Gross and bryan123 like this.
  3. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

This is it. I'm kind of surprused that Kershaw would have a low end line of no-name knives in addition to their regular line of good quality knives. I would think that the low enders would hurt their reputation.

Do any of the other brands of knives do this?

4. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

Yep. Lots of them. Why pass up a chance at parting a few non-knife people from their money by only offering expensive knives? The casual buyer is a much larger market than the aficianado.

5. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Cutlery lover on YouTube often buys those cheap knives from the likes of Walmart, see his reviews.

bryan123 likes this.
  6. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

Kershaw has been doing the Christmas set for the last 3-4 years (maybe longer) One year it was two named knives but they didn't have assisted opening. Let's face it, for the general (non knife-nut) public they are relatively good knives. As far as the CRKT and Spyderco offerings, as far as I can tell they are the same as they would be from any dealer (not Walmart-only-versions)

bryan123 likes this.
  7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Nope, not much. It just adds to their "bottom line."

About 50 times bigger.

bryan123 likes this.
  8. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

This is interesting. If I'm going to spend significant money on a knife or other EDC items, I would prefer to support and give my business to those companies that sell high end quality items and not those that try to add to their bottom line by also selling low end stuff. Since that would eliminate Kershaw, I might be missing out on some nice knives, though.

What to do?

9. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

.........try not to anguish over it too much ;)

EldoEsq and Moshe ben David like this.
  10. ScottieG59

ScottieG59 Loaded Pockets

I like some of the cheap Walmart knives. I bought the Kershaw 3-set with the Kershaw Cinder (small key ring knife), the torx-tool and the knife. The steel in the knives is adequate for EDC tasks, but it will need to be maintained more often than better Chinese steels. I took the deep carry clip off the knife and put it on my Kershaw 1776 Link and the knife will be a mail/pachage opener. Walmart knives often have downgraded components and they are fine if you keep your expectations low. Their $3.87 knives tend to be very functional and they make great loaner knives when a buddy wants to borrow one. I was not pleased with the aluminum handled $3.87 knife, and the liner lock is not secure; it can be easily moved to 100% but barely engages when opened. The blade has lock rock and folds closed too easily. They look nice, but are not made well at all: [​IMG]

bryan123 likes this.
  11. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

I'm going to repeat this; you can take it for what it's worth.
    I was told by a retired walmart employee that the stuff you buy at walmart is not the same even though it may have the same name as a top of the line product.
    She said " They tell them how they want it made." This is a cost cutting proceedure making it possible for them to sell it cheaper.

Maybe, maybe not: You do the research.

12. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

Actually very true. An example for you. Around three to five years ago, during this time of year Wal-Mart was selling Kershaw Crown's and Select Fires in blue handled material at Wal-Mart for $19.95. I bought both cause that's how it do, you know? I looked them over and found them to be overly less polished and not at all well made. I even noticed on the knives at the end of the product number it featured a "WM." I contacted Kershaw about it looking for possibly warranty or replacement. Long and short of it is....they're wal-mart specific and usually factory seconds that don't pass quality control.

The practice of Wal-Mart contracting a knife company to make Wal-Mart specific stuff goes back to the good old days when Ozark Trail knives were actually good and made in Ireland by Imperial and before that Colonial Knives. Examples are the Ozark Trail version of the Imperial Kamp King. They were still darned good for the money and quality was top notch.

Dirty Rod likes this.
  13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Why? As long as they are not deceptive about this, they are simply providing decent options for the casual knife buyer. Have you ever handled normal lower-end knives, like a Smith & Wesson, for instance? Some of the locks will release simply from shaking the knife. A low-end Kershaw may dull more quickly, but I've never known them to skimp on the lock.

The Walmart Kershaws may not be what knife aficionados are accustomed to, but they are not a danger to the public. They are generally not prone to lock slippage, breaking, or spontaneous combustion. The knife companies that do this simply produce a knife of lower quality materials and lower fit and finish for a lower price.

Last edited by jag-engr, Dec 21, 2016
    Ippon likes this.
  14. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

For the very inexpensive value packs, Kershaw specifically makes the knives for Wal-Mart. In the past they have used 3Cr13 steel instead of the more typical 8Cr13MoV you find in the higher-end imported Kershaws. That steel is pretty close to identical to 420J2, another low cost steel.

Nowhere near the good Sandvik steel used in the Skyline, though.

They are not trying to rip anyone off, it's just made with less expensive materials to hit the lower price point.

Whether or not a 3cr knife is going to meet your needs depends on what you do with it and your skill / willingness to sharpen as needed. For some things, it's good enough.

15. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

For quite some time, I carried a S&W from Walmart. Cost me like 10 bucks. It was an okay knife till I was able to afford a better knife. As expected, it needed more attention than others, but it did the job. I would rather have a cheap knife to hold me over versus no knife. Make no mistake though, you do get what you paid for so i wouldn't push the limits.

16. Millertime1974
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Millertime1974 Loaded Pockets

I
    I love my blue handled Select Fire though . . .

17. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

And well, if you want that screwdriver with all the necessary bits to disassemble your knives you get 2 backup knives with it.
    A big one for the car or tool/fishing box and a small one to pop you a bottle. Good deal I'd say ;)

18. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

How is a knife whose lock will release from simply shaking not a danger to the public?
    At least the public using that copy of the knife?

Moshe ben David likes this.
  19. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

I bought a Victorinox super tinker from WM; now I'm going to email Victorinox and ask them if it's a WM special.
    Dang it.:cool:

20. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I buy the $4 knives when I have to fly somewhere for a system service call and have limited tools there.
    They are terrible in general but they also get the job done better than no knife when you need a knife.
    I think they are so bad that I don't even leave them anymore when I am done as I don't want someone to get hurt with one that I gave them.
    Just not worth the chance.

You can get a decent one but it is not likely either.