1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are there any affordable dive watches?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by pater, Feb 22, 2012.

1. tirod

tirod Loaded Pockets

200M may be minimum, but it's the actual maximum most will ever go. That's 600 feet, and the logistics of taking enough air for decompression stages starts coming into play. To me, it's exactly why 500M is a joke. Very few have done it in real life.

That's the disconnect between writing on the dial and the real world - at a certain point, oneupmanship comes into play, mines better than yours, and the ego games start. Look carefully at the dial shapes in the pics here, Seiko is distinctive, but how many are simply Rolex Sub homages? No imagination, follow the herd thinking.

I might consider buying a Cobra replicar because it's baseline performance is still in the top 5% of cars on the road - but a Rolex homage? No, it's just looks, and usually run of the mill performance. Even if the Sub isn't labeled to Dive standards, it can do the job.

Affordable Dive watches are in abundance, it's really a matter of finding them by specific model. Once one is chosen, then search on forum vendors and the occasional recommendation in a post. I found my SKX for under $130 that way, a one day deal.

2. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

Meters written on watches are not actual diving meters, but static pressure meters. Generally when diving you don't stay still :) That said, military divers wear often g-shocks nowadays which are rated at 100m.

3. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I agree with the G-Shock camp. For real world usage under water, G-Shock will be cheaper, more accurate, and more reliable than any other watch, Rolex and Omega included. The flip side is the Omega and Rolex have a slew of other things going for it. Beauty and prestige to name two.
    If its the diver look you are looking for, I would go with a Seiko. If you really dive, get the cheapest G-Shock you can, and it will last you 10 years, and work whether its sitting in a drawer or never leaves your wrist.

4. jim1h

jim1h Loaded Pockets

Mostly 200 metres.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

5. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

yeah, it's like sunscreen that's rated "waterproof" to American standards- stagnant for 30 min as opposed to Australian standards- whirlpool for an hour. Really, when are you going to be still when diving? While you have the time, chances are that you will be moving around, looking at what there is to see, and enjoying yourself.
    By the way I have not personally seen a G-Shock with less than a 200 meter rating :)

6. YLR2312

YLR2312 Loaded Pockets

Yeah it always struck me as odd that it has a day plunger instead of date since you never need to change the day if you keep it wound.