1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are there any affordable dive watches?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by pater, Feb 22, 2012.

1. DimGR

DimGR Loaded Pockets

Casio G-SHOCK

2. pater

pater Loaded Pockets

I found this watch which is actually the same manufacturer of my current watch (see above)

3. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

For dive rated models check out the Citizen BN0000-04H - 300m WR, dive rating (meaning it goes through a much more strict WR testing process) and the quartz eco-drive movement. I have been wearing mine for 2 1/2 years now and it has been fantastic.
    Citizen also make a similarly priced automatic model that I cannot remember the name of - the automatic means that it is a traditional self winding clockwork movement rather than an electronic quartz - less accurate and shockproof, but many just love the 'soul' a mechanical watch seems to posses.

Seiko make the SKX007 and the monsters which are both great options - the 007 for a 'traditional' dive style watch, the monster for a slightly more modern look.

Beyond those there is a huge range of alternatives out there if you are not bothered about the dive rating (though almost all having at least 100m WR) - Casio make a few homages, as do Victorinox, Wenger, Mako, Vostok and many others mentioned in the thread so far.

4. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Are you opposed to getting an Invicta Pro Diver auto? There's one on Amazon with a Miyota mov't for about $80 shipped

5. PawTAC

PawTAC Loaded Pockets

Just reliability issues, watch stops working, customer service, etc. You can check out the reviews on Amazon, there's a good mix.

6. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

For what its worth, my Orange Mako did go in for warranty service. The crown for the day pusher stripped. They had the watch about a month and covered it fully, shipped it back in a new box with a polishing cloth and keychain/lanyard. While it was out I went ahead and bought the Ray.

I have 3 orients in all and have been happy across the board.

7. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

8. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

Orient is amazing. Too bad noone ive met IRL even remotely knows what the company is..... Just you folks

9. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

If you sign up for Orient's e-newsletter you can get 50% off deals on a regular basis. That puts the Mako XL in the ballpark too.

10. pater

pater Loaded Pockets

I ended up buying this watch: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LHHYBQ/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details . Mainly because, 1) It's a Seiko so I assume it is quality, and 2) I really like the look of it. It also meets all the criteria I wanted.

The reviews on Amazon are mixed but I can always return it if there are any actual issues. I'm not a super picky watch guy either so if the movement is off by 1 minute a day I don't really care.

11. Mester

Mester Loaded Pockets

Seiko Monster or this : [​IMG]

The Citizen Aqualand Classic, JP2000-08E

Sorry. You already found one.

12. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

FWIW, I think you picked a fine watch. Great styling and Seiko makes a quality product. Regarding the Amazon review mentioning the inability to stay wound, any auto benefits from a periodic manual wind for best accuracy and long running.

13. pater

pater Loaded Pockets

Six String, I figured that guy was being a little bit too picky with his assessment of the accuracy. I figured if it's a Seiko and it's (apparently) 70% off I might as well jump on it. Plus it's got that huge rugged look I like. I let you know how it is when I get it on Monday.

14. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

Jumping in with the Orient Mako guys. I love mine but there are a few things I don't like. I wished it had a month. I wished the DAY selector was a DATE selector. I've had to bend the end links twice to stop rattling. It's a pretty watch to look at.

[​IMG]

15. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

You'll be happy with that watch. It uses the same mechanism as the SKX and the monster, and there is also a growing mode community for the 5s if you ever want to fool with it.

16. pater

pater Loaded Pockets

The only weird thing is that I really can't find anything about it online. Any time I search the model number, I only come up with shopping websites, no reviews or even information or anything.

17. SecretMember

SecretMember Loaded Pockets

A little too cluttered for my taste but if ur happy that's all that really matters.

18. tirod

tirod Loaded Pockets

Try searching watchuseek or the Seiko & Citizen's forums, you'll find reviews and views from owners.

I find observations about automatics being troublesome winding up kind of funny - it's no problem if 1) it's the only watch you own and wear, or 2) buy a watch winder for the collection of bling sitting on the dresser. Autos have to be in motion to wind, just like kinetics, or Eco drives sitting in daylight. Neglect them and they will run down. It's the disadvantage of riches, you become the servant to them.

That's a nice watch, similar to the Monster, and a good price. It uses the 7S36 23 jewel movement, two more than the 7S26, but the extras have no particular special affect. Most Seikos in this price range are set "good enough" at the factory, but a good watch repair shop (not the Mall) can regulate it to within seconds a week. Just not for free. All those $$$ Swiss watches just go thru a 45 day timekeeping exercise to get certified. It's quite arguable they are "better."

The 100WR from Seiko is worthwhile, the difference being "Dive" rated watches actually get tested to 125% of the depth on the dial, have much more lume, get drop tested for shock resistance, etc. Here's a very interesting read to explain it - most watch buyers should read this before spending one dollar on a watch: http://quartzimodo.com/whats-water-resistance-about/

19. Glock 'em down

I've worn my Swiss made Wenger 79076 for the last 2 or 3 years and have never been happier. I only paid like 50 bucks or so for it.

[​IMG]

20. joseywales44

joseywales44 Loaded Pockets

Invicta Pro Diver. Made in quartz and automatic (self winding). I've seen the price for automatics well under $100.00 and quartz for under $50.00. www.shopnbc.com. DON'T go there if you don't want to get addicted!! I now have about 30 watches I've bought from there. I concentrate on the automatics since no battery is ever needed. Auto isn't quite as accurate as quartz, but when the battery dies... you get the point. BTW, 200 meters is considered the MINIMUM for an actual "Dive Watch" as far as water resistance goes.