1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are there any affordable dive watches?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by pater, Feb 22, 2012.

1. pater

pater Loaded Pockets

I really like the look of the super-expensive dive watches but I don't have that kind of money to spend on a watch. I would like to get one for less than 100, maybe $150 max.

I like the look of MkII watches, but it's :censored: near impossible to find anything good in my price range. Also I would prefer an automatic watch. What are you guys wearing?

2. rickinFL

rickinFL Loaded Pockets

Will the watch be used for diving?

3. pater

pater Loaded Pockets

No, not really. Nothing crazy. That being said I would like a water resistant watch, at least to 10m or something. I assume real dive watches' water resistance is reflected in the price.

The watch I currently have is this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EXVD9K/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details. It's OK and rugged, but almost anything would be an improvement.

4. ElChingon7

ElChingon7 Loaded Pockets

Look at getting a used Seiko Monster. Relatively cheap, 200m resistance, automatic movement.

I haven't had any watches recently, but I went through a phase where I was flipping one a week.

5. Websniper

Websniper Loaded Pockets

I'm wearing a Seiko skx031 (which I believe is discontinued), but the 007 and 013's are still available and quite popular. I'd look into those to start.

6. pater

pater Loaded Pockets

I'll definitely check out the Seiko watches then. Are they rugged though? My job is kind of abusive on my gear to say the least.

7. jlwilliams

jlwilliams Loaded Pockets

I just bought the Uzi Protector watch from ebay for $76us. Seems pretty good. Its light. You can get different coloured faces and different bands all for about the same price. The main feature that attracted me to it is that it has Swiss Tritium gas tubes in it and is is very bright in low light. It is an all plastic watch so is a very light dive watch. Hope this helps.

8. ElChingon7

ElChingon7 Loaded Pockets

I guess it's all relative, but what do you mean rugged? Automatic movements in general can take abuse to a point, beyond that, a quartz or even a g-shock might be a better option.

How important is accuracy?

9. pater

pater Loaded Pockets

Accuracy really isn't that important, as long as it doesn't lose too much time over the course of the day. I don't even mind rewinding and setting the time if I have to.

jlwilliams, is that Uzi watch manufactured by another watch company or is it actually Uzi that makes it?

10. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Orient Mako.

Seiko Monsters (and related models) are great, but will run a bit over that budget. Orient is great quality (and actually owned now by Seiko) .... The Mako is rated at 200 meters and has an excellent automatic movement.

11. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

Get an orient or seiko monster

really you dont need a dive watch to be water resistant. i swim, shower and chill in hot tubs for hours with my orient and it has never failed me. it's insanely accurate, rated 50m and also for just $50 i paid on ebay. About 1 second off every 1-3 days depending on how often i wear it. Amazing.

12. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Check out the Orient Mako, around $100. You can also find a used Seiko 007 or Monster for under $150.

13. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I wear a Citizen ProMaster Diver as my daily watch for the last 4 or 5 years. Very similiar to the Seiko SKX007. Got it for around $125.00.

14. jlwilliams

jlwilliams Loaded Pockets

Im not sure if it is made by Uzi, im sure its made for Uzi by an outside source. The watch is on their website.

15. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

16. PawTAC

PawTAC Loaded Pockets

I hear a lot of good and a lot of bad about the Mako. I can't solidly recommend one yet, as I haven't gotten around to buying one. But it seems to be a great deal for the price.

17. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

The cheapest I think is the Vostok Amphibia (automatic). Pretty rugged too. In quartz, look at the Casio Duro.

18. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Just curious - what's the "bad" ??

If you prefer not to post the details, you could PM me.

19. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

I can only echo the guys suggesting the orient mako and vostock amphibia. I've got the mako and love it, although technically I don't think either are true diving watches (they don't fufill a couple of the standards required)

I think one of the citizen dive watches I saw might be available within your budget too. can't remember the model though.

20. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I have a few of the watches that have been mentioned. I have an Orient Mako and a Ray, a Seiko SKX007, and a Vostok Amphibia. The Vostok, though being an actual diver by design is probably the least suited to your requirements of being rugged or great for diving. The acrylic crystal is a bug minus for real world ruggedness, and the bi-directional bezel and almost nonexistent lume will be a problem for lots of divers.

The Orient Mako and the Seiko SKX series are head to head competitors. Both good timekeepers, great lump, and good usable bezels, even with a gloved hand. The SKX is just over your budget (about $170), but has lots of aftermarket goodies for it if you're into mods or add ons. The Mako has the neat quick day set plunger, and is probably the best buy for a diver out there, you can get it on rubber for $90. The Orient ray is what I'm wearing at this moment. Its basically a re-styled Mako, and has the same movement with day plunger, the one drawback it has as a diver is a much lower profile bezel, with less prominent serrations. It can be a bit difficult to turn with dry hands so setting it with wet or gloved hands would be tough.

I'd say start with the Mako if you want to save a $, or splurge on the Seiko SKX007. Out of them all, the SKX has the most classic diver look.