1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are multi level lites really usefull ?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Styerman, Jun 24, 2006.

1. TRON3

TRON3 Banned

Ahh, the old QIII - My first EDC. I stopped carrying it because my Fenix P1 is so much smaller and just as bright. But the QIII is whiter, so now I am torn. Sigh....what's a city slicker like me to do? :(

What watt what? :D

2. CanDo

CanDo Empty Pockets

I EDC a Streamlight Twintask 2L...

Now this is a pretty extreme example of two levels! The high out put incan will kill the batteries in just a couple hours, while the 3LEDs will last for at least thirty. And this is just the way I like it :). LEDs are perfect for ALMOST EVERYthing, and really, the incan is just there for peace of mind.

3. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I am not a huge flashlight guy. I just need a quality one that is reliable and bright. Multi-levels have their place, but not with me. On and off is fine with me.

4. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

I'd like to have a nice multilevel, but I don't really know where to start.

todd

5. Norm

Norm Empty Pockets

You couldn't go wrong with the EDC basic at the sale price I bought a 42XRGT and it is everything I was hoping for.

6. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Just what the doctor ordered: Multi level light on sale at CPF

-LT

7. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

That might be right up my alley. Thanks!

todd

8. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Takes regular or rechargeable batteries too.

-LT

9. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

How much does that run?

10. TRON3

TRON3 Banned

Given my love for Fenix lights, it would good for you to check out the L1T. http://www.fenixlight.com/

Simple click on and off, and twist the head slightly for low or high.  Doesn't matter what setting the light is on when switching. The light tint is a little blue, but very useful.

11. Lee1959

Lee1959 Empty Pockets

Not sure that is quite correct at least not for what I would consider needed in an emergeccy situation. the Lightwaves run up into the 100s of hours on a set of batteries. How much longer before they are considered useful in an emergency? I know your answer before you give it, they are not bright enough? Why? Why do you need anything brighter to get through an emergency? I have used them, and can honestly say they are plenty bright enough to do normal chores and manuever during an emergency. Our grandparents used candles and lanterns EVERY single day, you trying to say we cannot do with the same amount of light? No matter how bright a artificial light is, the darkness is not banished, and it exists just beyond the fall of that light.

The D version lightwave is listed at 742 hours I believe, and even if you consider they say doubled that time that is still 360 straight hours, which works out to 15 days straight of light. That is extremely useable at least to me. Especially since you only need a light a part of each of those days.

Now back on topic, multiple level lights would serve a good purpose, at least for me, especially for house or vehicle kits, that will be utilized in emergency, where you DO NOT NEED huge amounts of light, only enough to get by. Most people carry a long run and a bright light option, they would give the option of a bright light if you needed one and a long runtime saving space in the kit.

12. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Hey DH,

Not sure you were referring to the light I posted but if so the price is ~$52 plus shipping. The links will take you to more info. I really like the light especially for the price and I didn't even get mine on sale. ;D

-LT

13. Topper

Topper Empty Pockets

Lunal Tic, I just clicked your link and low and behold I was sent back home to CPF looking at a light I liked so much I bought a second one a week or so after the first one. It is a small world and that is a great light for the price.
    Topper :)

14. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Hey Topper,

Glad to have you aboard. You and I feel the same about that light. Also Wits' End is an "A number 1" kind of guy.

-LT

15. mossyoak

mossyoak Loaded Pockets

in my opinion they are very useful i only carry one light now a Surefire Lumamax L1. low is ~2 lumens perfect for dark adapted eyes high is ~30 lumens it runs forever on low and plenty long on high and its small i love it.

16. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

mossy,

Your L1, is it the newer style?

-LT

17. mossyoak

mossyoak Loaded Pockets

yeah brand new as of ive had it 13 hours now its so beautiful
    have any questions?

18. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Actually, yes. I've got a KL1 new style (same head as the L1 IIRC) and it has a bit of a yellow corona. Does yours have that? I don't know if it's the optic or the LED that causes it.

-LT

19. Styerman

Styerman Empty Pockets

It finally dawned on me why I dont use the multilevel function on my lites much . It mostly has to do with using a Streamlite Stylus III for the low light jobs , if I used the main EDC light for close in / low lite chores my take would be different .In the work enviroment , I spend a lot of time looking into holes in doors , and walls etc . Anything powerfull is a distraction/:censored: . What I probably really need is a two stage lite with an adjustable low level .

Chris

20. mossyoak

mossyoak Loaded Pockets

styerman, may i suggest the L1?