1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are multi level lites really usefull ?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Styerman, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Styerman

Styerman Empty Pockets

I own several , and I find that I mainly use them on high . Some with all the programable rubard strike me more as a novelty than a usefull tool . Dont get me wrong , I love innovations and gadgets as much as the next guy/girl but I wonder ???

What's your take?

Chris

2. xDANx

xDANx Banned

Two level lights are perfect for me. I use high mode to see outdoors and blind trick-or-treaters. Then I use low for reading or finding my way around the house at night.

3. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

Does it distract them long enough to get their candy?

todd

4. xDANx

xDANx Banned

Not usually, but this year I have a Surefire M6 so it might be different. >:D

5. kamkazmoto

kamkazmoto Empty Pockets

I think they are. I use one mainly on low but it is always nice to know that the power is available if necessary.

6. kmcrawford111

kmcrawford111 Empty Pockets

Absolutely. Especially if the light is capable of putting out a lot of light. The low setting is what I use by default - if low is enough, why spend more energy than necessary? Multi-level lights offer a great increase in efficiency. And I'm all about that.

7. Norm

Norm Empty Pockets

You don't drive your car flat out why use a 5 watt light to get around the house when a 1/2 watt light would be more than enough?

8. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Well said.

Have you ever tried to read something right in front of you with a bright light? Not fun. Also many multilevel lights have modes so low they can be used as a night light or "find me" mode. On long trips or times that access to batteries is limited it can be a life saver.

The only alternative to a single multi level light is carrying several lights of different output. In my case I carry multiple lights but one is almost always a multi level. Also in my BOBs I try to put multilevel lights like Eternalights with lithium batteries.

The right tool, or light output in this case, for the right job.

-LT

9. Topper

Topper Empty Pockets

I vote yes, many times less light is better. I like my SF M6's and love my SF M4's as well as my Pila GL4's but when you are making a "potty run" at o dark 30  thats major over kill so I tend to grab a multi set on low with the ability to encrease light if needed.
    Topper :)

10. TRON3

TRON3 Banned

It's a double edged sword no matter how you slice it.  :armor:

Hey, if the only batteries in existence were only D-cells (approx 11 amps) or C-cells (Aprox 8 amps), we'd have power to spare and multi level would not matter so much.  Even Lithium AA is only 2.9 amps.

But there are those times we need power for distance, and low light is basically an up close kind of light.  That's why many keychain lights never have much throw.  They aren't utility lights, they are for wide illumination and meant for short term use.

For example, I have two Nuwai 5w Multi level lights.  They are identicle expect one takes 2 CR123's, and the other takes 4 C-cells. So, both are 6v. On high, the CR123 light gets about 1 hour of light, vs upwards of 3.5 hours for the C-Cell light.

Typically, I am in not in situations where I need very long operating lights as I do not go caving, camping, or have experienced a blackout in excess of 24 hours.  At least in the city, this is true of most people.   Now for you people that live in area's without street lights...well,  you may want that dimmable light to walk the street at night, and brightness for when you need it.

To be realistic people, LED's has breathed new life into our favorite kinds of lights, but they are far from proper emergency lights which are to operate long term on just batteries.  Unless they engineer LED's for more illumination with less power, don't expect LED to revitalize the lighting industry just yet.  Household LED lights have yet to become bright enough, or low cost enough to consider for most home applications.   

In short...I want a Fenix C-cell multi light.   ;D

11. Topper

Topper Empty Pockets

Tron 3, this country bumpkin fails to see the humor or need to start name calling.
    you have incoming as soon as I calm my country bumpkin self down.
    Topper :mad:

12. knightrider

knightrider Empty Pockets

I think yes they are usefull. For all situations other than below. Love my L1 for almost everything.

The only negative I can see with them is one situation - tactical. I have a Surefire L1, great light, but it's hard to temporalily keep the high on, my thumb releases a little and it goes into low mode, this would not be good for a tactical situation at all. :help:

This is why I ordered a L4 the other day. It has a clicky switch which I have on my E1L and like a lot. With the clicky switch even the temporary mode stays on much easier and it's very fast to just click it on.

Maybe a double click switch? Where the first click in is high, then click it again (what you would think would turn it off) and you get low, then click again it goes off?

My beef is with the tail switches really. An L2 with the 100 lumens shoud be just as good as an L4 100 lumens, but the twist cap on the L2 would not be good in a tactical situation versus the L4 with clicky switch. Those twist caps are slow! They should make one that clicks and twists and temps all at the same time and does each well - probably not possible but I can dream! :)

13. TRON3

TRON3 Banned

I suggest you google the term "country bumpkin". You will find you have a beef with several thusly named web sites, and 484,000 English pages which found that term. FURTHER MORE, those results were found with the adult content filter turned on high! What does that tell you?

If that term is some sort of offensive slang I was completely unaware of it. :( That's all I am saying here. No way anyone is going to trap me into getting a thread locked or banned for defending myself.

14. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

Just for the record:

bump·kin1 (bŭmp'kĭn, bŭm'-) pronunciation
    n.

An awkward, unsophisticated person; a yokel.

todd

15. TRON3

TRON3 Banned

Ok, point taken. I never intended to use the word with disrespect. I thought it was just a cute slang.

16. knightrider

knightrider Empty Pockets

Ok guys... lets get back to talking multi-level lights... I'm for 'em!

17. Topper

Topper Empty Pockets

Mr.Tron, Sir I have sent PMs (yes more than one) in an effort to keep this off the boards.
    pipedreams, I was fully aware as to what was said and what it meant, we are not strangers in the least (tron3 and I) but I thank you for pointing it out so others know what was meant.
    Topper :(

18. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

I find my Streamlight Twin Task AAA very useful when I take the dogs for a walk at night. In fact it is the light I always make sure I have with me on night dog walks. The lower setting is perfect to see if the dogs sniffing or trying to eat something it should be and the higher output is perfect for seeing things at a distance, like a racoon or other wild animal.

19. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Mr. scríbhneoir, aka konrad, and I were just having this conversation this evening.  He is a man of many lights, and I'm woman of but six, BUT, I just received my QIII from my Secret EDC Friend, and it is a very nice light indeed! konrad was talking about being able to mod it for multilevel, and I said I could see the use of a low and high, but as for the other options he has on his Firefly and such, I thought they were neat, but of not so much use to me--yet.  I do have some lights that I reach for if I am just going upstairs to check on something and don't want to wake up the entire house, and others when the dogs leap up in the middle of the night or walking after dark.  And I'm still learning about all the battery options...  I see the multilevel option as quite useful.

20. 1331

1331 Empty Pockets

I have both dual level lights and mutli-level flashlights. I get the most use from them on the low setting.

I have a Photon Freedom that I use mainly on low mode and a similar Inova. I have a Glo-toob with 3 LED's that runs approx. 30 hrs. and a Streamlight 3C Twin Task that runs in excess of 40 hrs on low. By the charts my Aleph 2 will run in excess of 40 hrs. on low with a slight push more power is available. I also have lights that ill produce a couple hundred lumens for a couple hoursand some for a much shorter period. An LED 9v  PAL light my also be in my future as well as an EverLED for a Maglite as it is reportedly a long running light.

I live in a city. I have had the loss of utility power for only three days. I have been in two tornados in the last year, and sought shelter several times, one being two weeks ago when a funnel was directly overhead. I choose my light for such conditions and I consider them emergency lights. I have batteries for the lights for such conditons.

IIRC, incadnescant lights do not lend themselves to running at reduced power effeciently (except for some cutting edge drivers developed by CPF members).

I use manly the lower settings and if there are more, as in the Photon Freedom, I usually forget they are there or how to use all of them. Dual settings are fine with me. Just my opinion for my flashlight uses.