1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are Most Knives Overpriced?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Sentinel-14, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Brainbox

Brainbox Loaded Pockets

On this subject. What’s the deal with G10? What is it? How is it made? I often read about manufacturers using cheaper scale materials like grivory (is that how it’s written?) but how much can a small piece of G10 cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neo71665 likes this.
  2. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-10_(material)#:~:text=G%2D10%20is%20a%20high,often%20a%20few%20millimeters%20thick.

It's a nice material but I don't understand the hype and with the ease of machining the price hikes some manufactures add using it.

3. StuntZombie

StuntZombie Loaded Pockets

I imagine a lot of the cost comes from the materials used (resin is not cheap at all), and due to how hazardous it is to machine it. G10 dust can ruin your life if you don't follow the proper precautions.

garza likes this.
  4. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

It's simple supply and demand, rather than any percieved value because the raw materials and manufacturing costs are only worth X amount.

NO, knives are not overpriced. You pointed out Spyderco, one of my favorite brands. If their inventory was stacking up, no orders coming into the factory, and they were considering layoffs, then yes; the price would be too high. (Or other problems like quality.) Since spyderco is actively trying to increase production capacity, has many models regularly hard to find due to being sold out, then no, their knives are not overpriced. It might be argued that the knives are too cheaply priced.

That said, I have many different interests and recently purchased a new shotgun. It's a pretty plain stevens 20 ga single shot. It certainly is a head scratcher trying to figure out why the shotgun costs just over $200 which is LESS than a standard Spyderco Military.

Asking if a knife is worth buying based on your personal situation and sense of propiety is a completely different question.

Grizz

5. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Would you bring a knife to a gun price?

tbzbbt

That Movie Guy and gdwtvb like this.
  6. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Personally I think mass-produced production knives are way overpriced. Simple design, often lacking in innovation (R&D) with straightforward production. Let’s be honest, despite many enthusiasts agonising over steel chemistry; these are not complex devices. A D2 Blade with G10 or FRN scales often mass produced in cheap labour markets. I baulk at spending $100+ on such a knife when I can buy a _set_ of similar quality dining cutlery for the same price. I’m not talking about Veblen goods here that are steeped in custom craftsmanship.

When I add on the delivered price of such a production knife to Australia, the value proposition does not stack up for me. I would love to see the cost breakdown for some well known designs.

tbzbbt