1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are good manners out?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Boy SureFire, Feb 6, 2010.

1. unterhund

unterhund Empty Pockets

Somehow I seem to get older whether or not people call me "sir."

2. lynnaea

lynnaea Empty Pockets

Ok, sincerely - someone please educate me. I am single so I eat out alone at restaurants all the time. Sometimes I have a phone conversation while there (not while eating). For those of you who consider this rude, please tell me why?

Provided that I keep my voice down and the ringer on vibrate or silent, how is speaking on a cell phone any different from having a conversation with someone who is with me at the table?

I generally consider myself to be a polite person so maybe this is just a blind spot for me.

Thanks.

3. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

If you are using your "inside" voice, not a problem. if I can hear you conversation 4 tables away, problem

4. vamil93

vamil93 Loaded Pockets

+1

5. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

There is this "old fashioned-ness" that everything not being as you were a kid is wrong.

If you are talking on a phone the same as if you were talking to another person in an environment where that is normal no one in this day and age should have a problem with it.

On the other hand ive ALWAYS wanted to do this to someone:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0uTi2qkgf0

But yeah, there is ZERO reason i can see that the story in the OP about a woman on her phone and the daughter also on a phone has ANY relevance to this thread.

6. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Loaded Pockets

My mother and father were in town this weekend. We were sitting around eating the day they left, and my 21 month old daughter said "more milk please" and "thank you daddy." Now, she is NOT consitent in doing so, but does when she remembers or is reminded. She is, if I do say so myself in a completely non-biased and fully objective manner, a gifted and advanced young girl in many ways. My mother and father, who both at one time in their careers have been in education, said that while they are impressed with all she knows already (shapes, numbers, letters....I told you she's gifted...we're working on her dissertaion at the moment), the thing that MOST pleased them was that she is starting off learning manners. I was raised that way, and she will be too.

Fortunately they left before she screamed "NO!" to dinner and dumped the entire plate on the floor. Hey, she's not even two, cut her some slack.

7. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Were there vegetables on her plate? :laugh:

8. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

I personally don't mind some hamburger with my bacon. Tactical bacon with burger sprinkles anyone? ;)

9. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

On the subject of manners, Robert Heinlein maintained that the erosion of good manners denotes how close a civilization is to extinction.

10. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

I see more people completely oblivious to the world than those who show any sort of respect towards others. I'm 19, and go to GW. The tuition here is 53k a year, and I guess the price tag attracts the elitist snobs or something. My dad has worked two jobs his whole life, my mom has always had at least one job, and I have worked since I was 13. I know what it's like to have to work, and nothing has ever been handed to me. I guess it just comes with ones upbringing. Walking to dynamics class the other day, I passed a starbucks. A girl walked out with her coffee in one hand, phone in the other, and walked pretty much next to me the whole way - we were going to the same building. I held the door open when we got to the library, and instead of attempting to acknowledge what I had done, she just blew on by still yapping away.

For the most part, I have zero faith in people. I always give everyone a fair chance, but few ever impress me.

11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Ahh, Robert Anson Heinlein. He also said "A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." If one were to equate those that, for some equivocal reason, chose to ignore or abate a societal norm of good behavior as "troublemakers," good ole' Bob would have made diametrically opposed statements.

Are we necessarily alluding that politeness is "good" behavior or one that only a certain aging aspect of our society finds incontrovertibly acceptable? Do we not see that our societal norms are evolving? Is it rapid deterioration or evolution? Is that rainbow-colored, spiky-hair on top of my cousin's 17-YO daughter now the norm or a deterioration of the status quo?

I'm NOT agreeing with some of the samples of bad behavior illustrated on this thread. Well into my 50s, I was raised with many of these values.

Just some food for thought.

12. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

The Admiral KNEW that getting rid of all troublemakers WAS impossible. But if humankind ever came up with a way to manufacture a generic society (genetics/mind control/Big Brother...etc.) THEN that society is indeed on a VERY slippery slope.

13. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Then too.

14. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Manners is not only following the cultural norms, it's taking others' feelings into consideration. I think that is more the manners issue - consideration of others.

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

There has to be a limit on that. You can't take everyone's individual feelings into consideration.

I recall one polite lunch-lady who was older than everyone else in the cafeteria where she worked.

She had a kind heart, and called everyone "baby." It was not just the word, but the way in which she said it. Made you feel warm and happy on the inside. And then one day, some overly sensative, pathetic joke of a human being, apparently was shocked and surprised at being called "baby." So the dude complained to her boss. Thankfully she wasn't fired. But she was forced to stop making folks feel warm and happy on the inside.

In this case, the rude one was the one individual who went out of his way to complain. But that's all it takes. Just one jerk to ruin things for everyone else.

16. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I've never been a fan of cute names... But I've never taken any name said out of kindness/love, and complained :shrug:

17. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Probably a good thing that Heinlein didn't live past 1988. He would have been very shocked at the animal cloning experiments.

18. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

:thinking: :confused: :judge: :topic: Please stick with the topic of manners... Thank you.

19. archer

archer Loaded Pockets

Good manners are not out, just a little neglected.
    They just have to be reinforced a lot more and you would be surprised at the benefits.
    I still find that good manners and a little consideration can go a long way if you want something.
    Even if your intentions are purely egotistical (are'nt everyones?) manners are still the cheapest investment with highest interest and dividend return there is on this earth.

20. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Loaded Pockets

In Romania, sadly, good manners really seem obsolete.Both men and women often act rude.There's no consideration for anything.I myself have started to become a little ignorant, because I have to deal with imbecils and snobs every day, and they don't give a :censored: about me no matter what I do.So I thought I should return the "favor" to them.However, I don not intend to become a hillbilly with no manners.I'm just being a little rougher on all those who deserve it.They hate being told the truth to their face, and consider I should have "put the problem elegantly"(probably meaning NOT at all! :spank: ) as a female student (colleague of mine) said to me a few weeks ago.People who act inappropriately just can't stand when somebody raises up and has the courage to tell the truth.Hypocrisy of the century... :thumbsdown: :mad:
    Even worse is that those who have no manners get the best in life.There is no justice...