1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are flashlights permitted on flights these days?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by ZoomFlight15, Feb 14, 2010.

1. ZoomFlight15

ZoomFlight15 Loaded Pockets

Hello All.

Just curious as to what the policy was on carrying a flashlight in carry-on baggage.

I'll be flying to Honolulu and was wondering if my Quark 123 could ride with me, or if it had to go in my checked baggage?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

2. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I went to Vegas back in October. No issues with bringing my lights on board with me. I put them in the tray with my pen, wallet, and keys. Picked everything up after going through the metal-detector.

3. uxu

uxu Loaded Pockets

I flew a couple of weeks ago with a couple CR123-powerd lights with no questions or concerns from the security theater agency.

Just as a side note regarding battery powered devices, Computerworld posted an interesting article and report from the FAA about the incidences of battery related injuries. From the interactive chart, the FAA reports that from 3/1991 to 9/2009, there were a total of 109 battery related incidents on planes. The majority of these incidents occurred on FedEx - which I'm sure is related to the shear amount of cargo they carry.

From the article: Battery related incidents have resulted in 51 injuries and one death. Many came from a single August 1999 disaster, in which one passenger died because sparks from a motorcycle battery next to a canister of gasoline (IN THE OVERHEAD BIN! :shocked:) ignited.

I just hope the level headed TSA folks read the FAA report and everyone can just chill out a bit. You have a much higher risk of dying while trying to get to the airport than you will ever have while riding in a plane next to someone's new Fenix or Macbook Pro.

4. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

No issue with a small LED flashlight. I typically travel with 2 and E01 and a P3D.

5. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

i traveled with my maratac aaa with no problems.

6. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

I've never had any trouble. I usually have X1 Inova flashlight on me, another Inova Bolt in my carry on. Check luggage, probably another two AA Flashlight, lately a Cabelas, and sometimes a second flashlight also.

7. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I had over a dozen in my carry on when I went to SHOT show and back, they were a little confuse about why I had so many but thy let it through without bothering me.

8. cmatcher

cmatcher Empty Pockets

I had six on me my last flight. Didn't realize I had so many till after I got to where I was going. There were no issues. Three in my backpack, one in my pocket, and one on my keychain.

9. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

3+1+1

10. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

The airport security thugs where I fly through tend to be difficult about the dumbest things, but they've never given me any problems with a flashlight smaller than three cells. Bigger than that and it can become a "bludgeon" in their minds.

I try to put almost everything in my carryon except my ticket, ID and a backup 1xAAA light. That makes it through the magnetometer with me, no problem.

11. Darvis

Darvis Loaded Pockets

No issues at all here on my last 3 flights, I usually have a Quark 2AA tactical and a Mini AA as a backup with spare (NIMH) batteries in my laptop case.

12. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

I have never had a problem flying with a flashlight. I only carry a single cell regualrly so I haven't tried a 6P or larger light. I have however always been hesitant to take my best stuff with me for fear of a problem.

13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I use one of my beater lights when flying. Not because the light might be officially confiscated, but due to a Screener recognizing one of my Surefires for what it is; and stealing it while claiming it's officially not allowed. He's betting I'll let it go instead of arguing and missing my flight.

If he wants to steal a light I could care less about, that's fine. But he's not getting one of my Surefires. I'll just raise Hell when I file a complaint afterwards.