1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are any non-rich guys EDCing a Strider SMF or SNG?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Stelth, Jul 15, 2008.

1. CarlJ

CarlJ Empty Pockets

I make decent money, but I'm definitely not rich. And it's much harder to "justify" buying knives now than it was before I got married (knife collecting was a hobby for many years).

I EDC a Strider SnG that my wife got me for Christmas (with no prompting I might add, beyond showing her a URL months earlier and saying, "isn't this pretty?" -- I was very surprised :)). I carried it every day for about six months after Christmas. Then the desire for variety got to me, and I started switching off EDC between the SnG, a large Sebenza Classic, and a Benchmade 730CFHS (the latter two being prize pieces from my collecting days). The only knife I'm jonesing for these days is a Hinderer XM-18... hmm, maybe if I sold off the Krait...

I won't buy a knife that I'm not willing to carry, and I won't carry a knife that I'm not willing to use, so the Strider gets used just like the rest.

2. qcicustodes

qcicustodes Empty Pockets

At the time, I was living in NYC

3. Jaygnar99

Jaygnar99 Empty Pockets

I cannot justify spending $400 on a pocket knife. There are wayyyyy too many knives that are the "knives of my dreams" that are way below that price point. I could buy at least three great knives for that kind of money. Plus if I ever lost knife that expensive I would FREAK. I understand that custom blades are a type of art and so their price is completely subjective, but in my honest and humble opinion, manufacturers that price their production knives at such high prices are marketing to rich people. The "common man" can't afford to pay $400 for a pocket knife. Knives like that are strictly luxury items. :)

4. quijanos

quijanos Empty Pockets

I'm definitely not 'rich' by any stretch but Yes to a SnG. I've had several and got rid of them with this same justifications here (read: too expensive). I've also been thru umpteen knives from every end of the knife market spectrum and not been Really happy except with a few specific knives. End story is that I cannot find another knife that fits my hand and carries like an SnG. I'm not a Strider Fanboy but the SnG design is ahead of its time. YMMV

5. John Frederick

John Frederick Loaded Pockets

I've always wanted a Strider but it's hard for me to justify one. When I hit the $400 + mark I want something that launches bullets. I was able to stem my desire by getting a ZT301- nearly as cool as a Strider and in some ways better.

6. sabongero

sabongero Loaded Pockets

Sold off a couple of my Benchmades and Spydies which then funded my DDC SnG CC. Haven't looked back since, well kinda, I still like Cold Steel's big folders

7. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Im also a fan of the Buck/Strider 889 (I have two, one heavily self-customised with smooth scales, inlaid green tritium vials & strider-striped blade) & it feels like a fixed blade in the hand. Sadly, as its a locking-folder its technically illegal to EDC. but I do carry it sometimes.

8. Stelth

Stelth Banned

That's how I feel about it. It seems to make more sense to have a pistol after spending that much.

9. BladeDogg

BladeDogg Empty Pockets

I would stake my life on my Strider GB, I carry it everyday, that is enough for me to save for one.

[​IMG]

10. bladefrenzy

bladefrenzy Loaded Pockets

I'm a common man, I am rich by no means! I carry an SnG every single day. I look at it this way, if I ever break the Strider it'll be repaired. The $350 or so it costs to buy one (I trade for mine, it was unused) seems cheap when you factor in the fact that this knife will last a lifetime. Lock up is as good as any Seb I have ever had and the fit and finish on the newer ones is getting better all the time.

I think of it as insurance. They are kinda boxy, but I love em, the SnG fits my hand , cuts like a lightsaber and will never let me down in a rough spot. Hope this helps.

11. CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze Empty Pockets

I'm not rich by a long shot but I edc my Strider SnG all the time. For more than 2 years now in fact. Although EVERY day is a bit of an exaggeration as I do have a few other folders I like to carry but the SnG is in heavy rotation. I work on the family farm (horse stable actually) and this knife sees plenty of use. I saved my pennies and bided my time waiting for a new/like new SnG to pop up e-bay and *BAM* I found one new for $320. I bought it because it's rock solid, holds a tight edge, and is guaranteed for life by Strider no matter what I do to it. ;D

12. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:welcome: Welcome to EDC Forums, CoolBreeze.

13. flipe8

flipe8 Loaded Pockets

I'm by no means rich, but I did carry a SnG for some time. I just found I couldn't get past the G10 on one side and I found the knife's blade length to be too short relaive to its' overall length. Very tough, but I also came to the conclusion I'd rather use a $50-100 Spydie for hard-use tasks than a $400 knife.

14. Rico801

Rico801 Loaded Pockets

I wish I could afford to just pick up an SnG or SMF. I'm currently looking for one to EDC at work. I have owned Strider FBs in the past and one of the original Buck collaborations. I'm hoping to come across one in a trade in the near future.

15. Daurie

Daurie Empty Pockets

Stelth, I don't know if you've decided yet, but I have an SnG that I have been carring and using every day for the past 7 or 8 years maybe. I can't find the email or reciept where I purchaced it so I'm not exactly sure how long. It is a Gen2 first run SN 039 so maybe someone will chime in as to when the Gen2 began production. It doesn't have the Lock bar stabilizer and has just now become slightly loose on lockup. It holds and edge like no bodys business. I am an electrician by trade and I pull this thing out 20 times a day I bet. I use it on everything from opening boxes to cutting small guage wire in a pinch and chopping small limbs out of my way on the trail. There has been much debate about Mick Strider on Bladeforums.com, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Strider should I ever need to replace mine. Regardless of Mick Striders past and wether or not there is validity to certain claims, they make :censored: good tools.

At the moment my SnG has been sent to strider to address the loose lockup issue. It's the first time I have sent it in and will report back the outcome.

16. Rico801

Rico801 Loaded Pockets

Welcome Daurie! Great first post. I'm sure your SnG will come back from the spa ready to work again. I just located a SnG and should be receiving it tomorrow or Tues. I'm really excited. You can always ask about Mick on USN forum. I'm sure he'll tell you how it is. :)

17. Daurie

Daurie Empty Pockets

I don't doubt for a second that the guys over there are straight up. Anytime someone gets in the spotlight you will undoubtedly have haters come out of the woodwork. Looking forward to sharing ideas around here.

18. BladeDogg

BladeDogg Empty Pockets

Now that is a winner first post if I ever saw one. There are tons of haters out there sad to say. I hope this place doesn't allow cross forum rants cause I can see this thread going downhill from here once some of "them" see it.

19. subrosa

subrosa Loaded Pockets

I finally got a SnG, it is a big piece of metal. I personally love it and feel that it will last longer then I will. I am really hankering to get ahold of one of the PT models now.

20. Stelth

Stelth Banned

I have a PT myself. It is an unthreatening size but I wanted something sturdier and larger. I have the Buck/Tarani/Strider "Police" knife and that's the same size of the Sng. I think it would be the perfect size but I still am very hesitant to drop $400 for a knife. $300 for the PT was bad enough pricewise but I got it for my 40th B-dAY. I seldom carry the PT for fear of losing it. I would be even more hesitant to carry something $100 more.