1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Are all space pen cartridges this crappy, or is it just me?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Random Dan, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

Mine sometimes have the little 'glob' on the end, but otherwise have been fine. They're not my favourite pens (refills) to write with, but have always worked adequately.

2. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

I've only had the medium ones go weird on me. The glob forms on the end due to the pressure I think.

The fine ones, however, I've never had a problem.

3. Al Effendi

Al Effendi Loaded Pockets

In Soviet Union, pen draws YOU.

kd7dvd and Tesla like this.
  4. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

The biggest issue I have with space pen refills is as soon as I drop them the ball either gets dented or burred and never again shall it write... I don't have this happen so easily with the mirriad BIC's that work keep strewn around the offices though, they'll start to skip but they're not an immediate write off.

5. masada

masada Loaded Pockets

i'm on my fourth space pen cartridge on the embassy. on all three, i found myself having to heat the cartridge with a zippo to get it to write at times. is there any other cartridge that the embassy pen can accept? ive looked around and tried suggestions, but no luck.

6. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the fine point refills. That is all I use as the medium point ones glob as folks have mentioned.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

7. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

People claim to have fit zebra refills into the Embassy pen and other pens made specifically for the fisher refill. Go buy yourself a F-301 and give it a shot if this interests you. You may need to fiddle a bit to keep it from clicking when you write since the zebra tip is narrower than the fisher tip and so there will be some space you'll need to account for where the tip protrudes from the pen (or you could just tolerate the clicking and any tip wobble, I suppose).

Hope you find something you like!

--flatline

8. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Zebra refills work fine in the fisher bullet.. Not sure why anyone would do it thou, im not impressed with the pens or the reflls

9. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I was a zebra user until I discovered fisher refills, so I, too, find going the other way to be a bit strange. I have, however, long since given up trying to understand why people like the things they like. Heck, I don't necessarily understand why I like some of the things that I like.

Maybe this is what "maturity" is. I should ask my wife if I'm finally "mature"...

--flatline

Russ Prechtl likes this.
  10. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

I've been using fisher space refills for years. fine and medium point, with out any issues. and I used them at my job all day and they go thru hard use.

11. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I've been using the Fisher fine for a couple weeks now and love it as far as ball points go. I haven't had any of the issues you described. The medium points do get a glob on the tip now and then but I haven't had that issue with the fine point.

12. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

I have exactly had mixed results, 3 crappy, and only 1 good. I find fine point to be slightly better overall. They may be good for astronauts writing upside down, but I ain't one. Its also crappy that Embassy pen and Hinderer pens take only these, and not the standard parker jotters. :-/

13. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

My biggest reason for using this cartridge is because I often find myself writing against a wall or something like that, and there goes my ink flow. Also I like the peace of mind knowing that my pen is going to write on just about any surface I put it to. I love gel ink but they just don't write on glossy surfaces.

echo63 likes this.
  14. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's the wonderful thing about standards--there are so many to choose from!

15. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I bet I know her answer already......remember, you and I aren't gender qualified to be mature. :p:D

kd7dvd likes this.
  16. stbear

stbear Loaded Pockets

I only had a problem with refills for my bullet pen once. Fisher replaced it.

17. Xodius

Xodius Loaded Pockets

Mine has always leaked and I bought it from the factory. The first cart didn't but this one does. Not terribly bad but it is still a :censored: IMHO.

18. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Another thumbs up for Fisher's fine point refills. I had all but given up on Fisher until I tried one. Unfortunately, the big-box office stores seem to carry only the medium point refills in-store. Found the fine points at a local small stationery store. Win-win. :)

marcclarke likes this.
  19. sjducks

sjducks Loaded Pockets

Glad to hear that the fine cartridges seem to work better. I have a pack of them on order.

20. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

I had a bad fisher cartridge once. to be fair, I'd abused it a bit and used it to make holes in things, and that's when I started to get the leaking/globbing at the tip. I replaced it and used the next one as a regular pen, and it works fine.