1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Arc'Teryx Khard 30 vs Mystery Ranch Sweet Pea - Anybody Handled Both?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by 62Tele, May 11, 2014.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

I hear you - I've had other packs with this kind of stick-it flap, and used to seek the original Dana's that had it, and while I agree it can be a useful thing, it just isn't talking to me at the moment.

2. ruudr

ruudr Loaded Pockets

I have the Khard, use it every day to go to work. Great bag. Really light weight and lots of interior options possible.

3. Raw B

Raw B Loaded Pockets

I've narrowed my bag selection down to the Khard 30 and the 3DAP. I'm having the hardest time deciding. I'll be using the bag for EDC to work, gym, school. As well as a day pack when I go hiking or to outdoor events. This is such a tough decision...

I'm 6'3 btw and in one review I had seen regarding the Khard it had specified that it wasn't made for small or large individuals.... so torn.

4. Darrel S. Jarvis

Darrel S. Jarvis Loaded Pockets

I love my 3DAP. Made in the USA by a small company. Adjustable to get a custom fit. Bombproof. Can't say enough good things about it.

5. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

Let's hope this is your biggest problem, ever.

Khard and 3DAP are both great bags but with two key differences:
    1. Weight advantage goes to Khard 30 by a lot
    2. Straps, buckles and molle all over 3DAP whereas the khard has a cleaner look for urban use.

I've owned a 3DAP And other Arc bags which were extremely comfortable, there is no wrong choice here so buy both!

6. ruudr

ruudr Loaded Pockets

Indeed. Just what "Heavyduti" says. The Khard is a little bit more urban looking. I use it for my everyday walk to work and back. And for the weekends you can configure it for a day hike pack or more.

7. cowboyarcher

cowboyarcher Loaded Pockets

MR is a US company, but they are anything but small. Most of their business just is not in the civilian realm. Otherwise, I agree with you 100%!

8. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

Arc'teryx is Canadian but these days Arc produces bags mostly overseas.
    (Mystery Ranch makes some bags in the Philipines)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Darrel S. Jarvis

Darrel S. Jarvis Loaded Pockets

I mean small relative to a subsidiary of a 2 billion dollar sporting goods conglomerate. Agreed MR is not a mom and pop company though.

10. Raw B

Raw B Loaded Pockets

I received the Khard 30 today. A beautiful bag indeed. But I'm sending it back. Standing 6'3 when the bag is pulled in close the waist belt ends up buckling past my belly-button. I really wish I could keep this bag for its low profile, but the 3DAP is my next move.

11. cowboyarcher

The waist belt should be adjusted properly first, then the shoulder straps. This may not help with a tall guy in a short frame, but it might do the trick.

Here is a brief description of fitting a pack:

1. Let the shoulder straps out all the way first. If there are load lifters, let them out too.

2. Then, set the belt where you want it and adjust it down tight. It should sit on your hips, towards the top of them.

3. Once the belt is adjusted and tight, suck the shoulder straps in to where ever they are comfortable. I let them move in or out based on comfort.

4. If you have load lifters, suck them in now.

5. Last is the sternum strap. This should not pull in on the shoulder straps (you should have these set in step #3), but rather be adjusted just to keep them from moving out.

If the thing is still uncomfortable after that, I'd guess the harness is just too short for your torso length.

Last edited by cowboyarcher, Dec 16, 2014
  12. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

Also look at the MR Snapdragon, it may fit your height better than a 3DAP; its also lighter. I bought my 3 from a guy who stands 6'5" and found it fit him like an an ASAP so he sold me the 3 when he got the Snapdragon.

cowboyarcher likes this.
  13. cowboyarcher

The Komodo Dragon and Dragon Slayer would also have the same from length as the Snapdragon. They just provide different pocket layouts and have some differences in the frames.

Heavyduti likes this.
  14. Raw B

Raw B Loaded Pockets

Wouldn't they all have the same length based on the yoke size you select?...

15. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

It's the length of the pack, not the yoke size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. cowboyarcher

Right, the frame itself is longer on these packs. The larger yoke size will help some too, but there is no substitute for frame length.