1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Arc AAA

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by nicknwong, Sep 1, 2007.

1. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Looking at the site, I see that they have a camo unit for about $17. Is that a complete unit, or just interchangeable parts for an existing unit?

2. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Arc-AAA Natural/Camo Kit is a complete light, but the body is camo while the head is a standard HAIII finish. That's a great price for an Arc AAA, though.

3. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I could care less what color the body is; it's what it does that's important to me. :)

4. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

......aaaaaand there goes my order. ;D

5. HoopleHead

HoopleHead Banned

6. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

The idea behind the Arc-AAA's creation was to make an ultra-reliable pocket flashlight that used commonly available batteries and was bright enough to be useful but run long enough so that it wouldn't die when you really needed it. I believe that goal has been met, and for me, I don't need anything brighter on my keychain or on a neck lanyard.

7. HoopleHead

HoopleHead Banned

oh and one more thing: anti-roll!

8. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

The Arc AAA-P won't roll unless you remove the pocket clip.

9. scanshift

scanshift Empty Pockets

any specific model or manufacturer's battery you use?

10. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

The Arc AAA is designed to run with any AAA alkaline or even NiMH rechargeable. A cheap AAA or a Duracell or Energizer doesn't make a difference in output. I like using Energizer Lithium cells, though, to keep the weight down a tad.

11. curlyfry562

curlyfry562 Loaded Pockets

What is so special about the arc lights, I get that they are made in the USA, but thats all I can see. They over priced, low lumen output and, using weak LEDS. Is there something I am missing, because I see so many of you guys carrying them. :shrug:

12. HoopleHead

HoopleHead Banned

i asked this over at CPF, the general consensus seemed to be Energizer E2 Lithiums. not the rechargeable kind mind you. but as codeman said, it can run just fine on alkaline or nimh.

@ curlyfry - its one of the most rugged, reliable, bombproof lights out there. waterproof to 100 feet. when youre treating a light hard and need it to always work, Arc-AAA is a top pick. pretty much undisputed, theres a whole Arc subsection at CPF if you want to read more. and carrot summed it up nicely

13. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

They're small and reliable. Having a high powered flashlight may be cool, but in reality most tasks are performed fine with the light that an Arc AAA puts out.

When it first came out, the Arc AAA was groundbreaking in its reliability and design. A lot of the love for Arcs is from this nostalgia. You should be glad to live in an age where there are so many options.

14. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

[img width=640 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/powerpickle/77.jpg[/img]

15. russtang

russtang Loaded Pockets

I've bought, sold, swapped many different edc lights but I have always had some kind of ARC aaa in my pocket.

16. hazard

hazard Loaded Pockets

ARC AAA-P = Finest pocket light of all time. Classic.

The AAA-P is really all the light I need unless I am trying to spot something at a distance. It is bull strong and finely made. I don't leave home without one.

17. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

According to Arc, a slightly brighter version, the Arc GS, will be available in about one week from now. It will have a 5 hour run time until reaching half brightness. Price will be $5 higher than the DS version.

18. hazard

hazard Loaded Pockets

I have the CS version and, for my needs, I am not sure I would want it any brighter. I wouldn't mind more runtime though.

19. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

I've got 5 Arc AAA's, going back for several years. The Arc AAA is one of my favorite designs. I'll definitely be getting one of the new ones, just to keep the collection going, but my favorite one has a MillerMod LuxIII head with 2 levels. On low, its about 7 lumens but on high it's 34, using NiMH cells. Runtime is about the same as the stock Arc AAA-P on low, about 20 minutes on high. I don't use high much, but it is very nice to have. Plus, the beam has a very smooth spot to flood transition and is absolutely white - no "angry" blue.

MillerMod has been on hold for while, so there's a long wait, but his work is outstanding and worth the wait. I posted a review over on CPF, as I was one of the first to get one: MillerMod Arc AAA 2-Level Head.

If you don't mind a wait and want the ultimate Arc AAA, MillerMod's sign up list for the Cree XR-E version is here.

20. HoopleHead

HoopleHead Banned

will be getting a GS to add to my DS and camo! and i think i even want the frankenstein one too