1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Arc AAA

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by nicknwong, Sep 1, 2007.

1. nicknwong

nicknwong Loaded Pockets

Ive been meaning to get my mum a torch for her b'day (i'm converting my family to edc - sister - spyderco spin and dad to jetbeam). I know that all she will use it for is looking in her handbag, going to get a cup of water or going to the toilet at night. Shes a night dweller. This may be a bit of a big ask but I will very grateful - caan someone post some pis of the arc aaa p lighting up a corridor, bathroom or a kitchen just so that I can show her that its good for her needs. Any pics of weathered Arc's on keychains would be good to!

Also how well does the Arc AAA P compare to the lowest setting (9 lumens) on a Fenix L1D.

2. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

There's a few pictures of my weathered ARC original in my post Bruner's Pictorial Keychain History...

It's not an ARC Premium, but it has been my main keychain light for years now. It has held up well to the abuse. I think it's nice choice for you mom.

Good work on converting family members. We need more EDC Missionaries out there ;)

Dan

:)

3. Sunrisedr

Sunrisedr Empty Pockets

iam sure it will do the job just fine.

if you want brighter, Fenix L0D will do. <-not made in USA though

4. knightrider

knightrider Empty Pockets

I think the Arc would be great for a mother. It is very simple, takes a standard cheap battery that can be found anywhere. The only tip I might give her would be to have the threads almost turning it on but not quite. The reason I say this is that I would be afraid of someone losing a head to their light, and an Arc head is pricey...

My Arc is superb. I have been using it for about 1 year on my keys. It is a premium and I love it. Had a standard and compared them and the difference was almost none at all, so similar in output - but $10 more??? Ahh well, sold the standard to a friend and kept the premium. I would say it is one of my favorite lights of all time! :cool:

5. nicknwong

nicknwong Loaded Pockets

I read that the main difference is in the colour tinting - so the premium being more white in colour compared to the bluish hue you get from the standard.

6. enine

enine Loaded Pockets

The Arc is a nice light, however I'm disappointed sometimes that the light output isn't any better than a $5 coin cell light. The main advantage of the Arc is it will last a lifetime

7. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

The way I think of it, the main advantage of the Arc AAA-P is that I can rely on it.

8. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

Those coin cell lights are directly driven and over driven. You're right, the Arc is built to last and give consistant light for a long amount of time. For a basic first "real" flashlight, it'll do very well.

9. HoopleHead

HoopleHead Banned

the arc's dont have a glass lens over the bulb. has anyone found that with regular EDC and usage that the bulb gets jacked, or like lint gets inside or anything? or just throw it in my pocket with lint, kleenex, coins blah blah blah and itll be all good?

10. jay_imok

jay_imok Banned

why wouldn't she just turn on a light?

11. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

The Arc's head is sealed, good for 100 ft water depth. Lint can only build up around the LED's dome - it has zero chance to get inside short of catastrophic damage to the light.

12. HoopleHead

HoopleHead Banned

rockin. either this, a fenix e0, or fenix l0d ce q4 will be my EDC light. well, one of those and an orb wee ti 50.

13. HoopleHead

HoopleHead Banned

really like the arc-aaa premium. although the 2 fenix's havent come yet. the main thing i dont like about the arc - no tailstanding! easy fix, c'mon arc!

14. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I LOVE my Arc-P!! I love it so much, that I gave away my Fenix LO1P-SE.

15. Bob Lindell

Bob Lindell Loaded Pockets

I recently replaced my Fenix P1D CE with a P2D Q5 because I was becoming annoyed with the twisty switching on/off. While waiting for the P2D to arrive, I went back to my trusty Arc P. Easy in the pocket, rock solid, and really enough light for most duties. I did not feel "inadequately lit" carrying it.

It really is a great light. Most people are NOT trying to keep pace with LED development like the obsessed crew we are. Anything beyond incandescent is wonderful.

My only concern for your Mom might be if she has difficulty with the twisting motion of switching it on, due to arthritis or something along those lines...

16. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

To decrease the twist resistance you can either remove the o-ring on the head or sand it down some by putting it on a pencil and rotating it on sandpaper. It'll cut down on water resistance but if you're not diving it might be worth a look.

-LT

17. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

That's a great tip, LT! O0

18. coyote

coyote Loaded Pockets

before sanding, try a little lube first. i've had dozens of Arc AAA and custom Arc AAA versions and have yet had to resort to that method (but should work if lube isn't enough).

ps- having owned dozens and dozens of first-class mini flashlights, i still think the basic Arc AAA (in any version) is the number one choice for anyone.
    after you have one of those on your keychain, you can think: brighter, whiter, more power, more levels, more gadgets, more options.
    the Arc AAA is simple and clean and tough and long running and uses easy-to-find batteries.

19. nicknwong

nicknwong Loaded Pockets

Forgot about this thread ... but I did get my mum the Fenix LOD CE for her birthday. She preffered the black smooth texture compared to the knurling on the Arc.

20. scott112

scott112 Empty Pockets

My Arc-P the most important and most frequently used item that I EDC, and it is the one item I am never without. Simple, rugged, and dependable with just enough light for most situations. An it is as light as a feather with a lithium cell.

My wife loves to give me a hard time about all my flashlights & knives, but then she's always asking to borrow my Arc. :p