1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

ARC AAA and/or CMG (Gerber) Infinity AA: Still carry?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by xbanker, Oct 1, 2011.

1. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Curious if any of you — like me — stubbornly continue to carry the ARC-P AAA and/or the CMG (the original, now Gerber) AA Infinity-G?

Despite the fact both are "primitive" by today's multi-mode, high-lumen, state-of-the-art LED standards, I can't bring myself to retire either of them. And not for entirely sentimental reasons. Both provide decent runtime, adequately illuminate for close-up tasks, and they're built like a tank.

I have more than my fair share of current-day lights — Fenix, 4Sevens, Zebralight, Nitecore, Olight — all of which are used, but not to the exclusion of my old standbys.

Anyone else stubborn like me?

2. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Not exactly EDC, but I still have my Arc AAA-P tucked into an organizer as a backup light.

3. Reid

Reid Loaded Pockets

I love my Arc AAA. That thing feels old now and that's kind of why I like it.

4. jds1

jds1 Loaded Pockets

I have a Miller-modded two stage Lux I Arc AAA that I carry all the time.

Jeff

5. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

I finally retired my venerable old Arc AAA-P from EDC use a month or two ago after almost a decade of carrying one around my neck on a titanium chain. I replaced it with the Klarus titanium AAA flashlight. I wanted to replace it with the titanium Arc AAA, but at double the money for a lot less output, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I still may in the future though, I just love the simplicity and reliability of the Arcs, even at reduced output compared to a lot of more modern lights. I still have 3 or 4 Arc AAA's serving backup duty in various packs and bags and keychain setups around here. I also have several Infinity AA lights that still see use on a semi-regular basis. My kids and wife use them for camping on paracord lanyards they wear around their necks.

6. mahler9

mahler9 Banned

The amount of light I require in an everyday setting hasn't changed since I got my Arc AAA's..... 7 to 8 lumens is still adequate for most of my uses (looking in boxes of junk in the garage, trying to find that lost screw in the carpet, really mundane stuff that I suspect most people would need the assistance of a little extra light).

Holding your thumb over the LED gives off a nice soft low-level red light for dark adapted eyes.

The design philosophy still appeals to me: standard batteries, bomb-proof construction, reliable switching mechanism, long moon-mode, simple and reliable.

I've bought, sold, and traded a lot of lights over the years.... but I still have my Arc AA (CS), Arc AAA (CS), and black anodized Arc AAA (GS).

7. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

I no longer carry the Gerber/AA Infinity-G. My primary
    key chain light is the Fenix E01, a very similar but with
    AAA batteries.

8. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

I use a red CMG to read with still at night. My green one was having horrible contact issues and sadly I think it's retired for good. Anyone with a spare green CMG or even Gerber, let me know!

9. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I have a green-bodied CMG Infinity Ultra that still sees use form time to time. The white LED is still fine, although slightly off-centered if you point it at a wall.
    Omega Man, we should PM...

10. acropolis5

acropolis5 Loaded Pockets

I still use my Gerber White Infinity light as my, always in my pocket, around the house light. It's indestructible. I sometimes carry one in my EDC bag, so as to have a AA alternative light. Works with one of those Velcro and stretch fabric headbands, to act as a headlamp. I've also read that they will work with used, mostly discharged batteries.

11. grox

grox Loaded Pockets

I still carry my arc-aaa. It's helped me out a few times. The HA is gone from the knurling, it's all shiny, but it's mine :)

12. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

My Gerber Infinity Ultra has been serving as a bedtime story reading flashlight since I picked it up over half a year ago. Still running on same AA despite regular use. Two days ago the special small bulb blew in our kids' night light and not willing to saddle up in the middle of the night to pick one up I just left the IU running on top of a drawer. That was three days ago. The lazy bum I am, I still haven't bought a new bulb, and the Gerber has served 2 x 8 hours on a used battery and is starting its third night... apparently bright as on day one. Gotta love that :)

13. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Great story sveqs! And the moral of this story? It's never too early to begin brainwashing indoctrinating teaching your children about the value and utility of a good flashlight (a term not necessarily synonymous with "high lumens" and "expensive," as the Infinity Ultra demonstrates).

14. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

brainwash is what it's called :D
    (or when they are stubborn, like most 4-6 y.o's, it's 'stonewash' LOL)

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I still have my CMG infinity task light. But never EDC it. To be honest, it's too thick. If I need runtime, my Fenix L0D on low mode provides that. If I need more output, once again I can rely on my L0D. It's even built more like a tank than my CMG.

16. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Agree with all you say, but then there's that sentimental attachment to my CMG Infinity. ;)

Couldn't agree with you more re the Fenix LOD. My old red one has served me flawlessly for several years. I've even learned to tolerate the engraved, white snowflake and bells or whatever that is.

17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Ah yes, the Christmas edition L0D. Those are nice. Mine is just the basic black. Already have one very memorable occasion in which it came in very useful and very much needed.

18. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

I rarely carry the gerber UI, but it's my main around the house/night light. The thing I love about is i can use both aa and aaa batteries. Without an adapter. And bleed them dry. It's one of the flashlights I trust the most.

19. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

three nights and still shining bright :)

20. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I once picked up one of the CMG lights at an outfitter long before my flashoholic days. I ended up giving it away, because it was just too much bulk for no more light than it put out. On the other hand, I have an old PeakLED Matterhorn that I still carry. It's an aluminum one with the (3)5mm head and a pocket body. I carry it as a back up to my Preon ReVO, mainly since it's a bomb-proof light that uses the same battery as my main light.

A few years ago, when I carried a CR123 light, I carried a Peak McKinley with a single warm LED. I had it custom-modified to run a warm LED at ~3 lumens. It was as small as any battery carrier and a viable back-up or low-light flashlight. When I needed a new battery in my main light, I would just swap it out of the Peak - that way there was always a fresh battery in the back-up.