1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

ar brand confusion

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by toddtheknifegeek, Sep 2, 2009.

1. toddtheknifegeek

toddtheknifegeek Loaded Pockets

Went to the indy 1500 gun show over the weekend, kinda shopping for an ar. Did not realize how many makers are in the market now. Anyone got any favorite/hates/likes/dislikes? Just overwhelmed buy the choices.

2. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

3. WOT

WOT Loaded Pockets

:iagree: Use these sites, surf the different industry forums, then build your own! Then you get exactly what you want in an AR15.

The Lower receiver is the only part that has a serial number, and you have to go through an FFL to take delivery, the rest of that parts can be purchased online from the hundreds of companies that compete in the market. Of the most reputable companies, there are LaRue Tactical, Bravo Company, Rainier Arms, PK firearms, and the list goes on and on.

Build one, you won't regret it!

BRC

4. toddtheknifegeek

Building one sound kinda complicated. Haven't even fired an ar in 6 years. But it also sounds fun if I can actually move forward and not let it rot on the bench!

5. WOT

WOT Loaded Pockets

It isn't complicated at all. And the tools you will need are not very expensive. :D

6. goteron

goteron Empty Pockets

Building one is very easy as stated below. They have a ton of new shops out there, but really all lowers and uppers are the same. How its setup is going to depend on what you want it for. Fighting gun, Self Defense, longer range? I prefer piston guns, POF, LWRC, Adams arms... but do your research, tons of info out there. Stay away from Olympic Arms is my only suggestions.

7. 1wrx7

1wrx7 Loaded Pockets

It's actually pretty simple. I was nervous too, but I bought the military armorers book for reference. All info needed can be found online too. It is fun to build your own.

8. 2slim

2slim Empty Pockets

Stag Arms or Rock River Arms are great bang (no pun intended) for the buck rifles. For a fee extra bucks and a little more wait time Daniel Defense rifles are awesome.

Cavalry Arms gets great reviews from some real high speed low drag types even though thy are low cost and have one piece, polymer lowers - sort of the Glock of ARs.

9. toddtheknifegeek

I know a guy who just bought a stag, should get a chance to play with that soon, but he says he is pleased. Those seem to be pretty inexpensive. Will have to look into daniel defense, that's a new one to me.

Thanks for the leads guys, so mand darn choices it's hard to know where to start!

10. Squid327

Squid327 Empty Pockets

I highly recomend Stag arms
    http://www.stagarms.com/

I have a Stag arms Model 2T with a L-3 EOTech sight thats always at my ready in my unit. Its never let me down and one great plus that made me buy it not only is it american made but i ts made in my state of ct.

11. tpd223

tpd223 Empty Pockets

Colt, Noveske, LaRue, Bravo Company, S&W

I would pass on the others, they ain't "just as good as".

12. b.sloan

b.sloan Loaded Pockets

I would add LMT(lewis machine and tool) and stag arms

I shoot Colts at work and they are great.  I have an LMT and it is "just as good"as the Colts.  Noveske makes great rifles but they are very expensive in comparison.  Larue makes very nice uppers and a billet lower ( machined out of a sollid block vice forged)  You will have to build the lower your self but Mark and his bunch are top notch.    Bravo company again makes excellent uppers and recently started making lowers they sell out very quickly (think minutes not hours)  Smith and Wesson M&P rifles are good value but not really in the same class as the others kind of like the toyota corolla of M4's.  Stag arms makes a decent gun as well but definately on the value end.

If you want something that is readily available won't break the bank and will be around to pass on to the grand kids Colt, Larue and LMT are my top three.  Bravo company is right there they are just very hard to get.  Stag and Smith&Wesson are fine weapons that will also last you for years.  Not my top picks but better than Bushmaster, Olympic arms and the like

13. Hoverman

Hoverman Loaded Pockets

Actually Lowers and uppers, like almost everything you can buy are VERY DIFFERENT, depending on who made them. :) Do your homework, and buy a quality upper or lower. I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone wish they went with a quality upper/lower, but I've never heard anyone say "Gee, I wish I had bought the cheap crappy one!"

I've built two from parts. It was so easy, I did most of it on my living room floor watching TV. It took about 30 minutes. The barrel was already on the upper, so that saved a lot of time. I'll second what was said before. Bravo Company, PK, et al will make sure you get a quality firearm.

My .02

14. Hoverman

Hoverman Loaded Pockets

+1

15. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

After several months of researching an AR to start building on with a limited budget, I ended up getting a Bushmaster O.R.C. It wasn't the cheapest, but it has a good reputation, and the main reason I picked it was because of recommendations from several shop gunsmiths when I asked about what brands they saw back in their shop for repairs and whatnot. I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it so far, but it's been a smooth operator so far. I may start building one from the ground up as I get more familiar with AR's and if I'm able to swing it budget wise.

16. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

when i get an AR (as soon as I can shoot respectable groups with me 10/22), I'll probably build my own. I don't know the first thing about it, but I know there's a lot of literature I plan on diving in to when I start.
    Have you considered building your own? It's cheaper, and it'll be "your" AR

oh, and from the other forums I hang out on, there's a lot of LaRue hate- overpriced from what I hear

17. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

I've got Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River Arms and they all work like AR's

18. indabayou

indabayou Loaded Pockets

DPMS AP4 .308 very nasty love it ;D

19. dlcrouch

dlcrouch Loaded Pockets

Building your own is great fun, but not any cheaper - maybe because you can't stop adding more stuff to it!
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p61/dlcrouch/share/PICT0737.jpg[/img]

20. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

I personaly own a Colt. I made a big mistake getting the heavy barrel I was concerned with the ability to handle the heat generated from firing.

After trying to hold it on an armed suspect that I had laying on the groung, while waiting for back up, you begin to notice the extra weight. The rest of the department has the thin barrel Bushmasters. They are noted to be some of the best of the best. That is what the department issues when there is one available. That is what my next one will be.