1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Appropriate age for first SAK

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by soundlessnut, Aug 11, 2014.

1. GeneralGlenn

GeneralGlenn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I got my first knife when I was 8 or 9, it's a small SAK style slipjoint (think 74 mm SAK with only one blade). First only supervised by my mom (my dad wasn't a fan, go emancipation), but when I had proven worthy of unsupervised whittling I was upgraded to a spartan and all was well afterwards.

I think the whole "learning process" took around a year.

Lastly, in my humble opinion, a knife is a wonderful way to learn restraint and responsibility.

Posh Josh likes this.
  2. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

I remember in the scouts they taught us to use a knife by letting us carve soap blocks with plastic butter knives. once they decided you were ready you would get a "knife license," I think they called it a chit or something, and if they caught you doing something you shouldn't with your knife they would take it away until you earned it again, I think I was 10 at the time, the knife I got was some cheap no name SAK from a sporting goods store

3. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Never. Ever.
    All depends upon who's giving you the first, if he knows what he's doing and explane you well how to use it, safely.
    Is this a question about SAK, or in general ?
    Hope i did answer both the questions.
    Nick

MrOG likes this.
  4. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I just gave my kids Vic classics at 6 and 10. I'm not much of a Vic fan these days, but the quality and the utility of the classic is undeniable, and it's absolute rubbish as a weapon, so I can teach them about knife utility without arming them (they've still received the appropriate prohibitions, of course). My 10-year-old could handle a real knife, now. The 6-year-old still doesn't follow instructions quite well enough (and he's inherited my clumsiness).

REDDEVIL and theirishboxer like this.
  5. Tom Chilton

Tom Chilton Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]Never too young for a SAK ;)

6. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

I think I was 6 or 7 before I got the traditional Southern jackknife with the tip broken off.

7. jnieporte

jnieporte Loaded Pockets

Depends on the kid's maturity level. I got my first SAK ( a Recruit that I still have) when I was 8 or 9. My daughter got hers (a Tinker that she still has) when she was seven. However, she did get the toy SAK that Tom Chilton posted whens he was five. Kids...

8. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

My boys are 5 and 7. I gave them each a SAK Classic this last weekend. :)
    Firm rules:
    - Don't take it to school for any reason, it needs to stay in your room
    - When you think you have a need/use, you talk to dad and I will help/supervise to make sure you are being safe
    - Take care of it, it's not a toy.
    - Do not lose it.

So far so good. My 5 yr old doesn't seem to have much interest, but the 7 yr old is pretty pumped up and talks about it everyday. I figured the time was right when he kept asking when he was going to be old enough to have a little knife.

MTFatboy, de Vries and theirishboxer like this.
  9. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

Same rules I gave mine, with the specific prohibition that they were absolutely never to point them at anybody or threaten to cut or stab anybody. When I was five, I had the impression from watching too much TV that carrying a knife would allow me to compel people to do whatever I wanted. Not that I ever intended to harm anyone, I just thought it granted some sort of authority.

theirishboxer likes this.
  10. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

10 is a good age. I started earlier because I had an old one lying around.

It's funny, I never got my boy scout knife badge, but I completely surpassed everyone in the area with knife rules and handling. Kids fumbling with SAK's, and I'd show them, even though I was like 10 years younger.

theirishboxer likes this.
  11. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

Some SAK's can be hard to open for little hands and they snap shut with authority. Imo I would give them a very dull one until they get the hang of it.

12. GeneralGlenn

GeneralGlenn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Although that is true, a sharp knife is a safe knife. Opening can be tough, but there are plenty of SAK's that are easy enough to open (84 mm cellidor for instance) it's more about technique and "training" than physical strength. Unless you're talking about a 4 year old, in which case I'd have to agree
    But you do raise a fair point.

Shike likes this.
  13. Anyday Carry

Anyday Carry Loaded Pockets

Haven't had time to read the whole thread yet, but that won't stop me stocking my two pence in (not that it ever has before) :
    My dad gave me my first knife when I was seven. It was an opinel no.7. I needed or because I was going on camp with scouts. He (along with my mother) showed me how to open, close and use it. Over the years, I have amassed various further knives, but I've still got the opinel. In my experience with young children and knives (mostly in scouting situations) a simple SAK presents no particular dangers over a fixed blade. In fact, fixed blades can make people a little over excited, especially if they haven't had it long (they feel like a movie hero) and that can cause problems...

14. labrat

labrat Loaded Pockets

I think I must have been just before 10 when my grandfather gave me a simple, foldable pocket knife with two different blade lenghts.
    I had a Scouts knife, fixed, in a sheath, before that.
    Around 14 I got my first SAK, I believe a Victorinox with inlaid silver letters "Siemens", from a visiting engineer from Germany working at Siemens.
    I had a relationship with a woman for some years, and spent a lot of time with her grandchild, a boy, and I gave him a nice SAK "copy" with a nice sheath, very much a copy of a Leatherman Squirt, when he was 8.
    11 years ago!
    He did loose the tool after a while, so he got a new tool for the old sheath.
    He was a calm little guy, cannot remember if he ever cut himself with it.
    So I think around 8 would be a right age for starting to use something like this.
    Also depending of the childs temper and maturity.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  15. fourSAK

fourSAK Loaded Pockets

I bought my first knife, a no name Barlow for $1.25 at the hardware store in 1967, I was about 8.
    I think it would depend on the child's level of responsibility. I gave my nephew a Vic recruit when he was 14, looking back that may of been a little young for him.

16. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

I had mine at 8, big 'ol Swisschamp. But I already was palying around with tools, trying to fix stuff or scouting around in the forest behind my house. I'm glad I chose this model as a first knife, mainly because of the pliers, which I used a a super precise way to remove splinters.
    I wouldn't get a kid an Alox Cadet though, the spring on this knife is too strong, if it closes on the fingers, it'll snap them right off. The normal SAK spring is fine

17. nitaliano

nitaliano Loaded Pockets

I agree with those who mentioned depends on the maturity level of the kid, especially since if they accidentally bring it to school the school district will crucify them! I also got a chance to see the Leatherman Leap, it's a great option for younger kids.

cheeser likes this.
  18. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

That is a good looking tool for younger kids, I'm considering that as a christmas present

nitaliano likes this.
  19. nitaliano

nitaliano Loaded Pockets

I think its a great option to teach a kid the responsibility of carry a multitool at a very reasonable price. It seems like a pretty sturdy tool for what it is.

cheeser likes this.
  20. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Largely depends on the individual child. I stated Kendo and Escrima at 8 and began carrying a 5-inch fixed blade shortly after. It was a different time and place (Far East during the 1950s). Carrying a SAK would have been met by a horde of jokes and would have gotten me in several knife fights the outcome of which today's youth could not even imagine...:nah_disagree: