1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Appropriate age for first SAK

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by soundlessnut, Aug 11, 2014.

1. MAC_C

MAC_C Loaded Pockets

I agree with most here, It really depends on the child your going to give it to. I would say 11 or 12 years old would be a good start.

2. soundlessnut

soundlessnut Loaded Pockets

The leap looks promising. It'll be that or a my first victorinox I think.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. will m
    • In Omnia Paratus

will m Loaded Pockets

Try going incrementally. I have been letting my daughter use the tools other than the blade on my SAK since she was 5. And I've let her use a sharp knife in the kitchen about the same amount of time. Always with my supervision. So she understands the potential danger of a blade. She mostly just uses the scissors but she knows how to open and close them without snapping her fingers. Now at 7 she has her own SAK classic to carry when we are out fishing or on walks.

sungame likes this.
  4. soundlessnut

Thats what we've being doing with our girl, we first let her use a dinner knife to cut up bananas and now she has a set of those plastic kitchen knives to use with our supervision. A fixed blade is a good start, god knows I've had my fair share of close calls closing the blade on a SAK.

sungame and Quantum like this.
  5. RiskMgr

RiskMgr Loaded Pockets

This is all great advice! My boys are getting to that age too. Like others have suggested, I guess we've already began by learning to safely handle butter knives, steak knives, and even scissors.

My first knife was a SAK, and I did cut the crap out of myself closing it. Still a vivid memory. Good opportunity for a first aid lesson, I suppose. My other vivid memory regarding that knife is losing it within the first few months of receiving it. Guess that might be a good suggestion - start inexpensive. I'm eyeing the Hultafors Safety Knife Sk for a good introductory trainer.

Kinda surprised no one has mentioned Scouts, and their Totin' Chip "program." That's where I learned. Just did a quick Google search, and there's some good materials out there, in case you need an outline.

soundlessnut likes this.
  6. jabe1

jabe1 Loaded Pockets

My first knife wasn't a SAK, but an old Boyscout knife. I remember it very well. Dad gave it to me when I was 8, against Mom's wishes. I only cut myself once with it. That knife rarely left my pocket for the next 4-5 years, wearing holes in the pockets of my jeans.
    Every child is different, and I think knife training makes all the difference. My seven year old will get a small tinker sometime next year, when his Mother isn't looking...

stbear likes this.
  7. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I was in the third grade, went to K-Mart with my dad, and purchased my very own Wenger. I still carry it 25 years later. Thank you, Angus MacGyver.

But for the age issue, I was carrying pocket knives a couple of years before that. I recall dad buying me a survival knife after the Rambo craze. It included all of the survival junk in the handle, had a compass on the pommel, and a sharpening stone in a pouch on the sheath. The two safety mods he did was take the matches and dull the knife somewhat on his bench grinder. I still have that knife as a matter of sentiment.

theirishboxer likes this.
  8. stbear

stbear Loaded Pockets

My first knife was a little 2 inch fixed blade with leather sheath with a bead and feather. They sold it and other trinkets outside the zoo. I was about five. Next was a cub scout knife at about 7. SAK didn't come until later. My boys got SAKs at 7 with use limited to when I was supervising.

soundlessnut likes this.
  9. gingerman

gingerman Loaded Pockets

Cub Scout knife when l was 8yo. First single blade at 5. I got cut from time to time, but nothing big. Parents should teach knife safety and use and responsibility before giving it to a child.

soundlessnut likes this.
  10. qkarl

qkarl Loaded Pockets

In my opinion, biological age doesn't really matter. It's more about maturity. If a child has the maturity to understand how to use a tool properly and the dangers of that tool, I think they are ready to have/use it. Of course, for certain tools physical strength would be a requirement. For a SAK though, as long as they don't accidentally trap their fingers between the body and a closing blade they should be fine.

soundlessnut likes this.
  11. WolvesGoHowl

WolvesGoHowl Loaded Pockets

I was given my first knife (lockback) at 8 or 9 years old. My dad made sure I knew how to safely and responsibly use it though.

12. iangineer

iangineer Loaded Pockets

The Victorinox "Junior 09" looks to be the way to go. Locking rounded tip blade, saw, phillips screwdriver, nail cleaner,toothpick, and tweezers. $25.

[​IMG]

soundlessnut likes this.
  13. Hi its me

Hi its me Loaded Pockets

I would think a locking blade would be much better that one without since it cant close on you while your using it.don't have to worry about any of that with a fixed blade,maybe an esee izula (in pink or purple) or esee candiru (or however its spelled.
    Don't know about age :)

14. Kryptonian

Kryptonian EDC Junkie

I was in the cub scouts when I got my first sak. So around 10yrs old. I was using knives supervised before that. I had a good dad who showed me the right way to use it, and that it was a tool not a toy ( same thing with firearms). Teaching the potential for danger, and how to be safe with it is key. You being her dad you'll know when she is mature enough.

soundlessnut likes this.
  15. parallax

parallax Loaded Pockets

I think I got mine when I was 14, but to put that into perspective, I'd already had an Opinel for 2 years at that stage and used it to skin rabbits I hunted with my air rifle.

16. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I want that!!!

I was one of those guys that a knife at a real young age but my sons are going on 9 and I just don't they are ready. They know how to use them but to carry and keep in their stuff. Shivers my spin.

17. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

9 months old. Like Jesus riding dinosaurs 9 months old. From the moment of conception 9 months old. If that don't work.... Oh well... Darwinism! Slainte!

REDDEVIL likes this.
  18. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

I think I got my First SAK when i was about 12 in cub scouts. I still Keep it in my EDC bag. It's totally a maturity thing. I dont think you can just slap an age number on it and say Yes when my child is this old they are old enough for X. Teach them when they're young and let that respect for the tools grow along with them. Best way to do it IMO, but I'm not a parent soooo...

19. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

This thread is a month old already. Did you make a decision?

20. soundlessnut

Each week I've been letting her use something on mine under supervision. We'll see how well she listens and learns before I make my final decision.

She's picked out a pink my first victorinox but knows she has to earn it and show me she's responsible enough before I'll buy her one

Quantum likes this.