1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Applied for my carry permit yesterday

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by copierguy_mobile, Jul 19, 2008.

1. copierguy_mobile

copierguy_mobile Loaded Pockets

I was stunned at how simple it was.

I was expecting to do a mountain of paperwork, provide proof that I had taken a safety course and pay at least $100 in fees.

It wound up costing me $20 to process the application and a $26 money order for the state background check. I didn't fill out anything, I just signed my name 4 times and let them take my fingerprints. They say I'll have it in 30 days. :dance:

They didn't even ask me why I wanted it.

I'm happy it was so simple, but It's almost a little scary that it was so easy :thinking:

-Greg

2. vermeire

vermeire Loaded Pockets

Good for you. You probably would have done it sooner if you had realized how easy it was. What state are you in? I'm in PA and our process is pretty straight forward. We do have to fill out some paperwork though. What do you plan on carrying? I normally carry my Glock 30 or a Taurus 651. Don't get too freaked out the first time you carry; no one is going to notice no matter how much you think they are staring at you.

3. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

It should indeed be simple to apply. It should only be hard to get one if you don't pass the background check. Congrats!

4. copierguy_mobile

I'm in Georgia, about halfway between Atlanta and Athens.

I have a Glock 23 (purchased with some guidance from our very own Sgt. LED), I enjoy shooting it and I'm becoming a pretty good shot. The 23 seems a little big for concealed carry, so I'm seriously considering a subcompact XD (also in .40). Although the S&W MP 40 was also highly reccomended by a friend.

-Greg

5. Pantex

Pantex Empty Pockets

Good Deal Greg....... Remember one important thing if you remember anything. Don't go armed where you wouldn't unarmed.
    As well consider the reciprocity factor when traveling . One more suggestion. Get a non resident permit from another state in addition too your home state license. PA, TX and a few other states have this option. It is a good thing too have in case a renewal is late for your home state license when it expires.

MAKE SURE you state has no hidden laws that prevent such multiple license possessions. I personally know of no such gotcha yet that doesn't mean it isn't out there.

Stay safe .......

6. BigV

BigV Loaded Pockets

HERE is a great tool for seeing which states have reciprocity with your state. I have CCW license for Ohio (resident), PA and NH (both Non Resident).

7. fm2176

fm2176 Loaded Pockets

I got my Kentucky permit when I first got back from Iraq in '04. IIRC, it cost me $50 plus a mandatory class. I just got my Virginia permit earlier this year. Went through the process eight or nine years ago but never received it. This time it cost me $50 and military ID fulfilled the safety course requirement. Since the first time, the process in my county has gotten much better. The first time I had to go to the court, pick up the application, drive a few miles to the police station, get manually fingerprinted for a fee, then drive back to the court to file the application. This time a computer fingerprinting station was operated by the Sheriff's office right across the hall.

My daily carry piece is my Kel-Tec P-32. I've gotten a bit lazy so I am keeping my eyes peeled for a Ruger LCP to replace it. Before that was released, the P3-AT was a shoo-in. Still might buy one.

At times I will carry a Kel-Tec P-11 or Para-Ordnance Tac-Four, and in winter I am not above carrying the 92F or 96G.

8. clutchUSMC

clutchUSMC Empty Pockets

Congratulations, now you have no excuse for ever being unarmed.

9. Junior03

Junior03 Loaded Pockets

Greg-

Thats about how easy it is in Wahsington...$50, finger prints, background check good to go!!! And now your legal!!!

10. copierguy_mobile

That's pretty cool.

But what's up with South Carolina? My parents live in Conway SC, so I travel there frequently.

Do I need to apply for a special permit for SC or do they not allow non-residents to have carry permits?

-Greg

11. WolfAmmoMan

WolfAmmoMan Banned

Great information. Thanks for the post ! O0

12. brianwhynot

brianwhynot Loaded Pockets

13. JeffLrrp

JeffLrrp Empty Pockets

South Carolina ony allows state residents or non-residents who own property in SC to apply/receive a carry permit. South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) should be announcing pretty soon an expanded list of states it shares reciprocity with. VA (mine) is (should) be one of them. :woohoo:

14. jsmith008

jsmith008 Loaded Pockets

Off topic here, but I would check around a lot before I bought the Ruger LCP. I have heard about a number of reliability issues.

15. Jaygnar99

Jaygnar99 Empty Pockets

I too have a GA permit and travel to SC (I have a friend in college there). The lack of reciprocity is a bummer. :thumbsdown:

16. vic2367

vic2367 Loaded Pockets

congrats on the ccw ,,,carry safely,,

17. copierguy_mobile

Kind of a bummer.

But thanks for the info. Maybe Georgia will be on their new list.

-Greg

18. TYWRAP

TYWRAP Empty Pockets

congrats!!!

19. fm2176

fm2176 Loaded Pockets

Let's hope VA is one. I have to spend six weeks in SC soon.

20. Divad

Divad Empty Pockets

Lucky guy, hahah.

Here in TX we have to take a class that can be pretty expensive depending where you go ($100), and then the fee to the state is $140.