1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Apple's Customer Service/ Apple products =RIPOFFF

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Tango 191, Mar 8, 2010.

1. BBK

BBK Empty Pockets

Dirty!!

2. chappel

chappel Loaded Pockets

In the last nine years or so I've purchased for myself, my family etc:
    three iMacs (blueberry w/ CRT, 'lampshade', and newer all-in-one)
    three minis
    three laptops (2nd hand Powerbook Ti, Macbook Pro 13" and Macbook)
    and my brother has bought a Powerbook Ti and a Macbook, and his girlfriend just got a macbook.

I've run into a couple issues with different models, but on the whole I've found them quite reliable (I carry my MacBook Pro almost daily). My brother's Powerbook Ti did suffer from weak hinges, but mine was fine. I had to replace the DVD drive in it, but I did it myself ($70 for the drive, as I recall). The Ti did finally die a couple months back, but I had already replaced it with the Pro - I'd been using it steadily for about 7 years - it didn't owe me anything. I'm about to replace my wife's lamp-shade iMac with a newer one - it's run flawlessly since I got it new, also about 7 years.

I haven't had much experiences with the Apple Geniuses - I did get a 'super mouse' replaced no questions asked for a rollerball issue, but that's a known weakness. I still use my 30G iPod color, sold my iPod Touch to upgrade to a iPhone 3G, and have a iPod Nano. I've had to reset the 30G a couple times - when they say those hard drives don't work over 10,000', they mean it - but I've retired it to a docking cradle in the dining room, and it's run fine since I stopped flying with it.

I have two suggestions - one, going forward check into getting a rider for computers on your home owners or renters policy. They cover everything short of intentional damages (or so the insurance guy claimed). Second, look into your own repairs. The parts are readily available 2nd hand, as are detailed videos about how to do pretty much anything I've wanted to attempt. Obviously doing it yourself voids the warranty, and is nearly impossible to do without putting a couple scratches around the seams, but sure beats $1100 in repairs.

For what it's worth, I had the same experience with a cracked display on a Compaq notebook that caught a tossed CAT5 cable in the screen; $600 quote from Compaq to repair a $900 laptop. I got a used display and fixed it myself for about $120.

I also agree with the previous post about getting a good laptop bag. I've been using a Tumi with a padded sling bottom since about 2000, and I've carried at least 15-20 different laptops (both personal and work supplied) and haven't had any issues with any of them, in spite of extensive travel. I don't think Tumi carries bags like that any longer - the closest equivalent I've seen is the hard laptop sleeve that Tom Bihn makes. The Tumi was somewhere around $350, but I still use it 10 years later, and as much as I'd like a cool new Tom Bihn, the Tumi is still in good enough shape that I can't bring myself to retire it.

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree that it'd take a pretty good amount of force to ding the aluminum case like that. It sure doesn't sound like the Apple staffer was very diplomatic about it, but I'd have to agree that the case looks like it's been dropped, or as mentioned, possible inadvertently swung into a wall or set down hard.

If you are feeling adventurous, at this point it might be best to find another one that's been dropped and had the screen broken, and combine the two.

If my MacBook Pro fried tomorrow I'd be on my way to getting a replacement before the smoke cleared.

Best of luck.

3. paden

paden Loaded Pockets

I just purchased a brand new iPhone two days ago. I bought it from Wal-Mart (evil me, I know) and it had some issues with staying charged and getting very hot. I took it into the only Apple Store in Salt Lake City, and they replaced it, with a brand new iPhone, no questions asked. That's one helluva customer support service. I didn't even ask them to do it. The genius told me he was going to run a diagnostic and he'd be right back. I waited about 7 minutes and he came out with a new iPhone, already activated and everything.

if you abuse your equipment, don't expect them to replace it. That ding on the corner looks exactly like it fell more than about 2 feet. I've seen a ding like that on lots of things and it comes from falling on it's edge, on a relatively hard surface.

As far as the trackpad goes, I'm not quite sure why your button keeps sticking. Do you eat over your mac? Have you tried cleaning it? In six months, you really should not be having these issues. I'm pretty hard on my gear and I managed to keep an iPhone not only scratch free, but perfectly fine for over a year.

4. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

yeah, ive had a lot of experience dealing with intentionally "thick headed" tech support and customer service reps..

here are some tips that i find work well...

1.) remember, " the customer is always right...", and while that is rarely true....that is the attitude you need to have when dealing with some of these people....youve got to talk to these people with an obscene amount of confidence and refuse to take " NO" for an answer....you dont ask them to fix it, you tell them they are going to fix it .....now this doesnt mean you act like a tool and start yelling and cussing at them....just let them know you arent someone they can " push around" ....

2.) if you seem to be getting nowhere, ask to speak with a manager, they are usually a bit more willing to help a customer out

3.) now this tip has worked nearly every time ive used it. you tell them that if they are unwilling to work with you, that you will report them to the Better Business Bureau. ...and most of the time they are willing to work with you after that.

5. FlaRider

FlaRider Loaded Pockets

Try dealing with Dell and Apple will sound like the best customer support in the world.

6. paden

paden Loaded Pockets

You aren't lying. Dell support sucks so bad, Microsoft seems golden.

7. Bseek

Bseek Empty Pockets

I've been reading all five pages of this thread thinking the same thing about Dell. I got so sick of talking to India! Give me a Mac anyday!

8. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

Well im really glad we have people on this fourm who follow me around, and know what i do during the day ;/, NO i do NOT eat over my mac, DURRRR yes i have cleaned it, and im glad to hear your iphone is doing well, that does nothing to contribute to solving my problem, besides comming off like a SMUG___________ you can fill in the blank

9. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

Ive tried all of the things you have suggested, besides the threatenin to report them buisness :/
    Ive asked, Ive demanded, Ive Spoke to everyone from Apple support to the Guy behind the desk at my local apple store here in Miami, all a bunch of _________ i keep telling them "i dont abuse my computer, i USE it"

10. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

Im about to throw it threw a wall, and then take it back to them, and say "NOW YOU CAN SAY I "abused" IT, so fix it"

thanks but again ******NEVER BEEN DROPED******* it lives in a Neoprane sleeve in my bag, and it doesnt take much to dent the side, i have to post pics of what my frind did to his, taped on it with a bic pen a few to many times and it dented so.....it takes very lil in my opinion

11. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

LAST TIME IT WAS NOT DROPPED!!!!!!!!!!!
    if i had thrown it against a wall and then took it to apple because it got smashed into 6 pieces and asked the to fix it then you all would have a point, but it has some dings, from transport, THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT BEING DROPPED!!!!! IT WAS NEVER DROPPED !!!!!
    i'm happy so many people can tell me what i did or didn't do..........

12. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

Thanks

13. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

I'm not going to read any of this thread but I will say this:
    EDUCATE yourself about computers .
    Buy a PC .
    Learn how to keep it clean (even if you mess the first one up) .
    And last but not least .. leave Mac alone unless you have money to BURN .

BE WELL .. GH

14. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

unfortunatly they have let me down for several years.......with about 5 diffrent products

15. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

I have money to burn, but it's the principle of the matter, not the fact that i keep having to replace the items

16. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

I get everything your saying, but it's the priciple of the matter, plus people on here dont help besides flame at me that i dropped it or i "abuse" my things, i have the moeny to spend on the new items, and i do not consider myslef picky at all, i just would like for them to honor what they pledge.

17. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

Hate to break it to you, but i did buy the $150 full coverage warrenty, when i bought it, it was explained to me that, A. Anything you do to the computer is covered BESIDES WATER DAMAGE, any interal parts break or softwear malfunction they will take care of it no problem, well i take it in, with 3 motnhs on warrentyl left and ask them to fix 2 things, two parts that they mass produce, cost them next to nothing to make, and they cant even honor the warranty

18. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

As I noted Tango, with certainly no offence, I did not read the thread because I already know about the master plan that apple had from the start to rip off the buyer ..
    It was just my suggestion to ALL readers of this thread to, 'let's say', 'Burn' yer money on something that someones 17 year old kid can fix or 'soup up' without the hassle ,)
    I'll read your thread now :| Apologies for the misinterpretation and judging a book by it's cover ..

BE WELL .. GH

19. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

Thank you