1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Cao87, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

Hi I am looking at getting the new Apple Watch I have a couple of questions
    1. Is it worth getting (like is it worth the money)
    (a) should I get the older version or the newer version
    (b) how useful is the cellular version
    2. are third party accessories (like bands and cases worth it)
    3. What material is the toughest
    4. When I tried one in the store my wrist got a bit itchy than went away after a while is it normal to be itchy and burning a bit or do you have to wear it a while to get used to it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I answer calls and respond to texts from my watch when walking without my phone. To me the cellular is worth it. Others would respond no. Ultimately only you can decide if it is worth it for you.

I have multiple bands which I switch out based on activity. I hike wearing the watch and have skied and trekked at multiple ski resorts wearing the watch. I have used the find my iPhone feature at Copper Moontain when I dropped my phone between the SUV and the condo.

Last edited by garza, Mar 2, 2020
    #2 garza, Feb 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  3. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

Hi,

I own the series 3 (with cellular) and the series 4 (Wi-Fi only). Back when I used the "3", I made use of the cellular a couple of times, but I eventually canceled the phone number as it wasn't adding any real value to me. YMMV. When the "4" came out, I got that. I've been using it up to about a month ago when I purchased a Ti INOX watch. The AW text notifications are nice, but my fitbit does that anyway.

Regarding the "5", it's important to note that when it came out, Apple immediately stopped selling the "4". The reason is that the watches are virtually identical, other than the "5" having an always-on display, along with (I think) some improvement in the heart-monitoring feature.

So, depending on your needs and wants, you could buy a "3" new and can probably find quite a few "4" models for sale, used, and both would cost much less than the "5".

Way back when, I owned a "2" and eventually sold it. As you can see, I got suckered into the AW magic for a time, but now I've pivoted back to a "regular" watch, for most of my daily wear. As the author William Gibson recently remarked (I'm paraphrasing), "an Apple Watch isn't really a watch, it's a node on a network". Further, I found that I really didn't use the apps, other than to scan the occasional email, WX and periodically use the heart rate graph. So, I wasn't routinely using what the Apple watch was designed to do, which is run apps.

I would echo garza's comment that only you can decide if the cellular feature is worth it.

The "5" is available in a Ti variant, but be prepared to shell out about $800 for it (and remember, in another year or so, there will be a brand new shiny gotta-have model released, which will greatly reduce the value and attractiveness of that Ti model)

As ar as bands go, I replaced the factory band with the Apple velcro band, which is lighter, easier to manage and wicks perspiration away from your skin.

Good luck with your decision. My advice is to look long and hard at the feature sets available in the 3, 4 and 5 Series and make your decision based on that. The 4 and 5 are slightly larger than the 3, making viewing easier.

4. rdisom

rdisom Loaded Pockets

I've had 1-5. I gave the Series 1 to a friend, the Series 2 to my son and currently use the other 3. Series 3 is my yard work and weekend watch. Series 4 is my watch for work and weekdays. The Series 5 is sitting on a charging stand waiting for a bumper. Not sure I like the "aIways on" feature of the 5. I used it one day and it was at 42% battery at the end of the day. I prefer the 4 & 5 for the slightly larger size, since my vision isn't what it used to be.

I have not used the cellular because I really didn't want to pay for another device. My cell phone bill is already high enough. I use them quite a bit for phone calls. I also use them frequently for reading texts and emails to decide if they require me to pull my phone for an immediate response. I rely heavily on the weather and fitness functions, as well as stopwatch, timer and believe it or not: telling the time. They are also handy for accessing Siri.

Ultimately, it's just as the other have said. If money was not as much of a concern, I would definitely opt for the cellular. I wouldn't have been through all of these, except my wife keeps feeding my tech addiction.

echo victor likes this.
  5. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

Another question is what is the best material to get is titanium good I know it’s expensive but is it worth the money

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. rdisom

rdisom Loaded Pockets

All of mine have been the aluminum case. I first used the XDorian protective case, then moved to the Spigen bumper case. So none of my watch cases have been exposed to damage other than the watch face. Surprisingly, only one of them ended up with a very minor scratch on the face.

I would think the titanium would be the best, but the case isn't all that exposed. Protecting the watch face or the material for the face would be most important in my mind. I think they had some high dollar face material on the higher end of the assortment.

I use the case because I tend to hold down the crown button when my wrist is bent outward.

7. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

Sorry but another question When I tried one in the store my wrist got a bit itchy than went away after a while is it normal to be itchy and burning a bit or do you have to wear it a while to get used to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

Cao87

that has never happened to me; try one of the velcro-type bands

9. kapolani

kapolani Loaded Pockets

I have the non-cellular version.

This thing is worth the price of admission alone for notifications. I ride my harley during the summer a lot and it's nice to see what's up on my wrist.

I work in a lab and can be discreet about checking messages by looking at my wrist rather than carrying or obviously looking at my phone.

It's going on 3 or 4 years old now. I wear this watch more than any other I own. For rugged outdoors stuff I use my Suunto.

Devon Scout likes this.
  10. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

Similar thing for me. I’m a college lecturer and constantly having to tell students to put phones away. I’m also a work place first aider, so I need to have my phone on at all times. My Apple Watch allows me to discreetly look to see who’s calling and check messages at a glance. It’s also come in useful for checking pulses. Evidence has helped sending two students to Accident and Emergency.

kapolani likes this.
  11. kapolani

kapolani Loaded Pockets

Never thought about using it to check pulses.

Has it been able to pick up faint/spotty/weak pulse?

12. Devon Scout

Not really used it on faint or weak pulses. Had a lad faint and it showed a big dip in pulse rate. Also had a fast pulse before.

kapolani likes this.
  13. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Tech watches are a two edged sword. The offer many useful features, but they also add noise.
    I considered much back and forth before finally opting for the Garmin Fenix, and the Apple Watch was the last contestant.
    The Garmin has some features that I find useful now and then, but most of the time I prefer an old fashioned watch. I don’t think I would buy it again. As useful as it is those few times, it’s too much money and too much maintenance per hour of use.
    I was also considering another option; a small and simple activity tracker that could complement a regular watch rather than replace it At the time I didn’t find any that had an appealing combination of size and features, but most of all I dismissed it because I would have to give up some features I wanted for hunting, hiking, SAR and dog training, but seeing how reluctant I am to use a tech watch it’s an idea I might revisit if I stumble across a suitable activity tracker.
    Now back to the Apple Watch, my main reason for keeping it in the fight so long was mainly the cellular function. There have been quite a few occasions where I would have liked to have the added safety of cellular connection without hauling a big phone along. In the end that feature alone wasn’t important enough to pull ahead of the Garmin, but certainly something I would not be without if I ever decide to get an Apple Watch. We all use our devices differently, only you can know how much value the different features will add to your life.

Devon Scout likes this.
  14. Devon Scout

Only use mine for work. Outside of work I have Oris, Seiko, Orient and recently purchased a Hamilton Khaki. The functions on the Apple are great for work, but you can’t beat a good Automatic.

Moshe ben David and echo victor like this.