1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Apple Watch\iPhone battery

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Cao87, May 3, 2019.

1. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

does the Apple Watch drain or use up the iPhone battery

2. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I understand that it depends on how you use it. My wife wears an Apple Watch, uses it constantly and the impact on her phone’s battery seems to be small.

3. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

Ok thanks so receiving notification’s on Watch doesn’t affect the phones battery

chaosmagnet likes this.
  4. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

There’s likely a small impact, I’m not sure you would notice it.

5. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

Ok that is what I thought random question how long does the battery on a iPhone 7+
    Start to go because my phone I got a year ago April and it is very very slowly starting to
    Go

6. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

It's not the drain from the watch, it's the drain of having the WiFi or Bluetooth on all the time as the means of connection that is the drain. With that said, the demand using Bluetooth is little to nothing substantial when trying to run a watch with it. Unless your browsing your watch like it was a phone with a multitude of apps I doubt you will ever see a noticeable impact. Given most people don't actively turn their BT (or wifi) off when not in use for their car or headphones, the average user user shouldn't see any impact if they are new to the watch.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  7. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

That’s pretty normal. I’ve owned an iPhone 3G, 4, 5, 7, and now an XS, and other than the last one (which I’ve had for a week) all of them start noticeably losing battery capacity after around a year. Rechargeable batteries degrade with charge cycles as well as over time. There’s a really good article at https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/bu_808b_what_causes_li_ion_to_die.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  8. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

So when I’m where there is no wifi it will use Bluetooth to the Watch?

9. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yes.

10. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

I just upgraded from my 7 a couple of days ago. I had it just shy of 3 years and I was charging it 2-3 times a day to make it through the end of the day. Just got a XR and what a difference in battery life.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  11. Cao87

Cao87 Loaded Pockets

Ok, Another really stupid question is when I’m at work and I don’t have wifi and I text someone
    At work I will get a response back using Bluetooth. Lastly I thought having Bluetooth on all the
    Time would drain the battery. Or does it depend on how much you use it

12. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

Using the watch versus not in normal day use you might seen 5% extra drain on your phone from having Bluetooth on all day. It is a super low demand to use the watch as compared to headphones for example via Bluetooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chaosmagnet likes this.
  13. Abhi Beckert

Abhi Beckert Empty Pockets

Depending on usage pattern the watch can either reduce or increase phone battery life.

Notifications that go to the watch don’t go to the phone which helps phone battery life.

On the other hand - watch apps and complications can and do offload most of their processing to a companion phone app. So to maintain a weather report on your watch it is regularly powering up your phone to check for the latest weather observations.

It’s usually insignificant but I have had third party watch apps really hurt my phone battery. As in take up 40% of my total battery life.

Check the battery charts on your phone to see what is using all your power. Last time it happened to me I simply disabled a feature in a problem app to fix it.

Also - batteries don’t last forever. If your battery capacity is less that 80% of the original, Apple will replace it for a nominal fee. If it’s still in warranty this is free.

I think it’s $80 - not bad considering the labor unblocked and risk of damaging the device (they’ll give you a new phone if they break it).

chaosmagnet likes this.