1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Apple TV or Roku 3? ...

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by speedmaster, Mar 30, 2013.

1. speedmaster

speedmaster Loaded Pockets

Update, had the Roku 3 for maybe a month now. No regrets, absolutely love everything about it. Recommended! And this is coming from an Apple fanboy. ;-)

SAKplumber and 875fps like this.
  2. Medic715

Medic715 Loaded Pockets

Apple TV. I love that I can stream from my computer or other iDevices. It makes it easy when all my movies are stored on my spare HDD

3. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

My brother loves his roku.

I can stream stuff off my NAS box easily and been quite happy with it. I built it out of an old computer when I upgraded. Dumped FreeNAS on it. Stupid simple. I can access it via wifi for my Android devices or anything hooked up to the network. Hulu for everything on the network too. I've not bought, built or repurposed anything to hook it to my TV yet. But I'm still running an old Sony tube TV which shows how much TV time I use I guess. I guess I did buy a digital tuner box for OTA content. Don't use that much either.

speedmaster likes this.
  4. dpt2014

dpt2014 Empty Pockets

If you have an smart iDevice - Apple TV.

If you have Amazon Video - Roku.

If you have both, Apple TV and Roku (wish Apple TV had Amazon Video). And Amazon Video app on iDevices does not support AirPlay (shame).

5. fourxfour

fourxfour Loaded Pockets

We cut the cord and put an Apple TV in every room. Most of our viewing is on Hulu or Netflix. I have an XBOX to stream Amazon, but there are only a few exclusives that I can't get on Netflix or Hulu.

I do buy my favorite shows on iTunes. As of right now they are Justified, Archer, Walking Dead, and hopefully SHIELD when it comes out. There isn't much else I keep up with. It's nice to have the freedom to stream what I want or load it up on my iPad/iPhone when I travel.

I also AirPlay some Internet videos like TAC TV. I'm considering getting a subscription to Panteo as well.

All in all, much cheaper than when we had cable.

6. Chubb

Chubb Loaded Pockets

XBMC, I am into these Chinese android TV boxes that run XBMC. G-Box Midnight MX2. I am going to a video review in a couple days.

7. cabba2203

cabba2203 Loaded Pockets

I have both the Roku 2 XS fully loaded 1080p with all the extra ports (was the top of the Roku line), I got it on a Saturday and then that Monday they announced the Roku 3 release - Doh! It's nice, has loads of apps, tiny and lightweight. I also two weeks later got the Apple TV. I notice the Apple TV is more robust in construction, loads faster and it sits right next to my Roku and I notice the Roku will drop connection at times while streaming but my Apple TV will not (full bars). My router is an N900 EA4500 and configured for streaming media, I also have a 50mb cable internet connection and the drops only happen when using the Roku. So it could be the wireless adapter of the Roku is not as good as the one in the Apple TV. Maybe the Roku 3 has an updated wireless adapter? In any case, I have stuck with the Apple TV since the last software update added HBO Go and YouTube apps, I have all I normally use plus integration with iTunes is a bonus and Airplay streaming from my iPad, the Apple TV is more suited to my needs.

8. Jp85
    • In Omnia Paratus

Jp85 Loaded Pockets

I currently own both, i can honestly tell you that i like the Apple tv better. I am a mac user so to me being able to sync all my devices is very convenient. The apple tv is also a lot faster loading thatn the Roku is.

9. Peruvianmagic

Peruvianmagic Loaded Pockets

I just got an Apple TV the other day and love it. I'm an Apple fanboy so I'm biased. It's pretty sweet to mirror my phone on my tv and play my iPhone games on my tv like they are on a console.

10. villaphoto

villaphoto Loaded Pockets

Got a Roku 3 a few months ago. Love it. I do wish I had streaming to my TV but I got mine for free, so I really cant' complain!

speedmaster likes this.
  11. armedtetrapod

armedtetrapod Loaded Pockets

We have roku's set up at both of my parent's houses. BEST USER INTERFACE EVER. Super simple set up and we've never had any issues streaming. And for $30, you can't beat it!

speedmaster likes this.
  12. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

Just switched from AppleTV to Roku and I wont go back.

You have to Jailbreak the apple to get any decent use out of it

13. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Thought I'd chime in with some not very publicized features of the Roku box. I love my Roku3.

They just added streaming form devices to the Roku line from Newer android devices. I can play videos off my phone or tablet to my TV with the ROKU app.

More importantly, the Roku has a USB port for plugging in a USB flash drive to play media, but it also will read from a hard drive over USB 3.0. I have mine hooked up to a 1TB portable drive with all my movies and music on it.

14. Gatsby

Gatsby Loaded Pockets

I have several Macs and iPhones, etc... but two Android tablets - I don't really rent movies from iTunes - have Amazon Prime so streaming amazon matters and their rentals are cheaper... having a tough time finding a reason to get Apple TV given my needs - plus Roku's interface seems a lot easier for less tech savvy folks (my wife) to work through and less stress on the resident IT tech monkey (me)...

15. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

It's also worth noting that my wife is notoriously resistant to new technology that may complicate her life. She doesn't want to upgrade the home theater, TV or anything else that would be a hassle to deal with. It's not that she's not tech savvy, she has a smartphone, uses the computer, and is very smart, she just doesn't see the hassle of installing and learning new entertainment devices worth the payoff.

There have been 2 exceptions to this rule: The Logitech Harmony remote and the Roku. I think I'd have to replace either of them immediately upon their failure. She was initially resistant to the Roku and it was met with many an eye-roll, but after 2 days, she said "Oh, I love that thing. We're never getting rid of it". The UI is so good and it's easy to change streaming services. Hookup is a no-brainer (2 cables, power and HDMI). All around, it's a home run.

16. Gatsby

Gatsby Loaded Pockets

bleh - you raise a great point - perhaps tech resistant would better describe my wife (she manages an iPhone, computer, etc... fine albeit with some complaints here and there...) - the interface of the Roku is appealing - if she has to dig around switching between multiple apps etc... it will be problematic - my understand is Roku has a channel guide of sorts - big help there.

17. masiaka

masiaka Loaded Pockets

If you have an iPhone or an iPad then Apple TV is the best because they work together so well, if not then Roku is the best because it has more features. There are some things that you can only do with an Apple TV if you have an iPhone first. See the CNET comparison between Apple TV and the Roku 3.

speedmaster likes this.