1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anything cheaper than Maxpedition versipack line?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by someoneyoudontknow, Oct 10, 2010.

1. someoneyoudontknow

someoneyoudontknow Loaded Pockets

Pretty much topic. I'm looking into a single should pack for various things, and wanted to know if there were any cheaper alternatives for a slightly picky budget. I won't list any specific price range, but preferably less than 50 dollars would be nice if anyone has any suggestions. I'm wanting something I can load up for a short day/weekend trip and haul easily, but I could outfit for longer term trips, even at the cost of some comfort.

2. rabidchicken

rabidchicken Loaded Pockets

5.11 push packs maybe?

3. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

4. inzelique

inzelique Loaded Pockets

There are plenty of Maxped clones out there. I don't have any of the actual Maxped bags,(I cannot afford them) but the Remora clone and the Lunada clone I have are great! Check Ebay for "tactical shoulder sling bags" and some will pop up. You can find actual websites from there if you don't like using ebay.

5. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

The UTG Multi functional Tactical Bag is a pretty similar clone for about $25. I've looked at one before and they feel fairly sturdy, but they lack alot of the extra stitching you get with Maxpedition or 5.11. Still, it is half the price of even the 5.11 Push Pack. I guess it just depends on how much you really plan to carry it and how much punishment it needs to take? If you're going to rely on it alot I'd definitely go with the 5.11 Push Pack at the very least. I own one and you can really get alot in it. Another 5.11 option is their Bail Out Bag. It's larger than the Push Pack with more storage and has Molle panel inside you you can attach small pouches so they don't just bounce around in the bag. The 3 ammo magazine shaped pouches on the side are great for little items and with the side pockets give you 5 pockets for your smaller items. I own one of these too and use it primarily as a shooters bag, but I've carried it as a daily bag as well and it worked great. Both the Push Pack and Bail Out Bag are around $50.

6. dmanny

dmanny Loaded Pockets

I have one of the Leapers UTG bags. I would rate it at 75% of the quality of Maxpedition for 50% of the price. It's a good bag if you don't expect too much. Also,Maxpedition now has the KISS Jumbo for $40-50. I don't have that one but there should be some reviews on it.

7. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

5.11 push pack series! my olive drab one is built for war! and i aldo like thier organization set out better than max spud!

8. Eagle Scout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

The UTG version has held up well as my EDC. CheaperThanDirt also carries one in the same price range.

9. someoneyoudontknow

someoneyoudontknow Loaded Pockets

That Leaper UTG looks quite promising. Thanks for all of the input folks. It has been a big help.

10. iamsalomon

iamsalomon Loaded Pockets

I have a Maxped Fatboy and can attest to it's ruggedness, however I also have a BOB from LAPG which was under 20.00 which is outstanding. Ykk zippers, external pouches, and very rugged for the price. I still use the BOB on a daily basis and the Fatboy mainly for the weekend.

Best,
    John

11. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I recently got the entire 5.11 Catalog with an order from LAPoliceGear.com and was impressed. Their versipack knock off's are well priced and look to be of comparable quality. If I was in need of a versipack, but didn't want to pay the Maxped price....I'd try 5.11.

12. Flexxx

For the price of the 5:11 push pack, you can get a maxpedition fatboy.
    I think they are almost the same in cu. in. of space....

13. CanvasNBrass

Are they? Hm. One thing that has kept me away from the 5.11 lineup is their colors. They don't match well with other brands.

14. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

Well, Black is Black. Most of My 5.11 gear is in black. But the 5.11 coyote doesn't match Maxpeditions Khaki very well at all. Not sure about their OD green don't have any in either brand.

15. CanvasNBrass

Down here in Florida black really isn't an option, sadly.

16. Flexxx

5:11 likes to come out with there own style, its a good thing, but it sucks if you want to use other brands to mix.....

17. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Hi,

See my recent post on VOODOO Tactictal, I also understand that UTG is also two thumbs up.

I will not recomend the 5.11 Push Pack as they still have not corrected the issue with the sewn in pen holders.

If you use a clicky pen it will open it and get ink inside the pack and puncture items when you close the bag. The main flap contactes the tops of the pens the way the bag is made and if you use non clicky pens like a bic with a cap over the end the cover will rub the pen until it starts to wear on the bag. They assured me that they were going to lower the sewn in pen holders, however they have not so far.

Cliff

18. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

I just purchased the UTG last week and am very please with it. Was looking for something smaller then the maratac XL bug out bag, since I no longer carry my lap top home. Also wanted something for concealed carry in case the elections here in IL are good and we eventually join the 20th century and get concealed carry. Bunch of antigun commies running the show now, but I digress.

I can't decide if I like the rain flap or no (like the idea, hate the functionality) but the bag itself is a very sturdy bugger for the dough. Anybody clue me in to what to do with the d-ring that hangs of the strap on the front latch? Lost thge steel zipper pulls and went with paracord and that quieted it down alot.

19. dmanny

dmanny Loaded Pockets

On my UTG and Jumbo I roll the rain flap up so I can access the pockets better. I considered cutting it off but as soon as I do I would need it. I think the D ring is just to finish off the strap and keep it from feeding back through the SRB. It probably looks better than just a sewn over tab.

20. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

you can get a fatboy for the price of the push pack...but the push pack is way better built and maxpedition only use's 800d thread count as to the push pack is 1050d...sorry max ped has been beat!