1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone used a Zippo Hand Warmer ?

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by jtice, Nov 19, 2007.

1. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

Looking to get a nice hand warmer for this winter.
    I have used many, many of the hot hands warmers in the past, and probably still will for some things.
    But I wanted to try one of these other types.
    Anyone here used the Zippo one? Or others like it?

http://www.zippo.com/Products/handWarmer.aspx

Thanks
    ~John

2. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

I used to have one, mainly for cold football games. Mine worked great...until I lost it.

Did you see the custom pouches being offered here?

3. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

Those pouches are what reminded me I wanted to get one of these this year :D

Not sure how different that pouch would be than the supplied one though.

Does the Zippo warmer get hotter than those HotHands hand warmers? (the chemical pouches of powder)

~John

4. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

I don't know, John. I've never tried the chem warmers. Without the pouch, it can get quite warm, almost hot.

The one that comes with the Zippo is a bit restrictive in letting the heat out. The custom ones really look like they'd let more heat out. Plus, the Zippo closes with velcro, which could wear out.

5. Ice Tigre

Ice Tigre Empty Pockets

Do you know if these are packaged at all without the fluid included? All the online dealers just have it with the fluid, and I can't get it sent to me since it would have to go by air at some point in its journey....

I have one of the stic type warmers, and it gets HOT, but its a lot of trouble lighting/handling the fuel, and keeping it in the right position for the first half hour so it don't go out.... I'd like to try one of these this year.

G.

6. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

I saw a couple here and there without fluid, but that seems quite hard to come by :(
    But, it is an option at least, if you can find it.

Maybe have someone order you one and send it to you without the fluid?
    If they can use the fluid themselves.

~John

7. trapn1

trapn1 Empty Pockets

I've used the Jone lighter fluid type handwarmers since I was a kid, (many many moons ago). If the Zippos are similar they are great to stick in your pocket on a cold day. My son and I both use the jone's while running our trapline everyday. George

8. chiphead

chiphead Loaded Pockets

Checked it out on the webisite, I think it's worth a try. It should put out as much as my burnng stick wamers. Current tempurature here in Austin,TX is 34F.

chiphead

9. Ice Tigre

Ice Tigre Empty Pockets

:laugh: its from -10F to -20F here in the area, (-10F here, -20F in town 20 miles away...) Got my stick one out today.... still ain't seen the zippo one locally.

G.

10. herbicide

herbicide Loaded Pockets

Another name to look for with these is 'Peacock' pocket warmer.

The pouch (an interestingly tartan drawstring bag) lets nowhere near enough heat out, but the bare metal is too hot to hold for long. :shrug:

11. insaned

insaned Loaded Pockets

I've bought one recently from ebay, but still wating that it arrives. I'll post feedback as soon as I try it out.

12. herman30

herman30 Loaded Pockets

I have recently purchased the Peacock. I tested it by hanging it around my neck, in the pouch, against bare skin underneath the shirt. Had the idea that it warms the heart/lung-area and thereby giving maximum warmth. It got so hot through the fabric pouch that it almost felt like it burnt my skin.

Second test was by hanging it with shirt between heater and skin. That was better, still giving warmth throug shirt. And a jacket on top of everything. So I tend to disagree with Herbicide about it not giving enough heat through pouch. Perhaps you could tell more exactly how you use it? Thanks!

13. plateshooter

plateshooter Empty Pockets

I've used the Jon e warmers for years. I just fill mine with Coleman fuel, and they work fine. The pouch has to breathe or the warmer will go out. If you let the warmer run without the pouch, it gets too hot and will run out of fuel quickly. The pouch is more than just a bag to put the warmer into.

14. jp1357

jp1357 Empty Pockets

You guys take me back 40 years when I was a kid and me and my Dad would use them when we went ice fishing and that is how long it's been since I've used one. Been using Hot Hands for years, no smell, don't dry out, easy to store, I just keep them in my tackle box just waiting to be used, just rip them open shake and and away ya go.

15. peacefuljeffrey

Hello.

I am a big fan of the Zippo Handwarmer. I have one for myself, and I gave one to my brother for his birthday in November.

I am also the person who started the thread offering the custom hand-knitted pouches.

In answer to a few of the questions:
    - Subjectively, I feel that the knitted pouch allows better heat transfer than the supplied felt pouch. Plus they can be made in custom colors.
    - The velcro closure on the supplied felt pouch is a narrow strip and it does do the job OK, but as was mentioned, it could wear out.
    - The Zippo Handwarmer will definitely be TOO HOT for you to be able to safely hold if you do not keep it in some kind of pouch.
    - The Zippo Handwarmer is very effective and I like mine a lot.
    - The Zippo Handwarmer can be used effectively with the Zippo synthetic fuel (synthetic isoparaffinic hydrocarbon, a less-odorous naphtha substitute) or with other naphtha fuels (such as Ronson).

$35 is how much Zippo charges on their web store for a handwarmer, and it may seem a little steep but you get a lot for your money. I think that if you live in a really cold climate you ought to get two, one for each jacket pocket. If your hands are forced to share one warmer, they must be out of their pockets, and also not in gloves (which would insulate against the warming) and even then only the palms would benefit.

16. fasuto

fasuto Loaded Pockets

looks good, ordered one! :D

17. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Wish I would have found this thread sooner! I've been shooting a hockey tournament for the past three days, and my hands were freezing the whole time...may have to get one so I'm prepared for future events. :)

18. big payback

big payback Empty Pockets

Have one. Works great. Seems like some break-in time was needed, maybe to fully saturate the batting. And it may go out if it is removed from the pouch, the fuel resivoir gets cold, and stops vaporizing. Well made, keep it in the inside pocket of my Carharrt jacket. Works real good there... might try the hanging aroung the neck idea... Burned for over 20 hrs once... uses more fuel than specified... but the new stuff is odorless, almost.

19. russianesq

russianesq Empty Pockets

the zippo is hard to light up not sure about the other brands.

20. Scott Free

Scott Free Loaded Pockets

Got one for Christmas. So far, I've only used it indoors to play with it. It's warm when using the pouch. It's not hot. You definite need the pouch to help hold it all together. You DO NOT want to top to come off while it's in you pocket!!! My wife made a pouch out of thin cotton sheet material. It transfers heat a little better than the included pouch.

I plan to get a second one for my other pocket. I MAY get a third for against my chest. I really like these. At least in the house, I got 12 hours of heat (as advertised) for a half filling.