1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use their EDC at home, even if they don't need to?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by HappyStuffing, Nov 1, 2011.

1. HappyStuffing

HappyStuffing Loaded Pockets

Does anyone here use their favorite EDC around the house even though there are more efficient ways of going about it?

Ex. I find I sometimes (ok all the time!) use my flashlight around the house instead of turning on the lights.

- I sometimes purposely use my Leatherman (pick your model) to fix my bicycle even though I have a full toolset not far away.

- Occasionally, preparing food with my EDC knives despite being right in the kitchen.

How about you guys?

(note: let's keep gun talk out of this. Gun talk seems to eventually gravitate towards morality and philosophical debates. Not really fun to talk about. I have no idea how you would EDC a gun for fun in the house anyway.)

2. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Sometimes.

3. tgunderson
    • In Omnia Paratus

tgunderson Loaded Pockets

I always use my edc blade to cut up food during dinner. It's a better blade than the cheap kitchen knives we have so it's the wise decision ;)

4. HappyStuffing

hehe, I have another thought to that. Perhaps you have purposely avoided buying decent kitchen knives so that you have an excuse to use (and buy) more EDC knives? eh? eh? :poke:

5. tgunderson
    • In Omnia Paratus

tgunderson Loaded Pockets

Well... The girlfriend loves what I cook so she let's me do my thing :)

6. grrradical

grrradical Loaded Pockets

Yeah, definitely. I fixed my shower the other day with my LM Wave even though I have a full toolset sitting in my closet. For some reason it seems more fulfilling not having to sift through my tool bag.

7. Moonduck

Moonduck Loaded Pockets

My EDC knife has seen frequent use opening things around the house, or for other cutting chores. I don't tend to do food prep with it, but that is largely because it's a pretty short blade. I'd rather use the longer knives for that sort of work.

And I use my multitool quite a bit around the house for impromptu repairs. If I have the proper tool nearby, I'll use it, but if I can accomplish the task with the MT, and getting the right tool means a coupla flights of stairs, yep, using the MT.

Flashlights not so much. Light switches are in handy places.

8. HappyStuffing

I think you've nailed it on the head there. It certainly is fulfilling when you are able to fix a small job quickly without having to sift through a toolbox. In the time it takes to find the 2 or 3 tools in the toolbox you would have already fixed the said problem with the multitool

+1 for the multiool/EDC! Take that you over-sized toolbox! :)

9. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

Yes. I'll use my flashlights randomly (though I don't need to) and use my knives for all sorts of tasks even though there will be scissors in the drawer right next to me. It's more fun to use a knife!

10. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Yes
    I frequently use my edc knife to open packages, my edc light in the dark and my leatherman or swisstool instead of pliers or instead of getting my proper tools

I actually use my edc around the house more than outside the house

11. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

I use my EDC light at night when my wife asks me to go do something like adjust the thermostat or check out a cat fight in the living room. I use my EDC blade all the time to open packages and pouches and mail and anything else that has my bare fingers stymied. I use my MT screwdriver and pliers very regularly despite having a 40 pound tool bag available with just about everything I could ever need in it right to hand.

12. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

Flashlight, Pirhana tool and Leatherman Wave are the EDC items I use the most at home. More quickly accessible than toolbox in the basement.

13. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I use My EDC all day everyday no matter where I am. :)

If I got a big job I will bring Tool's but for the most part I use what I carry on me.

14. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Sometimes instead of walking across the room to turn on a light I just use my EDC light, or like last week instead of getting my instead of going and getting my tools to change a wall switch I used my Leatherman Wave.

15. mikey

mikey Banned

Yesterday I had to take the cover off a clients desktop to clean the dust out and just used my Teton to do that instead of going to my desk to get a screwdriver! I just happed to have my Teton in my belt pouch.

16. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Echo that! ;D

17. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

More often than I should. Reach for Atwoods to open bottles, flashlights instead of flipping switches, and recently used a new Bark River to cut what I thought was twine :brickwall:. It was poly coated wire :'(.

18. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

Of course. I could turn on several lights, on my path, for a few minutes each and reduce the bulb life or just pop on my flashlight. A multitool in my pocket beats plyers in my tool chest. And I almost alway open plastic bags with my EDC knife ( but then I do not use that knife for anything gross-just a lifestyle thing) Not much else gets at home use.

19. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

I'm always using the Philips screwdriver in my EDC SAK to fix something around the house. Sometimes I grab an EDC flashlight out of a drawer instead of switching on a room light. It does use battery power but it is also more fun. I don't use EDC blades in the kitchen but I should. Most of the kitchen knives are fairly dull or cheap. I have one good one--a Spyderco kitchen knife (now discontinued) that I snagged before they were all gone--but it is so sharp and long that for most tasks I am afraid to use it! Dang it is sharp!

Sometimes I take out one of my small EDC lights and turn it on just to make sure it is working properly. Did that the other day and it led me to lubricate the screw threads. Now I'm happier with the way it turns on (a 4Sevens Mini 123).

You can't really appreciate these items until you start using them. For those of us in an urban setting, who rarely need to use EDC items, using them at home is a good way to test and appreciate them.

How's that for a good excuse?!

20. bladeblabber

bladeblabber Loaded Pockets

I sometimes do. But i use my knife a lot at home for everything (not food prep though) and its still more convenient then going to find scissors or something. I usually turn the light on but if im across the room from the switch and i just have to find something then ya i use my light. My EDC is just as convenient for me at home then outside of my home.