1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use mechanical pencils?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Navck, Mar 30, 2006.

1. JordanG

JordanG Empty Pockets

I used to use Pentel P205s, then I bought a black Rotring 500 0.5mm when I was in college. Nicest piece of writing equipment I've ever owned. So solid feeling. Unfortunately I left it at home, as I was afraid of losing it over here in Iraq.

2. knestle

knestle Banned

I checked them out. The look like real quality 'upscale' items at a very reasonable price.
    Unfortunately the shipping cost from any vendor I could find was excessive.

I found this on ebay for $5.97 and $1.56 shipping.

Staedtler Mars 780 BK 2mm Lead Holder Pencil.

Thanks for the input.

3. knestle

knestle Banned

Be VERY careful that you don't lose something else over there.

Uh, oh! I feel another story coming on! :(

As a teenager my brother somehow acquired a stainless steel ballpoint pen. At that time(the early '60's) they were rare and rather expensive.
    When he enlisted in the Navy at 18 the pen was the only thing of any value that he owned. So he left it with our mother for safe keeping.

He returned from his tour in the Navy, collected his pen, and went on about his life.

Many years later he was working as an operations manager for UPS, flying around the country, visiting terminals, shaping them up, visiting customers.
    Everywhere he went he picked up logo pens, hotels, customers, suppliers, etc. . .

He kept his collection of logo pens, and his stainless steel pen, in the drawer of the nightstand by his bed.

He came home from a trip, went to the nightstand to add a few more pens to the collection, and found only a cellophane package of eight BIC stick pens.

He asked his wife where his pens were.
    "You didn't need all those cheap pens. I threw them out and got you some nice BIC's".

4. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

What, you think there's something wrong with a nice bic? :lolhammer:

5. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Bic has NOTHING...

Well I like the 4 collor pen....

That moves me!

I'm going to look around for a mech pencil to add to my pocket carry.

6. JordanG

JordanG Empty Pockets

:laugh: Oh snap, son! :laugh: That's a riot!

7. TheDevilsDue

TheDevilsDue Empty Pockets

Should stocked up. Check out what (earlier model) Rotring 600's sell for on eBay...

8. Dodger

Dodger Empty Pockets

I like the Staedtler Mars Micro 775 .09mm or the Pentel P209

I prefer to carry the .9mm for daily carry as they a bit more robust.

I also like my Staedtler Mars Technico 782's I have 2 both early 1970's models I inhereted form my Dad.

9. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

I usually prefer to use a pencil than a pen (easier to erase). For that reason I carry a Zebra mechanical pencil in my pencil pouch.

10. Ktor

Ktor Loaded Pockets

11. Foskey

Foskey Loaded Pockets

I personally prefer a mechanical pencil to a pen. Haven't carried one around in awhile though. .05mm is my personal preference. I write fairly small.

12. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Throughout school and university I was using a Pentel q1000 .5mm pencil, which I believe my dad got for me though his work stationary cupboard, and I have never been able to find another of since (google brings up a couple of mentions to foreign sites). It always seemed excellent to me, does the job perfectly and had a cool grip and construction.

Latterly I have moved over to pens though - for university notes and so on a gel based pen seemed a lot brighter and clearer, so I have moved over to them (Parker jotters or Fisher Space Pens)

I still have the pencil I got in school though, and in fact an eraser I got at the same time (the generic staedler ones in the blue card) which is now a tiny stub of its former self :)

13. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

After posting, I dug out the pencil and had a look, and despite the big 'q1000' name on it, I realised it is also labelled 'Pentel q1005' in smaller letters, which google tells me is more commonly called a Pentel 'Smash'.

I may have to get myself a couple and load them with darker lead :)

14. thunderlight

thunderlight Empty Pockets

When it comes to pencils, I generally end up using a standard wood pencil because that's what's around. However, in a briefcase I carry a Sanford Phd model pencil. This appears to be the same as the Papermate Phd, however it comes in a sort of fancy black plastic with gold trim. It uses an ample eraser that extends when the top portion is rotated clockwise. I use it so infrequently, however, that I am not sure exactly how to replace the 0.7 mm leads. It looks like you pull out the top and drop the leads in. I'm guessing that the current PhD model from papermate is mechanically identical, but I have never felt the need to purchase one, even though I like the PhD pen.

I liked the OLD Cross Century pencils with the 0.9 mm leads, but Cross got rid of that design a long time ago and their pencil designs have gotten worse and worse.

15. IceAuger

IceAuger Loaded Pockets

Alvin user here. I started out in college with the Draft/Matic but later found they make the retrac model and is the one I like to carry in my pocket on a daily basis. I prefer the 0.3mm pencils but started out with a 0.5mm that I don't use much anymore. The Draft/Matic is nice to use because of it's weight, but the retrac is easier to carry around. I've included a picture of the arsenal that I use in my engineering duties.

[​IMG]

16. thunderlight

thunderlight Empty Pockets

Hi,

Recently obtained some mechanical pencils for a variety of purposes priced at $10 or less. My key criterion was an ample eraser. Of course, I would expect a thinner mechanical pencil to have a narrower eraser. Mostly, I checked the big box stores in my area. The choices reflected a series of compromises.

The mechanical pencils I liked were a Papermate Phd Ultra 0.5 mm, a Pentel Twist Erase III 0.9 mm, a Sakura Sumo Grip 0.9 mm, and a Tul [Office Max house brand] 0.7 mm. All had "twist to extend" erasers. The Tul had a smaller diameter eraser than the others, but it was a thinner pencil as well. All had plastic barrels. Except for the Sakura, all had metal clips. All had retractable sleeves except the Pentel. To me, the Tul had the most luxurious appearance. The Papermate appeared to be the most comfortable to use fo rextended periods of time. The Pentel has a retro mid-century look due to the three hole pattern on the clip. I expect the Pentel to be the most reliable due to the fixed sleeve.

I considered a model from Staedtler, but its "twist to extend" eraser was not stocked at Staples even though Staples sells that particular model. [Why doesn't that surprise me?]

I'll keep you posted on my experiences.

17. STHFNGLD

STHFNGLD Empty Pockets

Only in math class :laugh:

18. ironlung

ironlung Empty Pockets

I carry a Zebra M-301 with me everywhere. The only problem that I have with it is the tiny eraser. For that reason, I carry around a classic Pink Pearl to correct larger problems. Like other Zebra products I love the feel and the 0.5 mm lead size is the only way to go. IMO.

19. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

I like white plastic erasers instead of rubber ones like the Pink Pearl. The white erasers don't damage the paper as much.

20. jenkinma

jenkinma Loaded Pockets

GUILTY! :laugh:

As an engineer, there is nothing like having the right tools to write with. I usually use a pencil... but I haven't really invested in a "top notch" tool at this point.

I have lead holders left from my drafting days in high school, inherited some from my dad and grandfather (both engineers) and usually can be found with a simple Pilot G-2 or good'ol Pentel. I prefer .5 over .7 lead. To solve the small eraser problem, I usually have a seperate eraser holder.

To compound this genetic prediliction, I usually write on that beautiful green engineering paper... go figure. :-X