1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use mechanical pencils?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Navck, Mar 30, 2006.

1. laurent

laurent Empty Pockets

Even if I more a pencil guy (vintage Conté-Gilbert), I use regularly the cheap Bic Matic (0.7), filled with 2B Conté leads.
    I used also the 0.7 mm Bic TopGum (a rebadged Pentell), but I don't like the ergonomics (round barrel, moving clip).
    One on my favourite mechpencil was the Conté Criterium (created in 1939 !), an excellent aluminium 2mm pencil. But with the rise of 0.5 and 0.7 mm pencils, 2 mm leads availability begun to fade two or three years ago.

[​IMG]

The new version of the Criterium, Bic-labelled, is black and with a plastic barrel. I don't like it at all.
    I hope someday Bic will replace the Criterium (rather than spoiling it with a plastic new version) by providing a metal Bic Matic. It could be one of the best all-around mechpencil of the world.

2. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Loaded Pockets

3. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

When I need a pencil, then yes, mechanical all the way. I like nice sharp lines.

4. Guarddog
    • In Omnia Paratus

Guarddog EDC Junkie !!!!!

I use mechanical pencils with .05mm lead and the large retractable eraser on a daily basis. I'm surrounded by dozens of them ... at home, the office, my EDC bag. I despise wooden pencils and seldom use an ink pen but I do EDC a couple out of necessity.

5. Marduke

Marduke Loaded Pockets

Although I EDC an ink pen, I often use pencils at my desk. For over 10 years I used the Pentel Quicker Clicker PD325. My model seems unique, as I can't find it anywhere online. Similar to the original no-rubber model, but the tip is retractable, and the clip is also different. It's a single flat piece of curved metal instead of the regular shaped one (hard to describe). I seem to recall them being packaged as a "Quicker Clicker Jr." model. I had two, and as components broke over the years I still have one working model cobbled together from the pair.

These days I find myself using a stainless Parker Jotter .5mm most of the time. It's such a classy mechanical pencil, and cheap too at ~$7.

6. bartsdad

bartsdad Loaded Pockets

I use my F-701 converted to a pencil (m-402 donor) multiple times daily. All repair order comments at work written in pencil. I've got to quit dropping the darn thing on the concrete floor and screwing up the tip. :lolhammer:

7. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

It's not like these is it?

If you want a nice retractable point mechanical pencil, you might also try:

Pilot/Namiki Vanishing Point ($15~20)
    Papermate Apex - I carry a 0.5 mm with me everyday. Not only is the point retractable and slow-advancing, but the pencil also stores quite a bit of twist-advance eraser. They are quite reasonably priced on eBay.

8. Marduke

Marduke Loaded Pockets

No, it's not that model. Mine is opaque black, and the clip is similar to that of a Spyderco Delica - just a flat piece bent into a wavy clip without being folded under itself like the original Quicker Clicker model. The metal portion of the tip is also retractable.

Who knows, perhaps I have rare collectible that worth a fortune....

9. yoyosma

yoyosma Loaded Pockets

I picked up a few Mars Technico leadholders this week off Office Depot's clearance rack for .50 each! :woohoo:

10. chris777

chris777 Loaded Pockets

Man I snagged like 5 of them for $2.50 thinking I was getting a deal at an out of the way store several months back.

I unfortunately had the 2 closest stores near me go under recently and have to head out of town to hit one.

11. froldt

froldt Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying a Pentel 205A for over 10 years now (kept "borrowing" Dad's and he finally gave me one of my own). My art teacher always wanted me to use a wooden pencil for drawing, but I'd stick to the mechanical 90% of the time. I love the consistent fine lines I get from a mechanical pencil. I might have to look into a 0.3, though.

For school I've been carrying some Zebra M-301's. Got a package of them at Sam's for cheap, so while I like them, I also don't mind lending them out in case I don't get them back.

I EDC one of these two, with more in my bag.

I keep a Pentel Clic Eraser in my bag as well. It's invaluable.

12. macman37

macman37 Empty Pockets

I do a lot of sketching and I love mechanical pencils.

Probably from the old drafting class days in the 80s. But I draw with them. I keep a lot of them around and lots of lead of varying hardness too.

For drawing they're a great way to fly. :)

13. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

I've been using mechanical pencils since I was in middle school. Right now I have a Pentel Sharp P205, a couple of Staedtler Integrity 9505's, and a Pentel GraphGear 500. They all take 05.mm lead. My favorite at the moment is the GraphGear. It has a nice weight, and the grip places the center of gravity in a way that almost makes you feel like the pencil is writing by itself.

14. ethernectar

ethernectar Empty Pockets

I love mechanical pencils, my favorite is probably the Graphgear 1000. This is my collection as of a couple months ago.

[​IMG]

Got almost all of them at jetpens.com

15. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I have essentially no use for Pencils during the work day.

I do keep a few handy here at home though.

The one I almost always pick up is a Pentel 0.5mm PD15 with side advance. Also have a Paper:Mate Clickster Grip 0.5mm and a Pentel 0.7mm PG307 close by.

May look into doing the 402 pencil into 701 mod however as I do like that 701 body!

16. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

There are cults of leadholder users. Yeah, they even have a term for it. Personally, I just get Koh-I-Noor Toison d'Or versions, that are great for drafting, sketching, etc. At least for my clutch pencils.

17. knestle

knestle Banned

WOW! You guys sure do know how to open a can of worms!

Who was it that said: "The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know."?

I'm in the process of assembling a small(I hope) EDC emergency bag. One of the items I have is a 3x5 Write in the Rain notebook. They recommend a pencil rather than a pen. I'm thinking what a hassel it would be to carry, and keep track of, a pencil sharpener(I know you can use a knife but that seldom give you an acceptable point). I never even considered a mechanical pencil until I stumbled across this thread.

I remember now that I already have a Mechanical pencil, a Rotring 600 that I picked up while working at Sanford pen(right here in Bolingbrook, IL, until they moved South). I also have the Rotring 600 pens in silver, black, and lava. $25 retail, $4.60 for employees. ;D

While reading the thread I had already discounted my Rotring because of its skinny lead, and was very happy to see mention of .6 and .9 leads being available(I'm TOTALLY ignorant in this area). And got excited when I saw mention of 1.3, 1.5, and then 5, 6 and 9 lead sizes. I'm thinking about writing on paper in the rain.

Well, you guys have given me several links to check out, lots to think about, and some decisions to make.
    Thank you all.

18. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

I also love my Graphgear 1000. Classic pencil, I use it everyday.

19. knestle

knestle Banned

OK. I've wasted enough time poking around the various links and websites.
    I know what I want.
    I'll ask the guys who seem to know their stuff.

I WANT: a mechanical pencil that uses 2mm lead, and HB or B leads, less than $20.

Can someone tell me where to find it?

20. termite

termite Loaded Pockets