1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use mechanical pencils?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Navck, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Paul B.

Paul B. Loaded Pockets

Sorry man, I have no idea what you mean with your second sentence. :oops:

2. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Sorry about the mis-spelling and the upper case L. Should have been deleted. A lead sleeve lets you more acurately use rulers in technical drawing. The tip on the right is for writing and the tip on the left is for drawing/drafting. In to this mix you may also tip the issue of whether or not the tip should have suspension or be fixed. Writing and drawing have different requirements. Some suggest therefore that you should use different mechanical pencils for each task

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul B. likes this.
  3. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kkay likes this.
  4. Jammin82

Jammin82 Loaded Pockets

You know, since most of my writing is note-taking, it works wonderfully well. Pentel GraphGear 1000?

TheMechanic likes this.
  5. Paul B.

Paul B. Loaded Pockets

Ah, I understand what you mean! And no, have not used them, haven't really found a need, but I'll check by the store later today and check them out!

6. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I'm an old time draftsman (a real one) and we used to call them "lead holders". I have a whole slew of them from when I used to do piping isometrics and electrical drawings while working in a chemical plant. Mine are all mostly Koh-I-Noor and Staedtler. The sharpeners, the one I have is K&M, was a circular thing where you inserted the pencil and moved it around in an orbit. It sharpened the lead, but didn't scratch the holder. <bringing back memories now>

Then there were all the inking tools for mylar. An inking tool looked like a pen from a distance, but up close it was nothing like a "pen". Up close it looked more like an adjustable set of tweezers. You set the line weight (thickness) and then dipped the pen in ink; the surface tension of the ink held a fair amount of ink between the tines above the tip. If you knew how to do it right you could draw a pretty long line (or several) with just one dip into the ink.

The inking tools were always the scariest; if you made a mistake at this stage you could lose a whole sheet, but you never inked over the pencil so starting over wasn't a complete loss. The process was; you did the drawing on paper with pencil first, then you taped down a sheet of mylar over the top of it (some guys would use a light table for this part, but I never did). Then, starting at the top right corner of the sheet you began the inking process. This was to keep from smearing the ink as you moved the drafting machine down and left on the sheet.

Oh, the memories. Sorry for the trip down Memory Lane.

7. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Ahhh. The gloy of the good old days. My bet is that there are only a few guys on this forum that know how to use a ruling pen. This used to be part of my EDC, back in college. So I guess I can show it here

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

WillAdams likes this.
  8. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I have one Staedtler MARS 780 Lead holder and a whole slew of .5 to .7 pencils.
    There are 3.5" of usable Lead in the MARS.

Stuart Mantel likes this.
  9. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

My Kuru Toga 0.5 was only about 5-6 dollars. It is better than my other pencils so far.

Stuart Mantel likes this.
  10. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I suppose I could surf jet pens.
    But a job sure is needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

11. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

If you're doing a census, yeah, I'm one of the guys who knows how to use a ruling pen (or used to, hands and eyes not as steady for the second half century of life as during the first).

Since I carry a fountain pen, I use a multifunction pen / pencil (Skilcraft B3 Aviator --- I really wish they'd make a B4 (really miss my rubber-coated Levenger branded Rotring Quattro) --- one of these days I'm going to have to buy a lathe and look into making my own) since I can't imagine carrying three devices in a shirt pocket.

12. TheMechanic

TheMechanic Loaded Pockets

+1 for graph gear 1000 you really can't go wrong.

Ooh! Ooh! And a pentel sharp kerry! My first $ edc mech pencil.

13. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

The Pentel Sharp Kerry is an amazing pencil. When someone asks me for a pencil recommendation, it's always the first pencil I have them try.

--flatline

14. Matthew A.

Matthew A. Empty Pockets

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, given all the great postings here I thought it time, given it’s Family Day here in Ontario, to post my little collection of mechanical pencils.

Now, I’m left-handed, so I need a pencil that can take the stress of left-handed writing. There are two general types of Lefties, “The Claw” and “The Pusher”. You know The Claw; they are the ones who contort their hand in unimaginable ways so that they end up pulling the pencil across the page from left to right. The Pusher on the other hand (no pun intended) pushes their pencil, and the lead, across the page. I’m a Pusher, so you can probably guess the stress that places on the pipe as well as the lead itself and for that matter, the paper.

They are all 0.5, for me, that perfect combination of strength and fineness, and all contain F lead. For Lefties we are plagued with the bulk of the lead ending up on the edge of the hand, rather than on the page. So F lead is the best blend of hardness, reducing residual pick-up on the hand edge, and legibility. Oh by the way, I use these for writing not drafting or drawing.

So, from left to right we have . . .

Pentel AccuGraph PG1505AD
    A beautiful writing instrument. When my uncle died and I had to clear up his desk this came home with me. It’s from the early 70s as near as I can estimate. Simply delightful, a gold standard.

TWSBI Precision
    When I went looking for a replacement for the PG1505AD (now in a hallowed position and in retirement) I found the TWSBI ("TwisBee") pencil. Long, somewhat heavy, superb build quality; A remarkable writing instrument.

Pilot Vanishing Point H1005
    A retractable pencil, a bit heavier, excellent build quality, from the early 80s. I received it without clip, and it rolls like crazy, so I added a clip I had hanging about. Very nice to write with, although I do find the retraction to be heavy to activate.

Pentel Kerry P1035
    My favorite EDC and my go-to pencil. A lovely writing instrument. I would like a couple more of these. Perfect for pocket carry with the cap. Perfect size. Love it.

Pilot S10
    Another fantastic writing instrument from Pilot. Light, great knurling, great size, a wonderful writer.

Staedtler Micromatic
    A gift when I graduated from the British Columbia Institute of Technology in the early 80s. Used for many years. An automatic pencil with lead advancing with pressure on the tip. Not a great design for Lefties.

Pentel Clicker PD345
    Classics. In clear and blue, used when at BCIT in the 80s. Durable, hard-writing, love ‘em.

Zebra Frisha Automatic
    An odd pencil, lead advances by way of the weighted blob that slides in the body, give it a light shake and the lead advance. The grip is starting to stretch a bit, so it's no longer in rotation.

Staedtler Polo
    Love this pencil, light, easy to hold. I use it from time to time, but it’s not a pencil for Pushers.

Papermate Dynagrip
    My daily user, grippy, light, held-up well over the years. Yes years, surprisingly well made.

Papermate Comfortgrip
    My daily user when I’m out and about. Great quality for the price. I buy in packages and rarely go through them due to wear, they last. I go through them because this is the pencil I provide when someone says, “have a pencil?” I rarely get them back, but at least I know I’ve given out a good product. Great value.

Then in the separate photo

Sanford Extend Retractable
    A well-used, almost completely worn out Sanford Extend from the mid-90s. I have this, plus another NIB, a “Sanford in Waiting” so to speak. Great EDC, great pencil.

Papermate Retractable
    No longer remember the model and the weirdo grippy stuff has long worn off. I have two of these as well, one NIB, likewise in waiting. Another well-used product. I find it ugly, yet hard working!

So there we go!

Matthew A.

Last edited by Matthew A., Feb 20, 2017
    #234 Matthew A., Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  15. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

^
    Cool collection and spiffing post

I guess I'm a Claw ;)

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Matthew A.

Matthew A. Empty Pockets

Ah yes, my brother is a Claw. Four siblings, two are Lefties. Interestingly, my brother is also named Mark. Of course you know that Lefties are the only people in their right minds . . .

Mark_Trail likes this.
  17. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Dropped into an Office Max.
    They had .5 .7 and .9 Graph Gear 1000 at least 3-5 of each.
    Did not need. Should not have gotten

[​IMG]

And there is a spare out in the truck.

PragmaticMurphyist and WillAdams like this.
  18. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Can anyone confirm or deny that my old Duofold uses 1.3mm?

19. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@PBJS II: try this website: http://www.parkerpens.net

Additionally, try contacting Teri at Peyton Street Pens. She does a lot with vintage and previously owned Parkers. http://www.peytonstreetpens.com

Over the history of the Duofold the pencils have used a range of lead sizes. I know there were 1.1 mm leads in use way back in the 1920's; could be these were actually 1.13 or 1.12. I have a few Duofold pencils that are in that range; also some at 0.9 mm or 0.7 mm

1.1 mm is not that hard to find these days; even some current production in other brands (especially Retro 51) use that size.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

20. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I took a .5 and a .7 and it took a bit of force to get them side by side on there. And they won't go easily out and in the nose cap.
    So I must presume 1.1 is the true size.