1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use mechanical pencils?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Navck, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Many have pointers in the cap as well. But what brand are yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Stuart Mantel

Stuart Mantel Loaded Pockets

the one on the bottom (showing the lead) is a Staedtler Mars. The other one is a Koh-I-Noor (with a pointer in the cap). There also a rotring 800 that didn't make it into the photo because I don't know where I last laid it down. I have several others scattered among the flotsam and jetsam of my life. :D

I think of them as the erasable version of a fountain pen. Not for writing quickly but for when you want to slow down and consider what you are going to put on paper.

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen, Is it safe to assume that you are a lover of the clutch pencil as well? Maybe an engineering background?

Last edited by Stuart Mantel, Oct 16, 2015
  3. Corgi

Corgi EDC Junkie

I use them. I prefer to able to erase rather then just scratch out words.

4. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Oh yes! I like a good clutch. In the 2 mm field my favorite would be the aluminium Caran d'ache. As you can see I have a Mars techno as well. Have posted my whole 'heard' earlier in the thread, but here are my 2 millimeter clutches again

[​IMG]

Stuart Mantel likes this.
  5. Stuart Mantel

I always liked the design of these but I don't like the thicker lead for a writing pencil.

Retro 51 also has some nice designs but only in the 1.4mm lead.

Nice collection.

6. Stuart Mantel

Does this one have a pointer in the cap? I've looked at these but don't know if I can live with a 3.2mm lead.

7. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

It do not have a pointer sadly, hence the small Faber Castell lead pointer. It takes 2,0mm and 3,2mm.

I agre that the 1,4 is too wide for normal writing. It is more a pencil for scribbling, story boarding, flowcharting or where writing connects to drawing

8. bigfabdaddy

bigfabdaddy Loaded Pockets

I would live to carry both a mech pencil and a pen but would like to find a more executive style set that can replace the uzi pen that I have been carrying for the last 10 months.

9. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I have one of those Steadtler clutch pens in 2MM. I had no idea the cap had a sharpener in it until browsing this thread!

10. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Pencil (idiot)

11. Stuart Mantel

We live and we learn. Better than some people who only live.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

12. Stuart Mantel

There are a lot of sets out there, Cross and Parker are probably the most common. The Retro51 (retro51.com) Tornado line is a "fatter" design but it feels good in the hand. They also make matching fountain pens to go with the ballpoint and pencil. After that it starts to get really pricey.

13. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Kaweco have some nice sets. Their sports series are short and stout. Their Aluminium special series are black and sleek (short version or long version)

14. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I really have no reason to carry a pencil. The only thing I do with one is estimate what I make on a run but in the end I use ink when I know for sure.

15. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

These are my current sketching mechanical clutch pencils. Both are Rosetta brand. One holds a 2mm and the other a 5.5 lead. The Rosetta DaVinci has a pointer in the cap and I use a KUM pointer for the 2mm. In the tin are my wooden staedtler pencils. I have used up most of them and have switched to the mechanical this year.

16. Jammin82

Jammin82 Loaded Pockets

Some of the new Japanese mechanical pencils automatically rotate the lead so you're always writing with a sharp bit, and they're not expensive. The Uni Kuru Toga runs about 15 or 16 dollars, works amazingly well. Mine's in .5, but that's personal pref.

17. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

How do you find it? I have the same one, and I find the rotation useless. If I were writing notes, then I can see how it can rotate, but I tend to use mine for technical drawings that involve long strokes, so it does not get the chance to rotate as it requires the pencil lead to break contact with the page.

18. ecksdog

ecksdog Loaded Pockets

Actually Staples carries the cheap version for 5 or 6 bucks if u want to try.

theirishboxer likes this.
  19. Paul B.

Paul B. Loaded Pockets

Same as with pens, I only use the Parker Jotter mechanical pencils, in stainless. I guess it's because I've always used Jotter pens, but I love the extra weight of them, feels like it gives me a bit more control of the pencil, especially in more detailed drawings, such as technical, design, schematics, et cetera. The plastic ones just feel flimsy and cheap.

20. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

I like the heft of a metal pen, but a jotter for drawing? Have you tried one with a L
    led sleeve?