1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use a dehydrator?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by scríbhneoir, Jan 23, 2009.

1. DiabloSc(+)pe

DiabloSc(+)pe Loaded Pockets

AMEN ! Ain't That the Truth ! and if you give some , they always want more :ready: !!

2. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

'Scope wants to know if you can make your own chewing tobacco! :laugh:

Sorry bro, couldn't let it slide!

3. DiabloSc(+)pe

DiabloSc(+)pe Loaded Pockets

Seriously ! that was funny as heck !!!!! :lolhammer: You Should have seen my face ! I went AHAHAHA!! Out Loud !!!

4. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

ABSOLUTELY! See my sig line. :)

Others have raved about it, too. I think that is the one I'm going to go with. I have found a place with the best price, and I thank everyone for your helpful input and suggestions! :thumbsup:

5. peacefuljeffrey

I like the idea, but it's really not feasible here where I live.

As for not using heat, I suppose I could just as easily turn down the thermostat on my Snackmaster, but it would take far longer to dry the jerky, I imagine.

6. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

A bit OT, but since we have a dehydrator thread...

Has anybody tried dehydrating eggs? I got an instructions leaflet with my dehydrator that mentions it, but doesn't say how or what the result should be like. I like the idea, it would be handy to have dried just-add-water eggs around sometimes, but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. If someone has, I'd like to hear about it. I wonder how well they keep?

7. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

They do dehydrate, I have yet to do it. i've bought the powdered stuff from the camping stores but I've never been able to reconstitute it. Ever! lol...I may try again!!!

8. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

Here's a link. Appears to work best for fresh-from-your-backyard eggs. But botulism and salmonella can be a problem if you're not scrupulously clean about it.

9. peacefuljeffrey

I read a bit about botulism on wikipedia or somewhere once... That is NOT something you want to screw around with! Seriously!

It's something like worms eating through your flesh, that you can never get rid of!

No, thanks, I won't be trying to dehydrate any eggs... :green:

10. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I don't think I'm going to try it either, but thanks for the info.

11. moonshinematt

moonshinematt Empty Pockets

only for deer jerky!

12. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

OK, im bumping this one up,, my wife got a dehydrator for her birthday, but i think im more excited then her, last night i had some beef cubes that i sliced up and threw in a bowl to marinade, only thing is i haven't got the slightest clue what to marinade it with, needless to say there edible but i need something better, the gas station around the corner, OMG he gets some in and its the best dang stuff ive ever had hands down, of course you cant get any info on it. if anyone knows anything on beef jerky im all ears TY JR

13. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

You need to season the meat heavier than you think. It does require a lot of salt. Make several small batches and separate them on trays for a taste test. Salmon is good too.
    [​IMG]

14. rwdflynavy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

rwdflynavy Loaded Pockets

I've got a harvester with 4 trays. I just throw the trays in the dishwasher and they come clean. I have tried lots of different marinades for beef jerky, but usually come back to a mix of soy sauce, ginger and some honey. Yum!!

15. themadplumbarian

Hmm, i used soy, but only a couple of packets of left over chinese take out, what else does everyone add? JR

16. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I like marinating mine in Jamaican jerk or Portuguese piri-piri sauce.

17. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

I think I've got the same one. NESCO American Harvest Snackmaster. The best price and it works really well.
    From what I read, there are many dehydrators that cost 3X the price and don't even work as well.

The best thing I've made with mine is jerky. I cut strips of steak which I blanched, then marinated in jerky sauce and spices. I estimate it cost at least half what jerky cost in the stores, and mine was much better quality.

18. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

I also added garlic, onion powder, some brown sugar, Worcestershire and Liquid hickory smoke. Really nice flavour!
    check out this recipe.

19. themadplumbarian

Mmmm, that sounds goooood, JR

20. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

I finally settled on the Mini Living Foods Dehydrator. I bought the kit and built it over Christmas. It is awesome. It has a warm air generator (WAG) instead of a fan. It works on the chimney concept. It is all wood, and the warm air rises to the top and goes through the opening of the top board (no more than an inch or two. LOVE it. No fan, very economical electricity wise, and everything I've dried has been great: cherries, apricots, pineapple, apples. I'm going to pick blueberries this week, so I'll freeze some and dry some and eat some as I pick, haha. Haven't tried fish or jerky or chicken yet, but they are on the to do list.

+ a bazillion on the hating to be forced to be green. I hate the term environmentalist as its connotation has turned a bit negative, as in extremism. I believe we should all be conservationists and do what we can/want/are able to do. Lead by example. I also believe in property rights, and if one damages someone else's property, then retribution is due. I believe in the rule of law.