1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone "turn" others to EDC?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by FenixArcher, Mar 20, 2014.

1. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

Anyone else "turn" other peeps to EDC, like family, friends, coworkers, etc.?

Last edited by FenixArcher, Feb 1, 2018
    #1 FenixArcher, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  2. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

About a month ago, my dad and I were talking in his kitchen about water damage from leaks around the dishwasher. He had pulled the washer out already. I pulled the Inova XS out and lit up the space under the counter and he made a clear expression of "Oooooohhhh!!!" and asked to use the light for a minute. He has a little crush on it. Probably going to get him one. It's his birthday today :)

If you don't carry it every day, it's not every day carry.

3. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

I require all the mechanics i work with to have a knife, light, pen, and pocket screwdriver on them at all times...

Not sure if they carry them before or after work...

So not really "turned"...

More like forced!

4. MinistryOfTruth
    • In Omnia Paratus

MinistryOfTruth Uber Prepared

I bought a matching pair of case baby doc slipjoints for the missus and myself and soon after she commandeered my Parrot prytool/caplifter for her keychain. Mission accomplished a little to well.

Cobra 6 Actual and warchild like this.
  5. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I do my best to convert everyone I talk to or know. :) I have passed out about 30 Moras, 15 or 20 SAK Classics/Ramblers, and a half dozen hand me down CRKT's I didn't care for in the last two years. I regularly pass out paracord bracelets and Altoid Tin FAKs/Survival Kits (I know, I know, cliche, but it gets them talking about survival, FAKs, and EDC). Long story short, it's worth a few bucks here and there to get those around me to start carrying stuff with them that one day may save my life! ;)

6. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

No, but I have turned many away. I’ve learned that unsolicited advice is not taken well and you come off as a know it all.

Dedrich, Dubbs, ManVsLawn and 4 others like this.
  7. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

One of my best friends has always carried a razor knife, and a multi (Juice S2) as long as I've known him, but never a decent light. I got him carrying a modern LED light... after a fashion;

After a few years hanging out, working on various things, and using my Fenix L2D(and later my Jetbeam BC10), either myself, or handing it to him every time he went for an incan light... He is now carrying his own LED light. :cool: Took a while, but it finally sunk in how handy a good light source can be.

At first it was just for work, but now he EDCs it. (IIRC his current is a LensLight of some sort... thing is actually brighter than my JR10; was weird the first time the "Wow!" effect was reversed when we worked on stuff. :rolleyes::rofl: )

8. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Every person I have turned towards EDC has been a lady. Go figure. One carries like 3-4 blades on her now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Geary Mitchell
    • In Omnia Paratus

Geary Mitchell Loaded Pockets

I have turned several of my friends onto EDC .. Two of them are now members of this forum.

10. Agent Berry

Agent Berry Loaded Pockets

I introduced members Kendall and Frozen Tony to EDCF. Also another friend who is not a member. Plus several kids.

11. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

I don't know about lights and the other stuff we carry, but most people after being near me for any time at all end up carrying a knife. I actually seek out and buy knives for people I have to interact with that don't have them. #9 Always carry a knife:p

12. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I have gifted a number of individuals, male and female, with highly regarded EDC items. But I have generally found that most people take no comfort or satisfaction in having close at hand, no matter where they are, imminently useful items and tools beyond a cell phone and watch.

Dedrich and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  13. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Now and then. Most notably my roomie who has slowly, but surely, begun to transition to knives and flashlights. :D

Of course, it still makes me nuts when she can't keep track of her gear, but oh well - I'm CDO. (It's like OCD, but in the proper order.)

14. Gallows
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gallows EDC Junkie!!!!!

Got my son involved with edc. I bought him a LM ALX and Spyderco for his b-day a couple months ago. He is already looking for more. Tomorrow he is getting his bit set for the LM, Houdini escape tool and my old 4c maglight.

15. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I wouldn't say I've turned him but Dad now carries a Microstream and a Soled with him at all times... the last time we were at Sportsmans Warehouse
    he actually said "I need another flashlight". :D

Cobra 6 Actual, Roger, Echo2 and 2 others like this.
  16. lethgar

lethgar Loaded Pockets

Coworker asked to borrow my knife and light quite frequently. Ended up having a few discussions and since Christmas he now carries a 1911, Kershaw, and Streamlight :) Amazing how the gospel spreads!

17. Gallows
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gallows EDC Junkie!!!!!

Forgot to post a pic

[​IMG]

18. gpgriz

gpgriz Loaded Pockets

I have one coworker who now carries a small flashlight and a knife. He plans to upgrade and expand as budget allows.

I have a couple other coworkers ask about what I carry in my bag. Atleast they're interested.

19. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Partially my Dad who still uses the Cryo I gave him for work (he's a merchant marine) and my wife who edc's a midnight manager I gave to her almost two years ago. It's cool seeing her randomly use it. It makes me proud lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. NOT-A-FAN

NOT-A-FAN Loaded Pockets

I have really good friend that hangs out with me enough to know i always at least have a knife on me. One day we went fishing, and he needed to cut his tangled up line and asked to borrow my knife, I said "you actually went fishing without a knife?!" he laughed it off. the next day we went fishing again and i brought an extra knife (spyderco tenacious) for him to use. Then he said, " i was actually looking at some knives online last night."
    so i havnt turned him yet, but i know he will buy one. :)
    as for flashlights and multitools, hell i dont even edc all that, unless im working of course.