1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone tried the Ti Arto?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Flint HIlls, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Flint HIlls

Flint HIlls Loaded Pockets

These look great and I've seen a few great reviews on pen blogs, just wondering if any users here have one and would share their thoughts.

2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I just ordered one yesterday. Like you, I like the looks of the pen and didn't find any negative reviews.

I believe there are a few members that have them (pretty sure @rat-7 has one). Hopefully, they'll be along to give us their experience with the Arto.

3. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I backed the Arto on Kickstarter, got my pen before Christmas, and I like it a lot. It feels solid, has good balance, and it's a great length - not too short and not too long. I like a LOT that the cap not only posts on the back, but that there are threads there to hold it securely (although it can be used without the cap being posted if you choose). A capped pen that doesn't post is usually a no-go for me, so I'm glad this one does. What really sets this pen apart is that it can take any refill you throw at it - it's truly amazing! The way that it holds refills is like the chuck of a drill. It works well, and it's so obvious that I can't believe that I or someone else hasn't thought of it long before now. When I got the pen and saw the mechanism for myself, it was a *facepalm* moment!

There's only a couple of negatives that I can think of: #1 - the cap takes several turns to screw on and screw off, which is an annoyance to some, although it doesn't really bother me. It was also a little "gritty" to take the cap on and off when I first got it, but that has smoothed out with use. #2 - because of the mechanism, if the refill is a long one, there is a very small gap between the grip and the pen. OCD people will be bothered, but I'm not. I don't really see it anymore. It's a necessity and a small price to pay for the pen to be able to accept the longer refills.

Other than those two little annoyances, the pen is fantastic and well worth the money, but I must admit that I don't carry the Arto in my pocket every day. I got my Tactile Turn titanium Glider just before the Arto arrived, and I've since received my black Tactile Turn DLC coated titanium Slider, and these two have been my EDC since I got them. I do carry the Arto in my briefcase, and I periodically pull it out at work and use it for the day, and I'm happy with it and happy that I purchased it. I highly recommend the pen, and I can also say that BigIDesign's customer service has won me over as well. It's a great company to do business with!

Hope this helps.

MKLight, Eskerbillion and twin63 like this.
  4. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

I backed the KickStarter. Joe and Chadwick delivered another near flawless campaign, other that serious delays in actual delivery time (pens shipped on time but many people experienced very long delivery times). In terms of custom service they responded very quickly to emails, and seem to address concerns and issues promptly. They are on my watch list and I tend to back all their Kickstarter campaigns.

I am currently using the pen with a Pilot G2 Ultra Fine 0.38mm refill, which is my go to refill. As others have noted, with some refills the clutch mechanism results in a gap between the front (grip) part of the pen and the main body. [Disclaimer: I am a tad OCD] This bothered me at first as it seemed like the 2 parts of the body were not completely screwed together. The front grip has grooves that look similar to this gap and this minimises the visual distraction.

I am very happy to finally get an all metal pen, that can take most refills. One of my pet peeves is that there are many great refills put out by various Japanese companies, but most of the actual pen bodies suck. I hate cheap plastic pens... hate the look, hate the feel, hate the weight. I love the idea of a pen that can be handed down to the next generation. With the Ti-Arto, I can use many/most of those great refills without having to use a crappy plastic pen body.

The pen is well made, with precise machining, no rough spots on the threading, all edges chamfered or rounded. The balance is good, even with the cap posted. I find the pen rather light and would love a much heavier option. The grooves on the grip section provide great grip and I find them comfortable for longer writing sessions. I like that the clutch mechanism allows for adjustment in how much of the refill extends past the pen body (to the limits of the particular refill geometry). I find with some pens the refill barely extends out of the body and this interferes with how I use the pen... plus it looks funny. I also find that I want a refill that extends further out for drawing/sketching, versus if I am just writing. It is a classy looking pen, that would not look out of place in an office setting.

I have been using mine for about a month and really like it.

5. Flint HIlls

Flint HIlls Loaded Pockets

Nusm and bj, thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Nusm, why do you carry the Glider over the Arto? That's the other pen on my radar right now.

6. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

I'm conflicted over the Arto - I love that it takes every refill I can throw at it, but I'm also not a "capped pen guy" most of the time. The Glider was the first pen that I got, and, while I liked it, it was a little long for me. My DLC coated titanium Slider (the shorter of the two) came in a couple of weeks ago, and it's dang near perfect to me. With a cut on the back, it will take the Pilot Juice Blue-Black refill that I love so much, and since I'm the one cutting the length, I can leave a little extra on the back to make the tip extend a little farther. The weight is just right, the black DLC coating is flawless, I've got the bolt working perfect (with just the right amount of tension on the spring so no bolt "wobble"), and the feel in the hand is exactly right.

Understand, I'm not knocking the Arto at all, it's a great pen and worth every cent, and, like I said before, I periodically make it my pen for the day. If you like (or even don't mind) a capped pen, the Arto is absolutely the pen for you. For me, I'm more of a "bolt pen guy," so the Slider may just be the one that I've been searching for all this time. It's a little early in our relationship to declare the Slider my grail, but I'm not sure it's not either - that's how much I love this pen!

7. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

My Arto arrived earlier this afternoon. I can see why there are so many positive reviews - I really like this pen. Fit and finish is nice, it's comfortable to write with, and the clutch mechanism is ingenious. It only took a couple to minutes to get the hang of positioning different refills. It's early, but I see the Arto getting a lot of use.

8. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

Wow, you just got it today? I went back and checked my tracking, and mine was delivered on Wednesday, November 30th, which means I've had mine over three months. That's a crazy long delivery time!

9. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Oh no...I didn't order mine from the KickStarter campaign. I ordered direct from their website Sunday night and had it in hand yesterday. Very fast shipping. I'm afraid to start down the KickStarter path - I'll be broke in no time!