1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone swim with a zulu/nato?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Scrub, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Scrub

Scrub Loaded Pockets

I end up in the pool a bunch and fancied a new strap. How stinky will it get?

2. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

They are washable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tinker likes this.
  3. Tinker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tinker Loaded Pockets

wash mine weekly while in the shower, swimming will be fine.
    [​IMG]

4. ketchupgun

ketchupgun Loaded Pockets

I always swim with mine...I find they get discoloured (salt water and chlorine)...I clean it when it gets stinky in the dishwasher.

5. kdunnett

kdunnett Loaded Pockets

I wore one for about 4 years solid with about 1400 dives completed during that time in the Caribbean ocean. It didn't get nasty enough that I had to take it off for meetings. But now it has a grey look about it rather then the original black which is probably from all the salt water and sun. No amount of washing can clean it as I don't think its faded, but it doesn't stink!

I did wash it occasionaly but wasn't religious about it. Whenever I thought about it, just took off the watch in the shower and gave it a good scrub and let it air dry.

6. Scrub

Scrub Loaded Pockets

Well I guess that does it then! Thanks.

7. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I have worn mine swimming many times, and just make a point of giving it a quick rinse when I get in the shower after. So far no notable ill effects.

8. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I wore a Zulu for quite a while on my old EDC watch, and I wore it everywhere. Pool, lakes and rivers, shower, everywhere. I never worried about it. It's still going strong (even after the watch gave up the water resist ghost).
    I wouldn't worry too much about the strap- just make sure no water gets into your watch.

9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

No issues with getting a Zulu strap wet.

10. Merrib64

Merrib64 Loaded Pockets

I have found that they handle water with no problems. When they get
    wet from sweat I just clean them with dish soap and rinse and they are
    good to go.

11. ElectricSun

ElectricSun Banned

On Zulus water is noooo problem. Where you run into problems in sunlight. They fade a bit more quickly that you would expect.

12. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

Zulus are one of the better straps to have on a dive watch. Easily adjusted (even under water) to compensate for compression on the body that makes a watch looser at depth. Enough adjustment to fit over a wetsuit, easy to clean, one pin breaks and you do not lose the watch to king Neptune ( he already has enough watches, he does not need mine). They do not corrode, easy to slip off and make watch nook and crannies easier to get to for fresh water washdown.

Wash them when they stink, toss them when they fray and are unserviceable, they are cheap to replace. And last but not least...you can thread your wedding band on them for safekeeping during high speed events. Repeat after me.." We don't come home without THE RING."

13. Scrub

Scrub Loaded Pockets

I have a crown and buckle zulu on another watch and I the holes stretch out really easily. Are the Maratac (or another brand?) better about not "bagging" out?

14. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

Maratac seems better than most. Lazer cut holes do not seem to wear or stretch. The lazer punching does not leave irritating burnt nylon against your wrist. Maratac can be had in a "diver length" for wear over dry suits. TAD gear also puts out a premium Zulu band also. The only difference I have noticed is the small etched logo on the buckle.

15. dosei1

dosei1 Loaded Pockets

Swimming is no prob, stink may come from sweat. I would have 2 straps, and change them if it becomes wet or smells.

16. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

Because I actually wear my watch 24/7, no, I don't use Zulu or NATO-style straps because they are malodorous from getting wet. I do not care to dry them out in the sun twice per week to kill the stink.

17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

My Zulu strap never stank. (I'm no stranger to sweat either.)

18. Oaklington
    • In Omnia Paratus

Oaklington Loaded Pockets

Mine started smelling funny and i couldn't get it clean, but that was after wearing for a month straight during an interrail trip.

19. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

I've had smell problems with my NATO, but far and away above ocean, river or pool my sweat's been the culprit. However, a quick scrub with some soap (necessary only every couple months) has never failed to clear the problem away completely. Except for stretching and fraying my band looks practically new. Zero problems with permanent discoloration (then again, I don't get out much, and when I do, there's not much sun round these parts).

20. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I wore my watch so tight that my wrist was a full inch smaller than it's twin (glad I don't do that anymore) on a Maratac zulu and all of the holes are the same size that they were out of the package,