1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone still carry a journal?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by themadplumbarian, Oct 22, 2016.

1. madjoe86

madjoe86 Loaded Pockets

I have a couple. I carry a cheapo hard back journal from Walmart. A rite in the rain pad
    A planner.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge.

2. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

Double-post removed.

Edit: Hmm...now the first post is gone too...guess I lost it somehow.

--flatline

Last edited by flatline, Dec 28, 2016
    #62 flatline, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  3. outbackwack
    • +1 Supporter

outbackwack Loaded Pockets

I used to carry a simple spiral bound but now use my Note 5 for everything. I can take and write on pictures and save everything. Much more convenient for me.

4. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Ahh, a fellow draftsman, I took 7yrs in drafting and blueprint, I had a teacher that wrote with a very unique block like character, at first I tried to kinda copy it but gave up.
    I have a very weird style of writing most is uppercase, maybe like 75% say if I wrote the word style, it would be STyLe,
    As for handwriting, it's dying! I can't tell you the last time I wrote a letter, yet the wife wrote two letters for Xmas as just a little thing to give the boys. But everyone carries fancy phones that do everything, I don't, that's why I started this subject because I was after something to write in while out of the house, in which I did get something for Xmas but my photo thing isn't working, I'd just rather write it down and keep it just in case.. JR

Redneck Bear likes this.
  5. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Not a journal per say, just a small notebook for jotting down miscellaneous bits.
    [​IMG]

Costs nothing, uses the backs of used sheets (recycling), conforms to my left cheek, and Hello Kitty just brightens every one's day.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

313 likes this.
  6. hhanksilva2112
    • +1 Supporter

hhanksilva2112 Loaded Pockets

I carry a waterproof notepad I picked up from my local hardware store, one of those things they set a handful of on the counter to get you to spend an extra few bucks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

7. DRPoolio

DRPoolio Loaded Pockets

I've found in the last year that I am much for efficient when I actually write things down. I've tried too many note taking apps on my phone to remember and none seemed to help me keep my work flow in order. I am out with clients 75% of my day, working in the health insurance business, so I need to be portable and be able to work with fine details.

So...I've put together the following system. I started Bullet Journaling last year and I found it helped me keep my daily, weekly and monthly schedules much more organized. No more forgotten meetings or last minute calendar surprises. I use a Leuchtturm1917 A5 Dotted notebook for my BJ and it's been a huge efficiency tool for me. Secondly, I found that I did not always want to carry that hardbound book with me into client meetings so I picked up a couple packs of Field Notes and I always have a book in my pants pocket.

So now I step into meetings with a traditional full size portfolio and my Field Notes at hand. Any takeaways, notes, todos, follow ups, etc. go straight into the Field Notes. At the end of the day those items get migrated to my BJ and that creates my task list for the end of the day or the next day as necessary.

To my original comment, I've learned that writing things down creates a memory for me. I don't forget things, once I migrate items to my BJ, they are checked off in my Field Notes and they are done. I know it may sound clunky to some and that's cool. For me working in a production environment every month, it has paid huge dividends.

313, Moshe ben David, twin63 and 4 others like this.
  8. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I started a bullet journal in early 2016. I like it. Mine is very simplified though. I don't carry it with me, I keep it at the house. I do carry a Field Notes book, and a regular cheap spiral notebook to write on too. (grocery lists, notes etc...)

DRPoolio, 313 and twin63 like this.
  9. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

Is it any good when left it at home? I know you can make your notes and stuff and then copy it into the journal when back home - but what do you do when you need to consult your journal? For example when you want to plan something with your friends and you don't know which of your weekends is free ... ?
    PS: I don't use journal yet so I don't know ...

10. Sghian

Sghian Empty Pockets

DRPoolio, 313 and kkay like this.
  11. Sghian

Sghian Empty Pockets

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/586aefbc5445f/20170102_172610.jpg?

I used that to improve my handwriting and to teach myself cursive. They have something similar at www.gouletpens.com.

Well worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

12. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I suppose it depends on what you use your journal for.

I have a journal that stays with me during the day that is basically a general purpose scratch pad. If there's something worth keeping, I'll transfer it to someplace more appropriate (the calendar on my phone, for instance).

I have other journals at home devoted to different purposes. They rarely leave my desk.

--flatline

Redneck Bear likes this.
  13. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I dabbled with a bullet journal a couple of times last year. Never quite committed to it. But with this New Year having begun, I'm making a full blown effort. I will be going at it in a bit of a hybrid manner however.

Whilst I will enter appointments and such in the bullet journal (sorry, can't refer to it as BJ and keep a straight face!), I plan to continue to also keep an electronic appointment calendar for actual appointments as well as deadlines that are day/time specific. That will always be with me in my pocket, along with a scratch pad; I lean towards the GTD approach of a small deck of 3 x 5 cards held by a small binder clip. After meetings and/or at end of day, all to be reconciled to allow planning of following day(s) in the bullet journal.

Wish me luck!

L'chaim and Happy New Year to all y'all!

Moshe ben David

14. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I don't need to consult my journal away from the house. If that is necessary, I say I'll get back to you. The bullet journal is a bit large to be carrying around in my purse. The Field Notes is small enough not to be a burden. Besides, if I lost my bullet journal while away from the house, it would be a huge deal. If I lost my Field Notes book, I would be upset, but not a huge loss. I actually have 2-3 Field Notes books kept in a small zip case. Two are usually filled in, and the 3rd is for fresh writing. I can always transfer the needed items to the bigger journal at home, and it will be neater if I do it at home too. I am starting the 2nd year with the bullet journal now. I don't have a lot in there, so that notebook will probably last me 3 years.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  15. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I tried to keep a journal for several years but I just never got the hang of it. I have, however, began using both a pocket calendar and notepad as a backup to my iPhone. They say writing things down exercises the brain and mine needs it:confused:

16. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Besides my iPhone I carry a small journal I made. Well a cover I made for a mini comp book is a better way of putting it. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dubbs, TV09, Moshe ben David and 3 others like this.
  17. Zorgzf1

Zorgzf1 Loaded Pockets

Not really a journal, but I decided to take a Moleskine Professional Notebook for a spin. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

313 and twin63 like this.
  18. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Well I guess I should do an update, my wife bought me a nice little journal for Xmas, nothing fancy just a leather cover that goes over a mini composition book, kinda like MCPOWoller's, but like the old school paper bags over the book, so with pockets on both sides. I kinda knew what it was before I opened it cause of the size and well, its fresh leather and could smell it! I got to fig on how to get pics on here cause my setup is screwed up.

As for this bullet setup goes I don't think I could work with it, it's a neat little setup but not my style, the wife does all the appts and other stuff electronically on her phone thingy, I needed something to more or less just write things down to remember or sketch ideas, I used to print something out every year that you folded which tuned into a neat little setup which I should find and do again that I could keep tucked into one of those pockets.

Oh and I contacted mead who prints those composition book because I found out they make the full size ones not only normal, but graphic, and split page combos of blank and other setups, yet don't do the little ones like that cause I think that would be perfect for what I was looking for but they never wrote me back.. JR

19. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I sent an email to Mead years ago asking for a little composition book with graph paper. Never heard back from them either.

--flatline

20. DRPoolio

DRPoolio Loaded Pockets

Stick with it MBD, it's a great excuse to use those pens and notebooks for something productive. Writing things down clarifies my thoughts and sets the direction for my day by making me much more intentional about what needs to get done. I've also started writing hand written thank you's to my clients every month. I've received a lot of nice comments from many of them. My colleagues think I'm old school but I've been #1 3 years running and they can't compete with my results.

themadplumbarian likes this.