1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone still carry a journal?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by themadplumbarian, Oct 22, 2016.

1. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

What do you mean long hand cursive? That's not even thought in school anymore.. one kid even said it was an old language thought in school long ago, lol.. the wife and I are a little diff, she would rather have everything all in one, me I'd rather have everything, take movies for example, she'd like to have everything stored in whatever electronic thingy hooked up to the tv, me I'd rather have it in DVD or blu ray, cause what happens when just goes poof, all storage just goes? Everything bought just nothing, how do you get your movie back? Same with the kid on the comp with games rather then on PlayStation? At least with my games or movies I can sell or get credit for.. JR

2. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

Having lost a hard drive or two in the past, I've learned the hard way to physically back up my information. I'm 31, so I'm right in the middle of the tech-spoiled generation, but I can't bring myself to take notes on my phone. It just isn't as effective for me, and I'm not the best writer! My handwriting sucks, my hand cramps up because I don't grip the pen correctly, but I still rather look back through a notebook of my handwriting than browse through a cold list of text entries in my phone.

DIlan and themadplumbarian like this.
  3. Rich73

Rich73 Loaded Pockets

I have carried a little back-pocket-sized Filofax (Guildford Extra Slim Pocket Notebook) notebook for years. First thing I learnt in basic training was to always have a notebook and pen. Some of the best advice I've ever had. I carry the Filofax everywhere, it's amazing how often no-one around has a notebook and pen, even at work. A recent development is my 6 year old daughter using it to draw or to practice writing when we're in planes or resturants - the EDC lifestyle is being handed on!

4. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

I use a Baron Fig Confidant as my work bullet journal.

glockguy110, TV09 and DIlan like this.
  5. themadplumbarian

I hear you, I can't leave messages on a phone, heck I don't even carry a phone, that's all on the wife since I have to be along side her 24/7. Heck even when I carried a phone they pretty much just called, had a simple game, and maybe a calculator.. as far as the writing I'm with you on that, mines scrappy I swear I should have been a dr. although the wife says mines better then hers, I don't think so. I did 7yrs in school for blueprint/drafting, so trust me I know how cramped hand feel like! And yeah, it's nice to just look back and go, oh crap I totally forgot about that, I need to go get one! JR

DIlan likes this.
  6. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

Longhand printed not cursive. My hand writing isn't that great and writing cursive would be really bad. Ha!

7. themadplumbarian

My cursive looks like a bird walked in ink, maybe I should have been a dr.. JR

mauiblue likes this.
  8. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

I wrote all the time in high school and college, mostly poetry. When I graduated and got a job it got harder and harder to make the time for it. Now I'm lucky if a write a couplet every couple of years.

Maybe when I retire I'll pick it all back up again...

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk

DIlan and themadplumbarian like this.
  9. themadplumbarian

10. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

My handwriting has always been a weird mix of cursive and block writing and has gotten progressively worse as I get older. Since typing is so much faster, I've lost the patience to actually try and form letters correctly. I hope TEOTWAWKI still has keyboards...

themadplumbarian likes this.
  11. gadgetguy35

I'm just getting more and more mentally invested in carrying my notebook and writing everything down. The more I do it, the more I come to rely on it.

TV09 and DIlan like this.
  12. themadplumbarian

Well age will do that, it's not like you get younger, lol. Especially like these kids who ask if they can have that game they asked for last week and your like huh? So their like, yeah it came out last month and I asked you, but you said ask in a few weeks, I asked again last week but you said huh just like today, so can I? In the mean time your still scratching your head and thinking, when the heck did he ever ask about a game, last week let alone last month? Heck, idk what the heck was for dinner last night? JR

DIlan and 313 like this.
  13. Flashman

Flashman Loaded Pockets

LOL. I always say "if I closed my eyes right now, I wouldn't be able to tell you what colour the shirt I put on this morning is..."

kottskrapa, DIlan, 313 and 1 other person like this.
  14. themadplumbarian

Good one! lol. JR

15. DIlan

DIlan Loaded Pockets

Last day at work I had to write something down fast and had to go through my folder to find a clear paper. That made me realize I need journal in every bag that I carry. You always have to have something to write in just like that. And I noticed that I have to look up for journals with hardcovers since pages get jammed when I mix it with other stuff in my bag.

themadplumbarian likes this.
  16. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Don't worry, I'm sure you can find a 12-step program for that... :bounce:

17. themadplumbarian

I think I found one the wife wants to get it for me for xmas, it's a custom made, but the neat thing is it holds a mini composition book, so refills are cheap and once it's done just toss it in a shoebox and put a new one in.. JR

18. gadgetguy35

Lol! For real though, it's addicting!

19. glockguy110

glockguy110 Loaded Pockets

Do you recommend the baronfig ? I been seeing it around and really like the look of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

And it's a shame people think that way too, in today's society. Handwriting (cursive) is a dying art. After working as a draftsman for many years (before CAD) I pretty much wrote everything in capital letters in my everyday writing. However, lately I've been writing more with cursive just to keep in the habit. Longhand cursive writing is definitely something you have to keep in practice with. I was rusty at first, but I'm getting back into it. I actually write handwritten letters to people (family and friends mostly) also. I think it adds a personal touch you just don't see anymore.