1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

anyone shave with a safety razor?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by jehan60188, May 1, 2010.

1. Chucksw40

Chucksw40 Loaded Pockets

Yep! I just started using a safety razor three months ago. My face feels much better after shaves now.

2. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Loaded Pockets

I used safety razors,a twin-bladed Astor (replaceable blades, just like Mach 3 and others), a Mach 3 (which still have, but it needs new blades) and now I shave with a Gillette Fusion my brother gave me when he started shaving with an electric Phillips.It's the fastest shave with one of those and flawless too.

3. bondi

bondi Loaded Pockets

OK you guys have me thinking about the switch, money would be my key motivator. I hate giving away my hard earned dollars!!

4. csogbk

csogbk Empty Pockets

Tried Walgreens Brand DE blades this morning, not very pleased with them, just a word of warning.

5. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

Errmm.... I hate to rain on your parade but switching to the traditional combo of safety razor, shaving brush and shaving soap / cream can be more costly than you imagined.
    Yes, DE blades are cheaper, and soaps and creams last much longer than canned goo, and can be much cheaper. But if you want to keep it that way you need a bit of discipline.

The thing is: Once you start using traditional soaps and creams you suddenly have a world of possibilities. If you use canned foam you have perhaps half a dozen brands wich are esstentially the same and smell like cheap shower gel. Soaps and creams come in so many varieties that you can try out new stuff for the rest of your life. And before you know it your shaving stuff takes up more space in the bathroom than all of your significant others toiletries together.
    Oky, perhaps I exaggerated a bit, but wet shaving can be like EDC... ;-)
    (If you don't believe me, check out this thread on Badger and Blade: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=81088)

That being said: I can only recommend using a safety razor and traditional shaving techniques, it is definitely a better start for the day than using canned goo and a over-expensive cartridge razor.

6. Wstan

Wstan Loaded Pockets

1st it feels better on the face; 2nd when you get used to it, the shave will be closer than with any 4 or 5 blade/ canned foam combo; 3rd, with the array of sents available, you can customize to match your cologne choice or forgo cologne all together; 5th you can definitely spend major $ with shaving as a hobby ( I have a 1962 Gelette from the year I was born, my son will inherit that and a razor made during the year of his birth); 6th by adding some additional steps e.g., working the lather in a ridged bowl, applying an astringent and then an aftershave balm you produce a manly yet modern ritual that can give you a few precious minutes to center yourself for the day's challenge--you will look forward to shaving 7th you can actually get off quite cheaply if you feel compelled to do so--a decent Merkur, a low end badger brush, 50 Israeli Persona blades, a good soap (google mamma bear, I recommend the Gentleman's Lemon), witch hazel or bay rum (I tend to prefer witch hazel as it has less alcohol sting) and some Nivea after shave balm (a great bargain and the only really useful stuff in that line) and an alum stick (cuts are inevitable). All this costs less than a good electric razor or a few weeks of multiblade refills at outrageous prices for poor quality edges arrayed according to specious science.

If you're a member of the Axe bodyspray generation, just slap yourself really hard. No, harder than than that--smack the tilted Ed Hardy cap right off your head. No one is going to ask where your wispy chinstrap of a beard went and a better class of females will give you second or third looks. Relax, shave and pull up your freakin' pants--no one cares that you wear Hilfiger underwear.

7. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

If you go DE, you won't be giving too much away. You can even skip the brush, and just go with some of the shave 'lotions' that are out there.

:lolhammer:

8. Vae-Victus

Vae-Victus Empty Pockets

Yes, I have been shaving with a safety razor for a while now, a little over a year actually....I like it a lot better than with the disposable type razors. The blades are much cheaper and I just generally like it better. I am also kinda curious about trying it with a straight razor, but don't have the money now to buy a decent one like a Dovo

9. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

can't seem to find shaving oil anywhere (figure it'd be better for travel purposes, as you only need a drop or two, right?)
    any suggestions?

10. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

Personally, I really like the CO Bigelow pre shave oil at Bath and Body Works. The art of shaving stuff is pretty good, too, but more expensive.