1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone replaced their SAK scales?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by 50ft-trad, Jan 9, 2011.

1. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

What did you use? How did it work out for you?

I dropped my Silvertech SAK the other day and cracked the scales, a piece of which broke off and is now lost forever. I'm thinking about replacing the scales, and of course the easy option is just get hold of some replacement snap on plastic scales. The slightly more ambitious route is to go for the hardwood or G10 option, but this could be tricky with the tweezers & toothpick. I am very tempted to go for an exotic burl or black G10, but am a little concerned about gluing the scales on in case of future damage.

2. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

3. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

:iagree: no special tools needed to replace with stock scales, just a bit of care

4. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

Excellent, thanks nuphoria. I didn't know there was anyone this side of the pond selling Vic scales. I'll definately give him a try.

I've no qualms about switching official scales as they just snap on and off, but I'm still tempted to try the G10 or exotic wood scales. With these though, the materials you get are only roughly SAK shaped, which means you have to drill all the clearance holes, carve out the reliefs for the rear tools and the "in handle" pick & nips, shape to the body and then glue (preferably expoxy) them on. If you damage an expoxied on scale though ... it's gonna get tricky :-D

I'll defo grab some official scales for the time being though - thanks again for the supplier link

5. Highvalleyranch

Highvalleyranch Loaded Pockets

Come on, man, be brave. That's what life is about!
    Really it's not that hard, just take your time. Here some pics of the stag scales I made for one of mine.
    Make a template out of paper over your stripped SAK for the hole positions and use a dremel to "drill" the holes. Use a dremel saw head on edge to cut the grooves for the pen, toothpick and tweezers, just being careful not to take too much out at on time. Use a little square rasp for cleaning up the ends for the toothpick, etc.
    You can use a disk sander to think out the scales or even use sandpaper by hand. Then put epoxy over the scale rivets holes, place the new home made scales on and that's all there is to it.
    You will be able to easily remove them if you need, so don't worry too much that they will be glued on forever.
    [​IMG]

6. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

You're welcome for the links - he's a top bloke and also very helpful :)

As for using other materials, it's well worth the tinkering and most satisfying when you can proclaim that you made it yourself! Here's one I modded a while back. It's a totally new toolset too which I wanted for whittling etc. The scales are cocobolo and the dot glows in the dark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

That looks excellent nuphoria, made me all the more interested in making my own scales. I do like the chisel mod, kind of heading into the flexcut Carving Jack realm, but with a saw. Splendid! I think I'll grab some official ones for now, and try the wooden scale making out on the lesser carried Vic Tourist before making a hash of the Deluxe Tinker.

Highvalleyranch, thanks for the kick up the proverbial. You're right - I just need to go for it ... but I'll play around with a different knife first I think. I'd (foolishly) not even thought about chasing out the grooves with a dremel - good call! All I'd considered was palm carving tools.

Time to go collar my joiner friend ... I'm sure he said he had a few offcuts of black walnut tucked away ... HMMMM ....!

Thanks folks

8. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

I've had a couple of rehandled SAKs and one thing I would recommend is to take the time to profile the edges of the scales. Square sided scales feel horrible to me (like those in Nooph's post above... no offence mate ;D). These are the best ones I've come across, yew scales with about the same profile as standard;

[​IMG]
    Work EDC by yellowhammer_01, on Flickr

To my eternal shame I can't remember who made them for me, someone on BB. I can probably trawl through and find out though, if pushed.

9. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

They're gorgeous Ian. :drool: That's a lot of character (knots etc) on a 91mm scale.

Yeah, I'd definitely be looking for a contoured scale, rather than just slab sided. I suppose the easiest way to achieve something fairly uniform would be to lay some emery in a section of gutter pipe or something similar, and use that as a guide. Also gives more thickness for the removable goodies without weakening the scale. Don't bother trawling through BB mate, I'd prefer them to be self-made if I go down this route.

Out of interest did either of you "seal" the underside of the scales?

10. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

11. yellowhammer

Not that I know of (matey fitted the scales) but I'd think it was a good idea as long as it doesn't interfere with the glue. I've actually got a couple of sets of blanks here, I think they're cocobolo and a rather plain yew (although I could be wrong). PM me your address and I'll whack a set in the post. I'll let Nuphoria have the other set if she wants them, as penance for dissing her ugly SAK. :laugh:

12. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Why I oughta.....

I'll have you know those scales got rounded off more after that photo shoot - square indeed!

13. alan85

alan85 Loaded Pockets

These new scales look awesome. I definitely want to make my own attempt at new scales for my One-Handed Trekker now. Thanks for the pics.

14. yellowhammer

Will I redeem myself if I say I really like the knife itself? Do you think you could replace the small blade with a pair of scissors?

Bung me your address again and I'll send you a pair of scales if you fancy them. The light ones I've got might not be yew, I've a feeling they might be beech now.

15. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

That's very generous of you Sir, thank you. PM on it's way.

I've been thinking about the seal aspect, and think I might try a full saturation in universal wood treatment. It does darken the grain a bit, but all that would be needed then is a dab of wax for quite a resilient scale

Thanks again