1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone reads Electronically ?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Millman55, May 4, 2013.

1. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

One more good thing about e-Readers, my wife doesn't yell at me.

I have a habit of flicking the corner of the page when I'm reading a real book, I do it every few seconds when I'm reading down the right page.
    It really irritates her, and I don't do it on the kindle, as there is no page to flick

2. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

Kindle touch.

3. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

after the last price reduction, i went for a kindle for 49€ directly from amazon. i wonder wether i´ll like it, i plan to take it with me on journeys, when space is valuable & i want lots of nice books with me.

sungame and jeepsrjason like this.
  4. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Thats the main reason i got one, i got a bargain, and i can have the book im reading now, plus the rest of the series without having to lug a massive bag of books

5. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

Ya can't beat a Kindle. I'm really jonesing for the new paper white version.

6. PPCApache
    • In Omnia Paratus

PPCApache Banned

I have been reading eBooks on my mobile devices for years, I have stayed away from ink type eBook readers purely due to the fact I want my device to do more - Internet, Camera, Games and Apps and don't want to have to take more than three devices with me all the time. hence I started out with my Note 1, then went to my Note 2 and now my Note 3 & Note 8, I even bought my Wife the Samsung Tab 3 8.0 so she could read her Amazon eBooks, also the Note 8 and Tab 3 8.0 have reading mode which softens the lighting to a soft golden hue, rather than the brightness.

The file format I use is EPUB and I usecalibre - E-book management to convert Word Doc, PDF, (Microsoft) Lit, to ePub format with all Meta data, including Book Cover.

Here is a pic of my Note 8, i use Aldiko Premium. Over 200 books.

[​IMG]

Last edited by PPCApache, Oct 19, 2013
    Firedrow and bzimmerly like this.
  7. z0mbiSl4y3r

z0mbiSl4y3r Loaded Pockets

I have a calibre eLibrary with over 8000 books in it. I format ebooks for a few authors and publishers and such, and do lots of promo work for them.

joelbnyc, Firedrow and bzimmerly like this.
  8. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

Calibre is brilliant.

I'm willing to carry an extra device as it was only e-ink/paper that coaxed me away from carrying real books. The reading can be quite good on some phones and tablets, but not quite as good in my opinion. I feel too far removed from books when reading from a phone.

9. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Loaded Pockets

Overmax tablet and sometimes from a Nokia Lumia 520. I still read regular books too.

10. atilano

atilano Loaded Pockets

I'm a voracious reader. I have a BN Nook, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini, and an iPhone 5. I use them all. I don't use the nook much since getting the Kindle.

I've tried calibre but have not had much success with it. Although it runs on a Mac, it doesn't perform like a typical Mac app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

11. cyberhh

cyberhh Loaded Pockets

I love my iPad, but most of my reading is done on my kindle paperwhite. Best kindle so far. Very responsive, back lit. Love the cloud sync.

12. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Loaded Pockets

I use the ipad mini for reading books- a lot. I don't want to hijack the thread, but do any ipad mini owners also have a kindle? If so, what's your positives/negatives?

13. Firedrow

Firedrow Loaded Pockets

I use Aldiko on my Nexus 7 to read and Calibre portable in my Dropbox to organize books.

14. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

My mom has a full sized iPad and is looking at getting a nook or kindle for reading. While the mini would be more manageable than her full size, she wants something lightweight for extended reading. It also doesn't hurt that eink is much easier on your eyes than staring into the brightly lit abyss of an LCD. The "charge it once a month" thing is also a huge benefit.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

15. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I've never liked reading anything longer than a few pages on LCD displays, be it phones, PCs or tablets. E-ink based e-readers, on the other hand, are great!

I won a Sony PRS 505 back in 2009, and used the first international Kindle in my previous job. My current reader is the Kindle Paperwhite I bought for my book tour. I don't really like Amazon's business model, but Calibre makes it a bit more bearable, and there is no denying they have the best hardware.

jeepsrjason likes this.
  16. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I have both. I don't think it's worth having both unless you are a really avid reader. I use either the Kindle Paperwhite or the iPad Mini on my daily commute as well as when I'm traveling.

In my experience although the Kindle experience is indeed very good I don't really have room for two of these devices in my life. And in that case, the iPad wins. The iPad is pretty good at reading and great at everything else, whereas the Kindle is only great at reading. Interestingly enough they are about the size and weight.

I find myself playing games on my iPad as well as reading, so the iPad serves me better. More importantly, I can read news and catch up on my RSS feeds when I am at home. However, if I wanted to spend my daily commute purely reading the Kindle would win by a large margin.

The one other thing is, when I go hiking and camping I usually refrain from taking the iPad with me, for no other reason than to be away from electronics. But the Kindle usually gets an exception, since it is pretty much like carrying a book but less thick and more convenient. I don't buy paper books any more.

17. ScottH

ScottH BST/Marketplace ban

I just bought a Nexus 7 the other week. I am gonna start reading books from it since it seems more convenient.

18. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Loaded Pockets

I checked out the "e-ink" on a kindle and agree it, it looks great for reading. However, the edc minimalist in me wont allow for ANOTHER device to do the same task, when laptop, ipad and iphone can do the same thing. Ive tried using the same logic with knives, but that doesn't work- i keep "needing" another one :)

19. Martin Labak

Martin Labak Loaded Pockets

I put a crapload of pdf ebooks on my ASUS tablet I find it convenient as you're carrying a small library in your pack. Sometimes I put 7.5' quadrangles on it when I go on shorter trips.

20. Alaarx

Alaarx Loaded Pockets

I spend heaps of time travelling away from power sources and find my Kindle invaluable.

sungame and bzimmerly like this.