1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone reads Electronically ?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Millman55, May 4, 2013.

1. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I have manuals, and other reference material I need on my iPad.

And I have a Kindle for books
    For actually reading, I prefer the kindle's screen, it's like reading a real book, but smaller, lighter and easier to carry around.

2. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

On the Kindle, the page flashes before the next one appears if you have "Page Refresh" set to "On" in the Reading Options section of the Settings. If it is set to "OFF," the page contents does more of a "morph" as you page through your book/document. It's the difference between the E-Ink update being done at the page or character level.

That said, EReaders are currently on their 3rd or 4th generation and are loads better than the earlier iterations. There are still glaring feature omissions (regardless of whose reader is being discussed), where the the digital reading experience is eclipsed by "features" that we take for granted with physical reading media.

ATB,
    Sam

3. switchblade906

switchblade906 Loaded Pockets

Well if they could make it work more like an iPad where the page just "folds over" but with a matte finish for outside then I would be more inclined to try it again.

I think I will always seem to like real pages more then electronic ones.

4. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

One area where I will always prefer physical books over electronic readers is for technical/reference documents where you find yourself looking at 2 or more pages at a time and referring back and forth to multiple locations in the reading material. I am not aware of any eReaders that support a split screen interface and at 7" to 10", that's not going to be fruitful an time in the near future.

eReaders are also pretty pathetic at skimming the large libraries of books. There is no current experience/paradigm that emulates your ability to quickly rummage through multiple books on a physical library shelf where you are provided with anything more than the book title. It wouldn't be that hard to accomplish, but I don't think eReader developers are looking at all the "features" the left behind when converting from analog to digital.

ATB,
    Sam

RoadWizard likes this.
  5. Lannister
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lannister Loaded Pockets

I use an iPad with Zinio for magazines and Documents (readdle) to store anything .pdf

6. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

TarHeelBrit Loaded Pockets

I have a Coby 8127 which does double duty as a websurfer and e-book reader. I like the ability to turn the screen brightness down if I want to read in bed it doesn't bother my wife like a table lamp would.

7. K1CKtheCHICKEN

K1CKtheCHICKEN Loaded Pockets

I read on the ipad and iphone. I prefer having them synched together so if I read one night on the ipad, the next day I can read on my phone when I have down time, and it is all on the same page.

8. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Rooted Nook Color tablet which I won the tablet at the office Christmas party with the Kindle app installed. I buy books from both B&N and Amazon.

9. bull_paqqy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

bull_paqqy EDC Junkie!!!!!

yep, kindle app on my galaxy tab. I can't see my buying anymore paper books.

10. LoneArcher

LoneArcher Loaded Pockets

Update on the Kindle Fire HD: School started back this week, which means waiting in the truck to pick up the kids. The first day of school I took my Fire along to read while I was waiting. I wasn't too sure about being able to read in the truck, full sun and all, since the screens of other devices I've used (iphone 4, Sonyericsson Xperia, Sony PSP) turned out to be near impossible to see under those conditions. However, I was completely amazed by the screen on the Kindle Fire. I could easily read the screen with the sun shining directly on it, while wearing polarized sunglasses. All of which tells me two things: I'm going to enjoy waiting in line to pick up the kids this year, and I'm going to spend too much on ebooks.

11. snowkiwi
    • In Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

+1 here. Its a tactile thing. However recently I found I only have a few minutes here and there to read - I always have my iphone on me - so Im currently reading fiction in ibooks -small screen but opens instantly where you last left it - not too bad experience considering.

12. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I agree - i like the feel of turning pages.
    Most of the books i read are fairly heavy, and my hands start to ache after holding them for a while (1hr plus)
    The kindle is much lighter, and i can read for a long time without issues (3-4hrs)

LoneArcher likes this.
  13. Victor Domingos

Victor Domingos Empty Pockets

I read on an iPhone using both kindle and iBooks apps. Since I started using the iPhone for books, I rarely read a paper book to the end. Ebooks are so much more convenient: they're always there in your pocket with no additional weight, you can adjust font size, you don't need to keep light on when reading at night...

I also have published a few books and now I have migrated completely to digital. I am not publishing in paper anymore. Almost everyone has an ebook capable device nowadays.

At home we also have a kobo, but it doesn't get a lot of use. If I could, I would use an iPad and the iPhone for my readings. E-ink is fine, but an iPad/iPhone is way more versatile.

14. Rockwell Torrey

Rockwell Torrey Loaded Pockets

I go Kindle. Match my wife's. Long battery life. My library is over 1000 all free DL. I like it better than paper. I can pick my own font size (old eyes).

Strange thought of the week: A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. I guess that makes me just a giant Peter.

15. bzimmerly

bzimmerly Loaded Pockets

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 running Kindle for Android, Nook for Android, and Aldiko. :) (Plus a library on SD that spans over 500 books. Yes, since retiring I have become a fanatical reader.)

The SGN2 is slightly smaller than a paperback book, easy to hold with the Otterbox Defender covering it, and has enough screen "real estate" to make reading a pleasure. (If only it had a keyboard like the Motorola Charm did, sigh.)

16. RVER

RVER Loaded Pockets

I use my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 for all of my reading. And all of my other needs: music, camera, email, text, news, note book, shopping, web. And occasionally as a phone. Truely a "phablet". I too have the Otter Box Defender case for it but carry it in my cargo pants. :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

bzimmerly likes this.
  17. Amator

Amator Loaded Pockets

I also use a Galaxy Note II using the Kindle app for most of my reading.

bzimmerly likes this.
  18. moxy

moxy Loaded Pockets

I use my Nexus 7 and my android phone for some reason I've never liked using my iphone (work phone) to read. I used my basic kindle and loved it... then I dropped a fully loaded steel ak mag on it - no more kindle for me. I will be getting another one though. They are so light weight it's fantastic to read with.

19. z0mbiSl4y3r

z0mbiSl4y3r Loaded Pockets

I have a Kobo, ASUS Transformer TF300, and my Android phone. I read electronically exclusively as it's cheaper than paper books, I can get them instantly online instead of driving an hour to the book store, and there are more choices "in stock". There are more great self pubbed and indie writers in ebook format as well. I format ebooks for horror writers on the side, so I'm pretty imbedded in the venture.

20. Americanozzy

Americanozzy Loaded Pockets

I own a galaxy s3 and a nexus 10. My wife also has an s3 and a ipad. Awesome devices, but for reading we both prefer our kindles. Just upgraded from the kindle3 to the paperwhite version. While we both love our ereaders, we still appreciate physical books and love browsing book stores.