1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone reads Electronically ?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Millman55, May 4, 2013.

1. GRH

GRH Loaded Pockets

I love to read with my Kobo. Nice simple interface. Almost idiot-proof.

2. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I use Aldiko to read on the Nexus 7. Free and VERY good.

3. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I use a basic Kindle. I resisted for a while believing nothing could replace a 'real' book, but I was comfortable with it almost immediately. I will still be keeping my favourite 'real' books even though they are all now on the Kindle. :)

4. Millman55

Millman55 Loaded Pockets

Can anyone post some pictures of how pic heavy technical texts appear on a tablet such as nexus or Fire ?

5. MedicInTraining
    • In Omnia Paratus

MedicInTraining Loaded Pockets

I've got a Kobo Touch and I absolutely adore it! I've got it in a bulky leather case (definitely need to upgrade that somehow) but it has served me well for over six months and in China and the US. The one thing I hate is how quickly the battery dies when it's left on Standby but it's still amazing!

6. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Loaded Pockets

I read on my iPhone and iPad almost exclusively. Many free books on amazon for the kindle app, I think my wife and i are over 1000 books now.

JustinJ and ProjeKtWEREWOLF like this.
  7. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

Do you have either of these? The screen is good, but quite small TBH......if you're using a LOT of technical/complex stuff, then you should look into a larger screen tablet (10+ inches) as the screen gets pretty cluttered unless you're zoomed in.

8. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

I have a Kindle Touch, but I plan to upgrade to a Kindle Fire HD
    soon

9. uzmati

uzmati Loaded Pockets

Coming from 2 different versions of the iPad, I was really unimpressed by the Kindle Fire, both sizes. The font rendering was really hard on my eyes for some reason. Other than that I had fun with them.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  10. forestgrump
    • In Omnia Paratus

forestgrump Loaded Pockets

Kindle paperwhite. SO has a kindle fire HD and apart from being able to ready in the dark, I'd rather use mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

Rooted Kindle Fire running Jellybean is OK compared to the factory version, but is a little underpowered. You can get a Nexus or Galaxy Tab for similar £££s without it being an Amazon storefront. Its aimed at the less tech savvy consumers of media perhaps?

12. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

For me it's the e-paper/e-ink that make the Kindle a winner. If my introduction to Kindles had been a Fire, I'd have got rid long ago.

13. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I use a Kindle app for my smartphone. I have a bunch of books on it and I tend to read a little when I'm stuck away from home with nothing to do. I particularly enjoy reading from the complete works of HP Lovecraft. There's a lot of small, bite-sized stories in there that I can finish in one or two sittings.

JustinJ likes this.
  14. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I have the complete HP Lovecraft too, on both Kindle and phone.

Fucifino likes this.
  15. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I read extensively on my phone. Some Barnes and Noble books, quite a few epub formated books as well. I use the Cool Reader app for android for the epub books.

I'm Moobile, Baby!!!

16. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I mostly use Aldiko or the Nook software but I've been trying Cool Reader and Moon+ The latter two look better, but they don't work quite as well for my as Aldiko does.

17. grids7

grids7 Loaded Pockets

Using Kindle app on Acer Iconia A-100 7" tablet. I find 7" is a pretty good form factor for reading, if you're used to reading paperbacks. I can't compare to more recent e-readers, but the Kindle e-readers I have looked at (non-Fire), made me a bit ill looking at that page-flash on page turns.

18. uzmati

uzmati Loaded Pockets

The other thing I really love about my Kindle Paperwhite is the always on, free Internet connection. This version of the Kindle gimps the access a little bit, but being able to bring up Wikipedia articles anywhere makes it feel that much more like my Hitchhikers Guide.

jeepsrjason and Sarky like this.
  19. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

I received a Kindle Paperwhite 3G in January as a gift and love it. The text and screen are easy on the eyes and the software and format of books, newspaper, etc generally work very well. The e-reader works better than a tablet for me because 1) the 3G on the kindle allows me to download the newspaper every morning as I ride public transportation; and 2) the smaller size and lighter weight of the e-reader allow me to carry the device in my bag on my commute without undue burden. The lack of eye strain from using the e-ink display is another major advantage for me, as I use my device to read books, magazines and newspapers. The backlight is very helpful in subway tunnels, outdoors, and dimly-lit interiors.

One disadvantage of the e-reader in reading publications with a lot of illustrations is the lack of color, but the photo resolution is not bad in the most recent kindle models, IMO. I'm sure a kindle model will soon be available with a color screen and a photo-friendly format.

20. medved

medved Loaded Pockets

I have an old Rocket ebook from 1998. It's still working and I use it almost every day.
    I also have Kindles and Nexus 10 and read books on them.