1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone reads Electronically ?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Millman55, May 4, 2013.

1. Millman55

Millman55 Loaded Pockets

Hey there... So I was wondering, those of you who like to buy and read books and pdf's in E formats, do you prefer Tablets or E-inks ?

I have a sony reader, and its great for a regular novel. But if It's a reference book that requires a lot of page skipping it's hell. Menus are slow and all...

On a Pc i just use the mouse and scroll down ultra fast. Is the experience better on one of those nexus tablets ? or is it the same ol'. thanks !

2. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have had the first gen 7" Galaxy tab for over two years now & it has become pretty much the only way I read books these days, so obviously it works very well for me. I'm carrying a bag less every time I travel but have a 1000 times more reading material plus movies, tv-shows and magazines too, not to mention a way of staying in contact with everyone via email & send them pictures I just took or the means to look up stuff on the internet while I go along, & if needed the darned thing even gives me directions, what's not to love? :)

3. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a nook. One of the first ones. And my wife has a nook color. And I do a lot of reading on my smart phone. They are all great for what they are.
    Eink screens are best for reading novels, our for reading for hours at a time. The battery life is almost unbelievable and you can read in even the brightest sun.
    My wife's nook color isn't as easy on the eyes. But it has some browser capabilities, and since it's a color screen it can do a lot of different media. Magazines, movies, etc. battery life isn't a good, and the response time isn't as good as a good smart phone or tablet, but way better then eink. Personally, if you decide you want a tablet reader and not eink I recommend getting the best tablet you can afford and installing either the kindle or nook apps (our even both). You will likely end up with a way more functional unit for a better price.

Edit. I forgot about the smart phone. I have a Samsung stratosphere. It is reasonably fast and capable as a browser and reader, but the screen is a little small. I would have loved to get the biggest one that is still a phone (the tab I think?) but I couldn't afford it at the time. Many people would be annoyed at the bull and size but it wouldn't bother me.

Darth_Firebolt likes this.
  4. uzmati

uzmati Loaded Pockets

I love my Kindle Paperwhite. I was an early adopter of the Kindle platform, I've owned the original Kindle, a Kindle keyboard and now the Paperwhite. It's by far my favorite of the bunch.

I tend to read...a lot. By a lot I mean...a lot. The Kindle has been a true, boon companion. I take it everywhere at all times.

I like the the platform has evolved to support my phone and other devices as well. Whispersync keeps everything on the same page.

I like the selection of Amazon, and I have a list of free books that I'm plowing through.

As far as reading a lot, I prefer the e-ink technology over an LCD screen. I used to read quite a bit on my iPad, and it didn't bother me, but the e-ink of the Kindle is just more relaxed.

5. braswes

braswes Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of old Sony Readers (500 / 505), a Nook Color, iPad, Kindle Fire HD 8.9. To me, the most important thing isn't the hardware I use, it's that I can use Calibre software to manage my ebook library and all my different devices. Calibre is probably one of the most impressive pieces of free software I have ever used, and I give a lot of props to Kovid Goyal, the creator.

Fucifino and uzmati like this.
  6. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

I use various bits of software on my phone and tablet to read quite a bit.

7. Millman55

Millman55 Loaded Pockets

Interesting. To those with the kindles and nooks, do you ever read some technical PdF's on it ? or just straight story texts page to page ?

Can the Paperwhite handle a 600 page physics textbook with nice and fast chapter switches ?

Re calibre, can it create a PDF with chapter links, to those files that the reader itself cannot automatically divide to chapters ?
    That would kill the need for a tablet for me if it could do that.

8. uzmati

uzmati Loaded Pockets

Interesting that you should mention physics text. Until recently, that was the majority of reading on my Kindle. Handles it like a champ. The iPad works a tad better for PDFs IMO.

9. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I have a BeBook mini. Had it for years. No wifi, 3g, anything. Just ebooks and and sd card reader. Love the thing. Very easy on the eyes, can read any format I throw at/in it and the battery lasts forever. And cause of the small format I can carry it in the back pocket of my Maxped EDC Organiser.

10. doktorziplok

doktorziplok Loaded Pockets

ipad for me. I get access to the kindle library as well as apple's, plus PDF* and other formats (including comics and graphic novels). the additional capabilities for browsing, movies, music and apps made it a no-brainier in my opinion.

*reading PDFs native, additional apps allow for annotations!

11. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I have a Kindle 3G (keyboard) and a Google Nexus 7.
    The nexus is excellent for PDFs where the kindle sucks at them but is more comfortable to read for extended periods.
    I also read a LOT of comics (.cbr format) on the Nexus using Perfect Viewer. I love the nexus 7, but I'd upgrade to a 10.9" tab in a heartbeat just for better comics!!!
    I still buy a lot of new and used paper books also.

12. braswes

braswes Loaded Pockets

Calibre has a high degree of flexibility to do chapter detection and table of content creation for any of the formats it can output (epub, pdf, mobi, azw, lrf, lit, etc). However, it comes at the price of complexity - like you need to specify rules for chapter detection using XPath expressions.

If you don't understand this => //*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']
    then doing custom chapter detection may not be for you.

That said, the built in chapter detection and TOC creation has always worked perfectly fine for me and there is a wizard for creating the chapter rules.

13. valhalla

valhalla Loaded Pockets

I use Aldiko on my S3 these days. I use Calibre to convert any of my old .mobi files or other various formats to epub. I find the ability to keep my library in my phone very cool. I've been reading ebooks since old school Palm Pilot days. While I built a 700 book library in my basement and consider it one of my favorite places in the world I could never not read electronically again. There's something to be said for sitting in a grocery store parking lot waiting for my wife and reading a Rafael Sabatini historical fiction novel, sipping on a Mt Dew, digging on an E Cig, and not giving a :censored: about anything for a few minutes...It's the small things, Baby!

bzimmerly and xbanker like this.
  14. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I have a kindle paperwhite as well as a nexus 7. I do most of my novel/text heavy reading via kindle. I find the eink display doesn't cause eye fatigue to the degree that the backlit LCD on the nexus does... I can read for hours on it, and the battery life is measured in weeks/months. That said, my nexus gets tons of use a well. Works great for PDFs, though PDFs that are predominantly text work fine on the kindle as well. Another big fan of calibre here. Great way to manage the books I have acquired over the years, and it's pretty easy to get everything to play nice together.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

15. MTFire

MTFire Loaded Pockets

Apple IPad using the Kindle app.

16. yakuzaboss

yakuzaboss Loaded Pockets

I have a Sony PRS650 and have been reading on it for over two years now. Love it. Easy on my eyes and very portable, as I EDC it in my bag everyday.

17. Uprightman

Uprightman Loaded Pockets

I tote around a kindle fire, and I love it to pieces.

18. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

+1 for Kindle! Freaking love it! Goes just about everywhere with me! :D It's a Kindle keyboard 3G+wifi... I've been lusting after the paperwhite one though...

19. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

Pic found... ish...
    [​IMG]

20. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt Loaded Pockets

Nexus 7 and nook simple touch here. Books are on the nook, but automotive manuals and pic heavy textbooks are on the N7.