1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone practice handwriting?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by 313, Feb 4, 2016.

1. 313

313 Uber Prepared

It's been about 20 years since I last wrote a lengthier essay by hand, and since then it's just been typing on a keyboard or a quick note here and there. My handwriting was never good but now I realize it's gone to crap. I need to practice.

So, I guess it's just repetition on a slow pace ad nauseaum. I got another notebook to just scribble on and pick some random text to copy. Need to find a comfortable position as I don't want to hurt myself going tense.

Anyone practice writing on a regular basis? Can it actually be improved or even relearned on an older age?

Share your tips, please.

M

2. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Good question. I know I have not written in script in decades..
    For print I suppose a nice pen and 1 minute on each letter ...

alces likes this.
  3. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

Subbed. I write like a 3 Y/O with a crayon.

jankdc, Rizzle O and alces like this.
  4. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

When i was in art school and studied architecture I did alot of handwriting practice. It was very usefull to be able to do nice handwriting on sketches and hand drawings, in the years after it has improoved my hadwriting alot, i can write almost 2 times faster than i did before and it looks alot nicer, so practicing slow and steady is highly recomended.
    [​IMG]

WillAdams, Ruru, sungame and 5 others like this.
  5. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

It's like the old saying about how you get to the concert hall - you practice. Obviously it's no longer taught in schools but if you'd like books on it they shouldn't be hard to find new or used and they're cheap.

Sent by throwing some gizmo as hard as I can.

WillAdams, thekapow and 313 like this.
  6. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I turn it into a Zen mindfulness practice. I have a .99 spiral bound notebook and just start journaling. What happened today, what I thought about, my hopes, fears, and so on.

It helps me clear my head, but by focusing on the pen and the writing strokes, it helps me unwind as well.

surefire7, shadowolf713 and alces like this.
  7. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

I'm a college writing instructor and end up doing a lot of handwriting when grading/responding to student work. Unfortunately, I think my handwriting gets worse and worse. To be fair, though, my handwriting is more utilitarian than anything.

8. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

Kapow, I learn and incorporate script in to my handwriting through coping it, usually quotes from *blergh* instagram. Would you mind showing us [me] some close ups of some casual non-personal writing? Your hand looks beautiful and I'd love to learn some of it.

Edit: also kudos on the philips citiscapes. I enjoyed their signature but the pair I had were unbalanced due to the in-line mic/volume. 3/4 volume it was a sweet sound, anything else and left cup was dominant in volume and bass. /offtopic

9. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I write a page or two in a journal every night after the kids go to bed. Sometimes I have something to write about, other times I simply write about the pencil/pen/whatever I'm using to write or the paper I'm writing on. It doesn't matter, really. My handwriting has gotten significantly more consistent since I've started this practice, but it's not and never will be beautiful.

alces and tmedina like this.
  10. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I've always had lousy handwriting, that's why I learned to type on a manual typewriter in the 7th grade.

You should probably look for some books on the Palmer Method.

Ataki and alces like this.
  11. Rizzle O

Rizzle O Loaded Pockets

Me too lol.

Sent from my HTC Desire 625 using Tapatalk

12. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I worked through a book on cursive a couple years ago. I didn't adopt everything in it, but I did adjust a couple of my letters.

When I get home, I'll find the book and post the name in this thread.

alces likes this.
  13. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

Are you making any differentiation between printing and cursive? It's my understanding that the schools are abandoning teaching cursive writing to kids! We just keep chipping away education. :(

14. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Yeah, no more cursive in Finnish schools since last year I think. Shame, really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I believe the consensus is that there isn't much of a need for learning cursive any more. Anything "serious" in one's life is likely going to be typed (printed) and most people are going to send a text or email to communicate with others. You don't need to learn cursive to write a grocery list or jot a few words on a birthday card.

16. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

I know the practicality of the cursive issue, mike3145, but I still think it's a bit just sad to lose that ability. I'm told some people don't even know how to read cursive. :(

alces likes this.
  17. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I didn't use cursive for note taking because mine was so bad. But it was always faster than printing. Still when you can't read your own writing you do what you need to.

alces and BJJ0725 like this.
  18. Ataki

Ataki Loaded Pockets

My cursive is well, Sad. I do write fairly well when it comes to printing though. I picked up an old copy of "Modern Business Penmanship" a while back, I just need to find time to sit down and practice. Google IAMPETH , Their site has a fortune of information.

Last edited by Ataki, Feb 5, 2016
    alces likes this.
  19. MikeFromGermany

MikeFromGermany Loaded Pockets

Yeah.
    My handwriting used to be - err - in need of improvement.
    I'm a leftie and I found back to the joy of fountain pen writing a few years ago.
    (In Germany back in the seventies we all had to use fountain pens during elementary school.)

Making some progress but still not where I want to be.

surefire7 likes this.
  20. Bradr302

Bradr302 Loaded Pockets

My handwriting is...uhhhhh....horrible....I love nice pens but it feels like I am doing them a injustice when I write.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

BJJ0725 likes this.