1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone own the Maxpedition 'Typhoon' Backpack?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Hellz, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Hellz

Hellz Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

The Maxpedition Typhoon Backpack has recently caught my eye as an EDC/Wood Walking option. The thing I'm struggling with is the dimensions. According the spec it sounds really small, but the pictures I've seen make it look about right.

I'm aware of the Maxpedition Effect when it comes to their product photos (I recently saw someone wearing a Pygmy Falcon in real life and was really surprised at the size!) but the actual size (measured) of the Typhoon is larger than the shoulder bag I'm using at the moment, but as it's a pack rather than a shoulder bag, I was hoping it wouldn't look like those ridiculous backpack purses that seem to be the fashion a few years ago.

I'd really appreciate some input, and if anyone has pics of one on, that would be great.

Many thanks,
    Patrick

2. Razer

Razer Empty Pockets

I actually set up a new EDC bag recently using this pack. I had my standard daily EDC bag which was a Lunata. It served its purpose, paled tightly with my normal use items and emergency basics to get me home. I also had a separate bag set up for ecomms, with my ham radio HT, antennas, and various adapters for multiple power sources (all packed in a small Remora). When I would go on short trips I ended up taking both bags which got very annoying. I ended up getting the Typhoon and combining both bags together. It's definitely smaller than a standard backpack is going to be, but I was actually surprised with how much I was able to pack, and still have room for extra stuff. It's also really easy to add pouches to the exterior for a Nalgene, etc... All in a I consider it a perfect GHB, and great for day hikes and such.

3. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I've had a Maxped Typhoon for about 5 years. It can't be called a "bookbag" because it's triangular shape is not conducive to carrying many books. It does however, suit my needs perfectly. I carry mine everyday with a one- quart thermos, a 27 oz. ss water bottle in the side pocket, and all the edc stuff I need for work. I also use it on vacations and I've never wished it was bigger. I have the Janus extension pocket attached to it along with a hard case for my sunglasses. It has held up very well and I highly recommend this product.

4. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

... Triangular shape? They recently remade the Typhoon as a backpack with two straps. It's new for 2011.

5. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

This is the one I have:
    [​IMG]

6. tonkatoy9398

tonkatoy9398 Loaded Pockets

That sir is a Monsoon Gearslinger, just saying...........

7. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I haven't studied Maxpedition's new products and I wasn't aware of a new Monsoon. But, in my first post I did say that I owned mine for 5 years. Anyone reading carefully would have known I was talking about the older model since this new model wasn't around 5 years ago...just sayin'.....

8. tonkatoy9398

tonkatoy9398 Loaded Pockets

There was a Typhoon gearslinger also, one strap. Since discontinued, at one time I wanted one. Maxpedition reincarnated it with a backpack design. Looks to be the perfect size, larger than my Colosus yet smaller than my Falcon II. No disrespect meant, just didnt want to confuse anyone.

9. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

No problem. The originals seem to be readily available if you still want one. Now that I know they are discontinued I may get a spare.

10. minew

minew Empty Pockets

I have owned the Typhoon Backpack for about 4 months now and I absolutely love it! It's not big looking at all, but it holds a lot. I'm 5'7 and female and the bag is very comfortable. Longest I've worn it is 4 hours out on a hike and it preformed well.
    The front bottom pocket is nicely organized with 3 stash sleeves as well as a mesh sleeve and then just the big open space. I do wish it had a strap for my keys or a little flashlight etc.
    The top pocket is just a nice rectangular pocket of openess. There are no elastic loops or anything fancy, it's just a pocket that holds a good chunk of items!
    The side zippered pocket is great! It holds anything from a camera/gps to an apple or binoculars.
    The velcro sheath pocket also on the side is awesome. You can adjust it so it can hold an item with more length to it. Multitool, knife, flashlight etc.
    The other side of the pack just has webbing as well as a bungee cord to synch down small items. I stuff my camera case in the bungee cord and it holds it nice and secure.
    The main compartment is one section. Looks small on the inside but it can hold quite a bit. I packed enough for a day hike for 2 people and a dog and still had a bit of room left over. It also depends I guess on how much you carry.
    Inside the main flap, there is a mesh sleeve and behind that one there is a zippered sleeve pocket and both are the width of the main flap.
    At the back there is a loop which allows for a hydration bladder to be attached BUT there is no portal for the bladder tube. You would have to have it come out the zippered section which sucks, but I find for what I carry, there is enough room for my water bottle to go inside the bag. Also note; there is no individual sleeve for a hydration bladder, so if you attach one it just dangles in the main compartment.
    At the bottom of the bag there are two strap loops to synch down your jacket or maybe a sleeping pad, hammock etc. I have only placed my jacket in the loops and they held it nice and tight!
    I have seen reviews on YouTube that say state a few cons: Lack of velcro, no CCW compartment, straps aren't 'S' shaped, side pockets aren't mimicked on other side... Everyone has opinions and that's great. Those cons are more like pros to me! So I have no real complaints about this pack! YouTube the reviews and judge for yourself! I hope this helped!
    Cheers,
    Minew

11. Hellz

Hellz Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the input everyone, and thanks to you too Minew (have I just watched your youtube review perhaps?) Very helpful!

It's a pain not being able to see these and look them over before buying, but it's great to be able to pick the brains of like minded people.

It's down to the Hazard 4 Tonto and the Maxpedition Typhoon Backpack for my new EDC bag... Decisions, decisions... :thinking:

Patrick

12. acv

acv Loaded Pockets

I think you're not reading this correctly....

You have a Monsoon - it's not discontinued and still available

The OP is asking about the Typhoon which is now a backpack it was a gearslinger (single strap) but that single strap version was discontinued and replaced by the backpack version.

13. ltbarber

ltbarber Loaded Pockets

I have been running a Maxped. Typhoon Backpack for months now. I researched it,and it is a perfect fit for me. It is a small pack,yet carries a fair amount of gear. Mine is actually kinda' heavy. That is not a problem for me,because I am always riding in a vehicle. The pack is comfortable when worn on the back during the walking into and out of buildings,etc. To get a visual idea of how large the main area of the pack is,hold your hands up in front of you. Extend your thumbs,touch them together. Now expand you hands all the way out. The distance to your extended pinkies is the lenght or height of the main part of the pack. The zippers and the zipper pulls are heavy duty,and have a black finish. The materials used are also heavy-duty. The cloth is stiff,and a little noisy,due to the waterproofing that is used. I keep my digital camera,and consumer cards ina barnacle pouch,zipped into the lower outside pouch. I keep a surefire G2 nitrolon in the upper outside sheath. The straps and the part that is against your back are both well padded,and vented. A nice touch! With the pack on my back,I can reach into a vehicle,and not snag the bag on the door frame. Easy to go into and out of doors easily,too. The pack while on the back is low profile,and in all the places I have worn it,not a single person has asked me about it or remarked about it. I am very particular about the things that I interact with on a daily basis. The acquisition of this pack was no different. I am completely satisfied with it for the intended purpose,which is an EDC pack carried in a vehicle,in urban and rural areas. I highly recommend the pack without reservations.

14. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

Wouldn't this depend on the size of your hands? :lolhammer: :poke:

15. ltbarber

ltbarber Loaded Pockets

Yeah,you're right. No one ever accused me of being a genius! LOL

16. nextmayor

nextmayor Empty Pockets

I've got the original Typhoon gear slinger. I've been using it for about 5 years. IMO, it is small, but just about right for me. I don't think I've ever tried to fit it in the main compartment, but my iPad (about the size of a 8.5 x 11 spiral notebook) fits perfectly in the hydro / ccw area. The main copartmnent is probably 5 or 6 inches deep (front to back).

I've only used mine as a tactical diaper bag and a day pack for trips to theme parks and family outings. I really like mine and have used it more than any other pack I've owned, since my college book back packs.

I've got a Maxped 10x4 nalgene pouch on one side, an Emdom Baby Util-Shingle on the "belt", a Tactical Tailor 1V Accessory pouch on the strap. Add to the a couple grimlocks and a carabiner and it's been very useful.

It'll have a hard time carrying an adult winter coat in the main compartment, but i've gotten light rain coats for the family (2 kids and 2 adults) inside. Usually i try to keep the main compartment pretty empty for stuff I pick up during thr day, but a fairly complete first aid kit and mid size point and shoot camera are usually in there too. Top poch on the back holds my light, knife, multitool, and lighter. Bottom organizer have pens, paper, business cards, and what not. Small pouch on the bottom side has a very small 1st aid kit (band aids and stuff like that). Sheath above that hods sun screen or antiseptic was.

For me it's just about the right size, but when i got it, i was a little disappoint at the size, i thought it was too small. It's really grown on me and I find it to be my main go to bag. I use my Typhoon much more than my Monsoon, SoTech Go Bag, TT 3 Day Pack, or SDS Patrol Pack.

Let me know if you need something specific and i'll try to hook you up or give you my opinion.

17. ChopperCFI

ChopperCFI Loaded Pockets

I have the Typhoon backpack (2 straps). Not sure if this will help visualize the size, but the main compartment just barely holds a 3 inch 3 ring binder. My 13 inch MacBook Pro in a padded sleeve fits comfortably with room for an umbrella and light jacket.