1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone own both the Fenix LD01 and Nitecore EZAA?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Drobax, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Drobax

Drobax Loaded Pockets

Hey guys,

I've been the proud owner of a Fenix LD01 for some time now but there are a few things that I'd wish were different. I really get tired of twisting on and then off, on and off, until I reach the higher setting. I had a Fenix LD10 and sold it since it was just bigger than I wanted and I didn't need all of the SOS, strobe etc.

SO, I finally have been thinking about the Nitecore EZ-AA R2 version. I'm not a big twisty fan but I think it will be different since with the EZ-AA you twist a bit, get the low and keep twisting for high. Not on and off, on and off, and on and off to reach the max like on the LD01. Don't get me wrong.... It's a great light... But I also like the fact of having 130 (or 145 lumens for the R2 model) at the drop of a hat if need be. Otherwise the LO setting is more than enough for day to day for me.

Can any of you tell me the pros and cons of these two? I know that one's a AAA and the other is a AA. And shortened run times aren't that big of a deal for me in a EDC light. Also, I do know there are size differences obviously.

I guess I'm wanting to see if any of you have the two and feel that maybe 10 lumens LO to 145 lumens high is TOO much differences in between etc.

Thanks in advance...

2. Drobax

Drobax Loaded Pockets

Or of course any of you own the Nitecore EZ-AA (or the R2 model) and have any good or bad things to point out?

Also, my LD01 doesn't ride on the key-chain... Just not a fan of a lot on the keys. Also since I pocket carry it when around the house and the keys aren't with me. So again, size difference not a big deal. But the EZ-AA looks like a good medium between the Fenix LD10 and the LD01.

3. Kilovolt

Kilovolt Loaded Pockets

I have two LD01's (Al and s/s) and two EZ AA's.

Personally I don't love the LD01's because I dislike the cycling through the levels. And thanks God they have taken out SOS and strobe ....

Nitecore EZ AA is a nice pocket flashlight that puts out a reasonable amount of light in its base level with the possibility of having bursts of high beam when necessary. I like it very much even if the change of level is somewhat difficult because you have to compress a rubber pad in the head that is rather stiff. In most cases you can not do it one-handed.
    Another thing that must be taken into account is that IMO the quality level of Nitecore is not as high as the one of Fenix so you might expect some problems. I have a total of eight Nitecores and of seventeen Fenixes and nearly all of the former have given me some trouble. Mostly things I could repair by myself but you are not supposed to take to pieces a brand new product in order to make it work.

In any case if you buy an EZ AA choose a dealer whose customer service is renown, you may well need it. ;)

4. Drobax

Drobax Loaded Pockets

Thanks Kilovolt for the info... I was starting to think that maybe the EZAA wasn't as popular as I thought.

Do any of you have any other recommendations similar to the EZAA? Something similar to the LD01 but maybe with higher power but not as large as say a Fenix LD10? (I had one and just larger than I'd want daily) Would the D10 be a better choice? I just thought it had more bells and whistles.

Thanks

5. Kilovolt

Kilovolt Loaded Pockets

Actually two lights that I use much are Lumapower Connexion X2 (1 x AA) and Avenger GX (1 x AAA). :)

Have a look at them, their beam is nicer than the average and the tint is very pleasant. :cool:

6. mister_fox

mister_fox Loaded Pockets

I also have both and I think I like them about the same. I prefer the operation of the ezaa although sometimes I would prefer three modes. I have the warm ezaa and really like the tint and brightness but im not sure how often I actually need the extra lumens compared to the LD01. The LD01 is on my keychain and the ezaa in my bag.
    As for alternatives I Would look at the JetBeam C-LE and the tank 007 from dx. I have the Tank 007 its quite bright and the runtime was surprisingly good but its only has one mode.

7. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

I don't have the LD01 but I do have an EZ in the CR2 format. They are a really nice simple light. I know what you mean about not wanting to twist on and off several times to get what you want. I am going throught that now with my Preon. I think the light levels on the EZ are well chosen. I have no trouble operating the short CR2 with one hand. I can even adjust it so I can get the hi mode for a burst by pressing in on the head with my thumb and forefinger. I also feel the build quality of Nitecore is better than Fenix. I have several different models and none of them have given me a bit of trouble. I have moved away from Fenix because of thier UI and the cycle through.

8. lwt210

lwt210 Loaded Pockets

I own a stainless LD01, an EZCR2 Nitecore, and several other lights.

You might want to take a look at the 4sevens Mini Quark line. Specifically the Mini AA or the Mini123. I have a Mini123 and that little light puts out a wall of light. I was not that enamored with the EZ line from Nitecore. It has a foam ring instead of a spring and that causes a gritty feel when you twist the light on. I am not convinced that foam washer will go the distance either.

I had ordered a Nitecore EZAA and an EZAA warm as gifts and had to send the warm tint back due to a bad UI. Kind of turned me off of that set up. I love the Nitecore D10 and EX10 that I have though. Love the UI on those models.

If you want a twisty though, check out the Minis from Quark.

9. Drobax

Drobax Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone for the input...

I did go ahead and order the EZAA R2 version (145 lumens) so we'll see. Not quite sure what's the difference between this and the Q5 model. I know that the Cree version is 130 lumens and the R2 is 145 lumens but from what I've read, most say that the older version seems brighter. Interesting to see.

I still am wondering if I should've just bought a D10 instead.