1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone own an Alpha One Niner Pack?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Beardedpatriot39, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Beardedpatriot39

Beardedpatriot39 Loaded Pockets

I'm considering purchasing one… Or fifth wondering if anyone out there already has one, experience pros cons etc. Also what material does everyone suggest and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 Beardedpatriot39, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2017
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I really like mine.
    The Zippers seem a little wimpy in general but have held up just fine anyway so far.
    I love the organization and light weight and mine is Black Cordura.

I have no clue what the second part of your question means?
    But it is early here for me too!

Beardedpatriot39 and Moco like this.
  3. Spyke

Spyke Loaded Pockets

Been carrying my two tone ripstop black and gray bag for two years. Best bag I've ever had and I've been carrying EDC bags for over 25 years. I also use two of the clear Matroskya pouches. One for toiletries and the other as a FAK. They are awesome to have.

My bag has been back and forth to Europe, Mexico, the Bahamas and other Caribbean islands many times and of course all manner of domestic travel including camping trips and places of horror like Disney. It's been shoved under airline seats, checked as baggage, dragged in the sand, soaked in salt water (a couple times....diving/snorkeling trips), in and out of the car everyday.

I've done long day hikes with it, over night trips, music festivals, you name it.

Many times I have way over stuffed it and had to kneel on it to zipper it closed. No problems at all.

I have a few posts floating around with more info. Any specific questions you have or if you want recent photos, let me know, happy to post some.

BTW...I'm a bag and gear fanatic, of course, and love to buy new stuff. Try as I might, I cannot find anything I like as much as my Evade. When I do decide to replace it, it will be with another Evade I'm sure.

(No affiliation to the Alpha One Niner people, just a happy customer).

RED-FIVE and twin63 like this.
  4. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

There are quite a few threads about the Alpha One Evades - I think majority of people that own them are extremely happy with them.

I've owned two. I bought a used on in 500D Cordura to play with, to see if I like it. Sold it because I eventually bought a brand new 2-Tone Ripstop version because I have dogs; and dog hair loves Cordura - the Rip-Stop proved to be much better; plus it looked great!

The Evade's organization, look, feel, construction, functionality - everything - is Top-Notch.

I eventually sold it because it didn't quite suit my needs:
    1. I'm a terribly light packer - Outside of the wallet, phone, and keys; I'd be lucky if I had a Pen on me.
    2. Since I don't pack much, 99% of the Admin/Organization is literally empty.
    3. Aside from the computer, my charger+mouse pouch and my boo-boo pouch, the middle compartment is virtually empty.
    4. I never use it without the computer because I think it's silly to have a pack where I'm under-utilizing the way I do.

I literally have a rotation of at least 10 backpacks at any given time, and the GORUCK GR1 has so little organization, that's what I use 90% of the time.

With all that said - if you like to carry a lot of little things around and can only have one pack, I think the Evade fits the bill.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  5. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

biggest cons, the zippers are a bit small and sometimes i have to pull them taught for them to slide easy, also would like a slightly larger capacity IIRC its 27 L would like to have 30L to 32 L maybe more compression straps and lashing points. These are all minor complaints though.

lots of Pros, the water bottle pouches on the sides are super handy for putting random things in, organizes very well, very comfortable and very durable. mine still looks good no frays/ discoloration tears or anything.

I have the solid Gray cordura, highly recomend.

littleme likes this.
  6. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I have a solid gray in 500D. It replaced my EDC pack of several years (Pygmy Falcon). I love it. Organization is excellent (especially with the additional Matroskya pouches). Like @Spyke I've carried mine overloaded on multiple occasions with no ill effects. As for appearance, mine works for corporate meetings/shirt & tie days as easily as a trip to the range.

I also have the Alpha One Niner Weekender travel bag and Dopp Kit that I've used nearly every weekend for the last year or so. Excellent gear.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  7. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's heavy empty. I don't care for how the straps connect. They flop over a lot.

Super well made. A million zippers and storage.

8. Don Griffin

Don Griffin Empty Pockets

Mumbojumbo is right. Straps are a pain, zippers are small. It’s a nice bag, but it could be a tad bigger. Good bag though.

9. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

I have one in black Cordura.

Pro's:

- Nicely laid out
    - Has a contrasting interior
    - Lightweight (compared to a Kifaru X-Ray at ~5kg empty)
    - Zippers move easily

Con's:

- The bag does not sit well on the back for me, either I have to have it sitting low where it is comfortable but the top of the pack is angled away from my back and flops about a bit or higher where it sits properly against my back but is not comfortable (if it had a lumbar pad like the Kifaru X-Ray it would sit better).
    - The quick release clips on the shoulder straps (why?).
    - The admin organizer pockets sit about mid height in the admin section, leaving a void at the bottom, which can make it a bit difficult to retrieve items from there (if you have small items to store, I would suggest a small pouch to put them in)
    - The main compartment "flap" (that has the admin area) needs a bit of foam to provide some rigidity so it doesn't flop about as much when it is opened.

Also I too would like to see an "Evade XL" that is 35L to 40L.

BTG108 likes this.
  10. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

I love mine. I would echo much of the other sentiments- mostly I wish it was a little bit bigger.

I’ve added a TAD transporter tail to mine in lieu of the bungee cord and may sew Velcro into the main compartment, but I have yet to find a better laid out pack.

The Osprey Pandion may be the best alternative, but I haven’t tried mine out yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Spyke

Spyke Loaded Pockets

Since I have grossly overstuffed mine on many occasions, I would not mind a slightly larger version as well.

Could do away with the dividers in the “laptop” section, they are not really necessary.

Foam liner to give the admin section a little rigidity is a good idea too.

12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Which is just your opinion too!

I love the dividers in the laptop spot and to me this is a huge feature.

We each buy for our own reasons.

13. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

From what I understand the back pocket is designed so you can carry a laptop, tablet, and paperwork &/or reading material.

14. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I love mine. If it was 10 liters larger and had a beavertail, I wouldn't own any other packs (OK, well that's straining credibility...). I really like the two-tone rip stop I have, but I think I'd probably order a solid gray Cordura version if I could do it all over again.

BTG108 and twin63 like this.
  15. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Could you please elaborate as to why you’d go solid gray Cordura as opposed to ripstop, or is it just a different color you want?

16. littleme

littleme Loaded Pockets

Ive been using the solid gray past few weeks now and absolutely love it! It's an absolute tank! I agree with everyone saying that i wish it was a little larger though. In a way its good as it stops me carrying too much but there are a few more things i need to carry for work that id love to be able to fit in too. If the main clamshell compartment was a little bigger it would tick every single box for me. The zipper doesn't phase me and ive replaced the zipper pulls with paracord for something a bit larger to zip with.

BTG108 likes this.
  17. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

Totally an aesthetic reason. I just really like the look of the gray Cordura. My favorite color for packs is foliage, and the gray is the closest to that. Don't get me wrong... I still love the look of the two-tone, and the pack is tough as nails.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

steeps and BTG108 like this.
  18. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

The back compartment carries my 15” MacBook Pro and iPad perfectly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. tkill

tkill Loaded Pockets

I have the two tone black/gray ripstop. Carrying it for 2+ years since they came out. Daily to work and as carry-on when travelling. Its the most perfect backpack I have ever owned and I've spent a lot of $ on others that came and went. I got the matroskya pouches, but don't use them as much as I thought I would. Just use one of the small ones as a first aid kit.

The only complaint I have about the bag is its a little heavy when empty due to all the organization and pockets. Not overly heavy though.