1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

anyone own a kershaw leek? how is it?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jymkym1, Apr 17, 2007.

1. jymkym1

jymkym1 Loaded Pockets

i was thinking about ordering one for everyday use, does anyone have any opinions on this knife??? what is a good online source??? i thought i read somewhere that they are making the blade s30v steel now, or maybe i'm wrong....... thanks everybody

2. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

EDC Depot is a good online source, and they offer a discount to EDCF members. New Graham Knives is also a good place to look, and I can personally vouch for their excellent and friendly customer service.

There is an S30V and G10 version of the Leek. New Graham has it for just over 80 bucks. There's a ZDP-189 and titanium version: $125.00 at New Graham.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I own a plain Leek (a Christmas gift from my sis), and I think it's great. I like the frame lock (solid lock-up), and the safety switch at the bottom of the frame is very reassuring (why most assisted folders don't have them is a mystery to me). The wharncliffe-style blade is very utilitarian and simple to sharpen, and the small guard formed by the flipper makes for a secure hold in either a saber or icepick grip. I picked up a kydex neck sheath for it, but consider the Leek just a tad too heavy for neck carry (security is also a concern).

If you do get one for EDC you will not be disappointed. I would, however, avoid using it in a :censored: environment; more than once I've been asked "Hey, isn't that a switchblade?" :rolleyes: Whatever--it makes a good excuse for carrying a more traditional "public" folder like a SAK, Case, Opinel or Douk-Douk! :winkwink:

3. tarrigoni

tarrigoni Empty Pockets

I love my leeks. I have the standard framelock version and the g10/s30v.

They're great knives.

4. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Great little knives, made with a wide variety of steels and handle materials. I used to own a Ti with ZDP-189.

5. MSCantrell

MSCantrell Loaded Pockets

Yep, there are numerous versions (and all of them get great reviews). The plain Jane is aluminum handles, 440A blade. Nothing fancy, just a nice pocket sized knife.
    There's the rainbow version, with the coating.
    There are swirly colored versions, with anodizing or paint on the aluminum handle, I don't remember which.
    There's a Nascar Leek and a Trout Leek, too ;D

Then last year they released couple of higher-end versions. There's a Leek with textured G10 handle slabs and a stonewashed S30V blade. I owned one of these for a while, and I'm really sorry I traded it away. Liked it mucho.
    There's also a polished S30V model with smooth G10.

Then, lately, there's the ZDP189-bladed model. Super fancy :)

So anyhow, there's lots to choose from, and like I said, they all get great feedback. I say go for it.

6. gbaker

gbaker Empty Pockets

A leek was my first “real” knife and its just the 440a type. Be aware it opens fast with and audible click, which can startle the :censored:.

7. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

I've got a plain Leek, and love it! Something addictive with that assisted opening, great framelock, very slim, and a beautiful blade shape.

8. mattz357

mattz357 Loaded Pockets

The Leek is a great knife and I just finished creating the "ultimate" version. I bought a G10/S30V model, and then bought a titanium/ZDP model and started swapping parts. The G10/S30V now has a titanium framelock and is the Leek equivalent of a Strider or XM-18. Careful with the tip and it will last you a long time, and if not Kershaw has the best warranty and service in the business.

9. kamkazmoto

kamkazmoto Empty Pockets

My daughter EDC's a rainbow leek and loves it. It isn't the best steel in the world but is fine for most uses. In the presence of :censored: I would recommend using TWO hands to open it or it will probably get you a lot of unwanted attention.

10. Starcruiser1229

Starcruiser1229 Loaded Pockets

I have the most basic model, plain steel handles and (I believe) the 440 blade. I carry it every day. I am a college student, so it is really the only good knife I own, but I love it. I find the Assisted Opening SO much fun to play with, and it cuts everything I have thrown at it (everything from opening mail to slicing pizza). I do agree that if you snap it open it might scare someone, but that is easy to avoid if you want to. I would definitely recommend it. I got mine at Walmart for about $50, you may want to check your local Walmart (they only sell this basic model, though). I believe they are generally cheaper than most online retailers, and (even if you want to buy online in the end) they will let you play with it in the store if you ask. I know that they do not carry them in some towns, so you may or may not be able to find them in Walmart around you.

Patrick

11. Breadman

Breadman Empty Pockets

I have the titanium-zdp and the s30v semi-serrated reverse tanto models both of which I purchased used and I love them both. Since buying them I have stopped looking for other knives because they have it all when it comes to an EDC blade. But I still lust for a Walmart cheapy because these knives are so :censored: sleek. :drool:

12. edakoppo

edakoppo Empty Pockets

I've got a black PE and a Rainbow. Love 'em although they don't get carried as much as they deserve, probably because they're somewhat slick. Good size, not really a :censored:-spooker, good blade shape, decent although not great steel. Would have gotten a ZDP/Ti model if the budget had allowed and the run wasn't cut short, but impossible for the foreseeable future. Also considered buying an S30V model and swapping into a standard handle, but I doubt I could get rid of the G-10/440A hybrid that would be "waste" material in good conscience. One of the best buys available at local Wal-Marts aside from the Natives, although I think Wal-Mart only carries the SE version.

13. LoneWolfUSMC

LoneWolfUSMC Empty Pockets

I have one. I got it as a gift from a buddy. I don't carry it much, but it is mainly due to it feeling tiny in my hands. I usually like to carry a blade that can double as a backup for my handgun.

Other than that I think it is a very high quality knife that will serve quite well as a EDC. I think with as many AO knives out there (every WalMart and Flea Market has them) people are starting to see them as more common. Remember your average Joe can't tell the difference between an Assisted Opener and a Switchblade.

14. LowTEC

LowTEC Empty Pockets

I didn't have much luck with my Kershaw purchase, it was a fancy TiZDP Leek, and it was my first ZDP blade. The knife itself seems like a quality product but the blade angle was a nightmare, I measured it and it must had upwards 50 degree inclusive from the factory brand new. Was it suck at cutting only paper boxes! Giving the thickness, it SHOULD be a great slicer. Tried to reprofile it, :censored:, it ruined 2 of my diamond stones an dstill couldn't quite get it to 40 degree thanx to the ZDP ultimate retention. After numerous scratches (my fault) and sore hands, I finally gave up.

The AO didn't help either as I constantly have to have the safety on to avoid accidental blade deploy, then when the time I unlocked the safety, the knife doesn't really pop up any faster than a flick of an AXIS, so what's the point of the whole assist opening anyway. Needless to say, I wasn't very impressed and it might be my last time getting a kershaw, well, at least a kershaw with AO anyway. Again this is just my opinion.

15. Elarski

Elarski Empty Pockets

For the most part one of my Leek's is my EDC knife. Great tool, and it doesn't draw too much attention when drawn in public. Holds a good edge also; easy for me to get a shave sharp edge.

My next one will be the G10 Scaled version.

16. dd61999

dd61999 Empty Pockets

I had a scallion a smaller version of the leek with different blade material. I thought the build quality was very good except for two things,

1. the tip was too thin and would bend or break easily, I never broke mine, but the tip bended a few times

2. The blade material would show speks of rust if I just breathed on the darned thing

17. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

I have a Rainbow Leek and like the ability to open it with an index finger. It is light and holds an edge well. I agree that the tip seems like it might break but hasn't for me. The anodized handle is a little slippery. I'm actually considering selling it as I don't really carry it any longer (mostly because it is so dressy looking and it seems like a switchblade when you open it in front of :censored:).